Stop changing the “date added” when file is upgraded

mannyrothman

mannyrothman

I’m unsure why the date added metadata tag changes when the file is upgraded (like to a better quality).

If Emby can remember my watched status, cover metadata, etc etc, why can’t it remember when the movie was FIRST added to the system?

If this was fixed, then a movie that was added months ago, when upgraded to a slightly better quality, won’t re-appear at the top of the “recently added” list. The current system of using the file-based system vs a title-based system just confusing and unintuitive to users.

Would truly love to see this change. This will bring Emby one step closer to reaching the polish of Plex!

• Like 3

Happy2Play

Do you write nfo files?  Date is always maintained.

But sounds like no and changing an item deletes if from the database and readds it.  This has zero affect on watched/userdata as it is tracked by providerid.

If you do then I would have to say there are other factors at play.  But would require more info.

Edited by Happy2Play
typo

Bottles51

If the file is named the same it will not. If you keep the quality after the file like say 1080p and you upgrade to 2160p then you need to rename nfo file to match and the date added will not change. I do this all the time. But you must make the file rename immediately and delete the old file.

mannyrothman

Why do I have to maintain this? Again, if Emby can recognize that an upgraded film is, in fact, the same film (and manages to copy over the user’s watch time data), then why can’t it remember that a film with a slightly different file name is simply an upgrade and not a different film requiring a new date added?

mannyrothman

Ah, I appreciate it! Let’s hope they implement this so there’s no need to maintain these files manually :)

bakes82

Just lock the date on the meta the.  Other wise it works as intended you deleted the file and added it again. There is no concept of upgrades doesn’t make sense, why is it even an issue?  Sounds more like you’re using recently added as some kind of filter for new media which seems like a bad idea for exactly this reason.  You can use released date instead.