Custom TV series content - how stop it auto-identifying files/folders?

Nzzer0

Nzzer0

Here's my scenario:  I have a bunch of official seasons of a show but also some content from you tube etc. It auto-recognises the youtube stuff as all kinds of nonsense and it takes ages to remove all the junk metadata. Is there a way I can hide this content so it doesn't try to autorecognise it and I can just add teh metadata manually? 

I tried changing the filenames to [filename].ext but then it doesnt see them at all so I cant play them. 

I tried marking all the 'unofficial' content as 'Specials' (S00E01 etc) but then it just marks it as whatever the official specials might be for that show. Also tried this with a subfolder, same outcome. 

<Bonus question: If I have a movie that I want to leave with the series (ie the Simpsons movie), is there a way to do this so it leaves it with all the series but it still grabs the info so I dont need to add it all manually?>
<Bonus question #2: Why does it ignore folders of custom content? (and how do I get to it?) e.g. I have a Monty Python folder, which is full of random sketches and interviews, which I want to view as a folder so I can play them, but it doesnt even show the folder anywhere in the interface, so I can't access the shows, even with 'folder view' ....> 

Edited by Nzzer0
added content

Happy2Play
59 minutes ago, Nzzer0 said:

I tried marking all the 'unofficial' content as 'Specials' (S00E01 etc) but then it just marks it as whatever the official specials might be for that show. Also tried this with a subfolder, same outcome. 

How are you naming them.  But should work numbering them beyond metadata numbering it S00E100 or S00E1000.

1 hour ago, Nzzer0 said:

<Bonus question: If I have a movie that I want to leave with the series (ie the Simpsons movie), is there a way to do this so it leaves it with all the series but it still grabs the info so I dont need to add it all manually? >

No as no matter what you do it is not a Show.

Some will suggest putting in movie library and making a strm file within TV as a special but still manual metadata but would be a copy and paste from the movie.

<Bonus question #2: Why does it ignore folders of custom content? (and how do I get to it?) e.g. I have a Monty Python folder, which is full of random sketches and interviews, which I want to view as a folder so I can play them, but it doesnt even show the folder anywhere in the interface, so I can't access the shows, even with 'folder view' ....> 

It doesn't. Well not by design at least. Can you please show your exact file and folder naming? Thanks.

Nzzer0

thanks for the reply

23 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

How are you naming them.  But should work numbering them beyond metadata numbering it S00E100 or S00E1000.

Hadnt thought of naming it series 1000! Turns out the show it has assigned it as (BBC arena) has a very large number of series, so going to 1000 fixed it, thanks. I hadnt realised you could number it as series 1000, then rename it and then it reorders the series it based on the new name, and also doesnt lose it when refreching metadata.  Some very nice undocumented features there. 

On this question ..
<Bonus question: If I have a movie that I want to leave with the series (ie the Simpsons movie), is there a way to do this so it leaves it with all the series but it still grabs the info so I dont need to add it all manually? >
.. my current thinking is that this would work if I rebuilt the library as a mixed library ... that seems to be what it's designed for anyway. So if I did that, I assume that would lose my custom metadata (and the locking of it) ... i.e. the Series 1000 edits above, so Id have to recreate those.. is that correct? 

21 hours ago, Luke said:

<Bonus question #2: Why does it ignore folders of custom content?>

It doesn't. Well not by design at least. Can you please show your exact file and folder naming? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply and info. I had a relaly good look, and it was indeed there, just in a very weird place. It's classified some of it as some strange old horror series, which I guess is not that far from the truth :) ... so I found it and renamed it, kinda worked OK but now Ive found a new bug/ misunderstanding (not sure which yet!) .. will add info below... 

Nzzer0

So I managed to solve my initial problem, but MAN what a lot of workarounds! 
I noticed that when the "Show page" gets scraped content from even one single show, the whole page looks better. The header at the top is bigger, the age rating and cast appears, it just works. When I renamed everything to "Series 1000", it lost all this and was more like a colelction of movies. So I wanted to get it all back. I did this as follows:

(1) I renamed the files from "S1000E##" to "S01E##". This immediately brought up the nice header and the ratings etc for the series (good) and kept the autogenerated thumbnails from the files (good) but added incorrect data in the episode titles and descriptions (bad). These descriptions and titles are for the series, not for my files ..

image.thumb.png.ae5f7f4f9f2b6e41ecb5f7ed0055c54e.png

So I updated the titles to reflect the shows that were actually there, and deleted the descriptions. While I was working on it, the images suddenly updated (to match the IMDB official images for the official S01E01 I guess) .. 
image.thumb.png.3b242e6cc2e914fc6c81e231f937e1d4.png

Anyway, I was going to be lazy and leave the original autogenerated screengrab images, but this motivated me to get proper cover images. So I added those too and now Im very happy with the result. A lot of work, and I hope it doesnt get destroyed by refreshes etc, but that's solved it for me ...

image.thumb.png.0f383bba73a69212b3ee4c96ffbba944.png

By the way if you want no internet metadata for the entire series, then you could use the new 4.8 feature to remove the identification, then lock the series after that.

• Like 1

lloydcodrington
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

By the way if you want no internet metadata for the entire series, then you could use the new 4.8 feature to remove the identification, then lock the series after that.

I've used this method myself many times over the years..  It always works and you can lock individual aspects of the metadata these days too, such as description only and or cast members etc etc.  Works a treat.

• Thanks 1