Home screen configurable per device

empveg

empveg

Hi team,

Love the platform but my biggest gripe has to be that I can only configure one home screen that then applies to all devices. We have a kids TV, and adults TV, and individual TVs where the home screen for one use-case is not the same for all. It would be great if we could configure the libraries for each device.

Thanks in advance!

GrimReaper
34 minutes ago, empveg said:

It would be great if we could configure the libraries for each device.

Not sure what are you asking for here, Home Screen/Libraries are configured per-user, irrespective of device. 

Happy2Play

Does each user have their own login?

darkassassin07

If it was per device instead of per user as it is now: every new device each user would have to reconfigure their home screen (including every single new web browser session), and admins could no longer set it for users...

Unless they also added a 'set default for all new devices' option. That would be quite welcome sight for plenty of settings like the default theme. (I hate how every new session I get blinded by the white settings theme)

empveg

@darkassassin07 not instead of but in tandem with. One login, multiple devices each with a uniquely saved view.

Why? becuase each TV is in a room with a specific function. E.g. the kids room has all the kids channels/streaming services on it, the games room has the sports channels and even the parents room has specific channels not on any other TV. That is, all my smart TVs have locally configured home screens, all with the same login - would be good if Emby could do the same.

empveg

@GrimReaper I appreciate libraries are configured on a per-user basis but I'd like to see the home screen configured on a per device basis. E.g. If I put kids shows in one library and sports in another and id like my kids TV to be configured to show the kids library on the home screen and the games room TV only to show sports on the home screen. They'd still be able to search all libraries for the account, but the home screen layout is per device. Makes the function of the TV align to the content.

Hope that makes sense.

yaggermr

Why not create a user for that TV called kids and give it access to what you want? Then you can customize the home screen and still have all the content.  You can create users and switch so each TV has the home screen you want. 

ginjaninja

A specific device's settings taking precedence over the user's general user's settings seems coherent. Emby could configure itself to use the most specific settings available at the time. The settings UI might be extended to allow a user to choose to set / delete device settings as opposed user settings and show the existence of device settings when present.

Do devices maintain a consistent device ID as known by Emby? eg when firmware updated, ip changes. Would need some consistency for this to work. Otherwise might be into the realms of selectable configurable multiple user [home screen] views which are sticky to the device id when device id matched.

As media and devices proliferate it not inconceivable that one device might be generally used for audio books and another for music and another for films; and having a preferred setup per device becomes more useful.

Agree in the first instance if separate users could do the trick then that's much simpler.(An automated process to copy 'adds' to watch historys from 1 defined user to another might help this avenue - the backup plugin allows this to be completed manually).