Playback stops at 41 seconds - Army Of Darkness - mkv passthrough

ebgasolinedream024

ebgasolinedream024

I want to use DVDFab mkv passthrough to rip my Blu-Ray discs.

Army Of Darkness, when ripped with DVDFab using this method, always stops at 41 seconds into the film.

Army Of Darkness, when ripped with DVDFab using another output method, plays fine.

I originally thought my video card might be to blame.  I was running a Supermicro X8 with a Matrox G200 on board video controller (though that particular setup never caused issues for playback on any other streams).  Still, the Matrox was ancient and therefore suspect.

I recently upgraded the motherboard to a Supermicro X9 and a Radeon R7 200.  While the Radeon R7 200 is still quite old it's light years ahead of the Matrox G200.

Same file same result.  Stops at 41 seconds into playback.

I believe I have attached the relevant server logs to this case.

Windows Server 2019

Supermicro X9 motherboard.

256GB RAM

Radeon R7200 Video Card.

Any pointers for how to troubleshoot further would be appreciated.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-228b662d-4cdd-44a1-bb3e-1b10128fa304_1.txt

Edited by ebgasolinedream024

pgriffith

What happens if you play the file with something other than Emby, VLC for example?

ebgasolinedream024

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

1.  The Army Of Darkness file plays fine using VLC media player.  The playback does not stop at 41 seconds.

2.  I had used MakeMKV earlier as a troubleshooting measure.  The file generated by MakeMKV also stopped at 41 seconds.

Fwiw, my Expendables blu-ray disc which I ripped with DVDFab and mkv passthrough plays back seemingly fine.  I mean, I haven't watched the film in it's entireity but the sections I watched didn't have any playback issues.

I loaded up the Army Of Darkness file into avidemux just to see if there were any funky frames in the area where the playback stopped but didn't see anything out of the oridnary.

Maybe I've got a bad disc?  I'm happy to grab another copy.

ebgasolinedream024

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

1.  The Army Of Darkness file plays fine using VLC media player.  The playback does not stop at 41 seconds.

2.  I had used MakeMKV earlier as a troubleshooting measure.  The file generated by MakeMKV also stopped at 41 seconds.

Fwiw, my Expendables blu-ray disc which I ripped with DVDFab and mkv passthrough plays back seemingly fine.  I mean, I haven't watched the film in it's entireity but the sections I watched didn't have any playback issues.

I loaded up the Army Of Darkness file into avidemux just to see if there were any funky frames in the area where the playback stopped but didn't see anything out of the oridnary.

Maybe I've got a bad disc?  I'm happy to grab another copy.

So the problem is just this one file?

ebgasolinedream024
Posted (edited)

My Army Of Darkness Blu-ray, when ripped with DVDFab or MakeMKV using mkv passthrough, stops playing at 41 seconds in Emby.

The same file plays back fine in VLC and Kodi.

I went ahead and purchased a new copy of Army Of Darkness to see if that will change anything.

ebgasolinedream024

This is the only disc that I've encountered which exhibits playback issues.  Meaning, all the other movies in my library playback as expected.

• Thanks 1

ebgasolinedream024
Posted (edited)

So I tried the following:

Brand new DVD.

Ripped passthrough to MKV, M2TS and MP4.  None of the files played back properly.  The MP4 file made it to 43 seconds.  The M2TS file made it about 20 seconds.

Took the MKV passthrough file and transferred it to my laptop.  May laptop is about a year old so current hardware.  Installed emby server.  File stopped playback at 41 seconds.  So, the issue doesn't appear to be related to hardware.

Is there anywhere in the logging which would indicate what happens when a file just stops playing during playback?

• 3 weeks later...

Strange. Are you still having an issue with this?

ebgasolinedream024

Hi,

Yes, the issue is ongoing.  What I'm not certain is whether the issue is directly realted to these titles or not.  What I mean is, I haven't verified playback on every single film in my collection.  But, I have been using emby for quite some time and this is the first time I've noticed playback issues.

