Suddenly unable to play EAC3 content

Mnejing

Mnejing

I've recently noticed that a few titles in my collection have suddenly stopped working. The files still play fine on other devices, such as my phone, my tablet, my laptop, my desktop (all using the native and web apps). But for some reason, the TV won't. What ultimately happens is I attempt to play the file, it refuses to start playing and hangs on a single frame. If I swap the audio to another track (say a commentary track that's probably encoded in AC3 or something), it tends to start playing immediately (though not 100%).

I've narrowed it down to EAC3. It seems to affect files that are mixed with more channels than my receiver can handle. It's not entirely limited to 7.1ch content, but it's more likely to happen there. I've tried to do a combination of things, but it refuses to cooperate. Files encoded with TrueHD 7.1 don't have this problem, as my receiver doesn't support it so it transcodes no problem. It's something specific to EAC3 (probably 7.1).

I've done some personal encodes using EAC3 5.1, and they all work fine. I've sourced alternate versions of the same title, and similar ones that have EAC3 7.1 will refuse to play. This isn't limited to a specific file or title, it's something to do with the decoding engine.

It doesn't matter what app I try, none of them work properly on my TV. I've used the Android TV app and the Android app.

I'm at a loss, because for no apparent reason, about a quarter of my library has become unplayable.

I did a log capture at 3:49 EST today (Feb 25/24). The title I was playing was Toy Story 4. But it happens with any number of titles.

Mnejing

I tried using some older versions of the TV app, going back as far as 2.0.90, and the issue persists. I'm using a TCL 43S446 for reference, and I've also tried upgrading and downgrading the firmware on that to no avail.

Without any concrete proof, I'd wager this is some incompatibility with ExoPlayer and FFmpeg. It doesn't make sense that libVLC can handle it fine.

seanbuff
1 hour ago, Mnejing said:

Not legally, I can't, sorry. 

It doesn't need to be the whole file, just a snippet for testing.

You can use this guide to help extract a small clip that you can PM to Luke

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can you enable logging in app settings and provide a log from the app? Thanks.