Made the jump from PLEX to EMBY...but......

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

I have made the jump from PLEX to EMBY. Mainly because all the updated for the synology either stops the transcoding or I get PLAYBACK ERROR when i didn;t get it before. So far EMBY seem fast and stable....HOWEVER...

On plex when I add new media; it finds it and scans fast and its on the dashboard. Within in seconds, but on emby that is NOT the case. I add a new TV Series and it can take a day to add to the dashboard same with a movie. 

I do have over 5600 movies all 1080p x264 and about 800 tv series. I have realtime monitoring ON and still taking FOREVER to get to the dashboard or the scan will get stuck on TV SERIES at 90% for hours.

I have a synology DS1520+.

What am I missing ?

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

On plex when I add new media; it finds it and scans fast and its on the dashboard. Within in seconds, but on emby that is NOT the case. I add a new TV Series and it can take a day to add to the dashboard same with a movie. 

It likely picks them on scheduled library scan (default: daily), suggesting that RTM is not picking them up, likely due to inotify instances limit reached. You can post server log or check yourself if you're getting inotify errors within. 

• Agree 1

chrisrobbins1970

I added iZOMBIE the full series and the scanning issues seems to automaticly start scanning but it gets stuck at 90% or more for a very long time. IF I restart the emby server and do the scan media library under schedule tasks and it does find the new series, but still takes quite a long time

Happy2Play
37 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I added iZOMBIE the full series and the scanning issues seems to automaticly start scanning but it gets stuck at 90% or more for a very long time. IF I restart the emby server and do the scan media library under schedule tasks and it does find the new series, but still takes quite a long time

Yes this is dependent on what options you have enabled and when they happen but a server log would tell up more info.

And odds are as mentioned RTM is most likely the iNotify limit needs to be adjusted.

Hi, the scan isn't stuck. I would just be patient and give it time to finish. Subsequent scans should be faster once the first one completes.

If you can attach an emby server log, then we might be able to offer some advice of features to turn off to get faster scans:

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

OK this is not the same thing as what we've been talking about. This looks like you restarted the server and scanned an individual library, but everything here seems to have been very fast because it had already been scanned.

I thought your comments were about the first time library scan and how to improve that.

chrisrobbins1970

I am sorry. This is when I add NEW media.. Most on TV Series.. I had to restart because it wasn't adding to dashboard.....

nuke11
6 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I have made the jump from PLEX to EMBY. Mainly because all the updated for the synology either stops the transcoding or I get PLAYBACK ERROR when i didn;t get it before. So far EMBY seem fast and stable....HOWEVER...

I do have over 5600 movies all 1080p x264 and about 800 tv series. I have realtime monitoring ON and still taking FOREVER to get to the dashboard or the scan will get stuck on TV SERIES at 90% for hours.

What am I missing ?

I have a DS1520+ as well, but I also have a DX517 expansion bay as well. My DS1520+ is Volume 1 and the DX517 is Volume 2.

I have noticed this behavior as well, after I went to DSM 7.2.x. The "real time monitoring" would work "most" of the time on Volume 1 (DS1520+), but when I added something to Volume 2 (DX517), the monitoring would not pick it up at all or on very rare occasions it would. I would have to initiate a library scan after I have finished adding the new content, otherwise it would not be picked up until the scheduled library scans every 12 hrs.

I don't believe this is an Emby thing, but a Synology DSM thing with the DX517 (eSATA) not signaling a change has occurred to the volume, which I would guess that Emby is listening for, but I could be wrong and this is something to due with something under the Emby hood.

Edited by nuke11

4 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I am sorry. This is when I add NEW media.. Most on TV Series.. I had to restart because it wasn't adding to dashboard.....

OK so during the time of this log that you provided, what exactly happened?

Ninja_Gundam
On 2/25/2024 at 6:41 PM, chrisrobbins1970 said:

What am I missing ?

I removed this flag "Enable reading and writing of person metadata files" In Libraries->Advanced and now all works normal as speed.

"Requires the Nfo Metadata plugin to be installed. This will allow saving your people edits to nfo metadata files but will result in longer library scans." << But I do not get the meaning of this explanation :(

Chooo

On 2/25/2024 at 9:41 PM, Luke said:

OK so during the time of this log that you provided, what exactly happened?

@chrisrobbins1970?