The issue appears directly related to blu-ray rips of Army of Darkness using passthrough.  DVDFab offers this option and MakeMKV also provides this option.  Meaning, I ripped these same blus using DVDFab to other formats (not passthrough) and the playback issue didn't appear to be occurring.

Army of Darkness Theatrical cut - Stops at 41 seconds.  Ripped multiple times with DVDFab and once with MakeMKV.

Army of Darkness Director's Cut - Video stops at 38 seconds.  Audio goes on for a few more seconds.  I also noticed the video locking up at the end of the film too.  I didn't see this with the other cuts.

Army of Darkness International Cut - Stops at 41 seconds.

What I did notice just now is that on the Emby dashboard the movie acts like it is still be streamed but the counter keeps going back to around where the playback stopped.  i posted a video showing the dashboard.

It seems like I can work around the issue for now by just skipping the beginning or playing the movies in my blu-ray player.

I guess this also could be a chrome issue... I'll play around with other browsers and see if that makes a difference. 

• Thanks 1

OK please let us know if you find anything. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
ryderjj89

If I need to make a new thread for this, I can. But wanted to post this similar issue, but at the end of a movie. The dashboard keeps looping the playback time but the log says that the user finished watching the movie. It should disappear from the Now Playing but it doesn't and there's no options to stop it. Even restarting Emby doesn't stop it.

It just keeps looping from 1:47:36 to 1:47:44.

image.png.17b4c00e3b72d5fa670d89f40e868159.png

image.png.2bded308bcaddd9ac820561dfbfbbcca.png

Edited by ryderjj89

rbjtech
On 25/03/2024 at 16:40, ebgasolinedream024 said:

Hi,

Yes, the issue is ongoing.  What I'm not certain is whether the issue is directly realted to these titles or not.  What I mean is, I haven't verified playback on every single film in my collection.  But, I have been using emby for quite some time and this is the first time I've noticed playback issues.

The issue appears directly related to blu-ray rips of Army of Darkness using passthrough.  DVDFab offers this option and MakeMKV also provides this option.  Meaning, I ripped these same blus using DVDFab to other formats (not passthrough) and the playback issue didn't appear to be occurring.

Army of Darkness Theatrical cut - Stops at 41 seconds.  Ripped multiple times with DVDFab and once with MakeMKV.

Army of Darkness Director's Cut - Video stops at 38 seconds.  Audio goes on for a few more seconds.  I also noticed the video locking up at the end of the film too.  I didn't see this with the other cuts.

Army of Darkness International Cut - Stops at 41 seconds.

What I did notice just now is that on the Emby dashboard the movie acts like it is still be streamed but the counter keeps going back to around where the playback stopped.  i posted a video showing the dashboard.

It seems like I can work around the issue for now by just skipping the beginning or playing the movies in my blu-ray player.

I guess this also could be a chrome issue... I'll play around with other browsers and see if that makes a difference. 

I suspect its related to poor multi-branching of the various editions - as they are effectively 'stitched' together using the special parts and common parts to produce each version.

If the rippers are not handling this well and there is a 'gap' in the timing - then it plays havoc on players that cannot recover from this corruption.

There have been a few badly mastered disks - Black Hawk Down springs to mind - as that had a similiar issue, and it threw off the audio post the 'branching' as the audio/video became unsynced.

The only fix is to use a player than can handle it - or re-encoding it 'may' fix the issue as that will re-time it.

@FrostByte - FYI

• Like 1

FrostByte

The extended version of The Martians is another where the TrueHD Atmos track was stitched together poorly from the standard version.  Exoplayer can't handle the transitions and it will go off sync at every splice, but you can set an external player such as VLC and it will play fine.  I believe skipping or pausing can sometime rematch sound with picture again too.  Another option is to use the DTS-HD track.

You can see several comments on Amazon for The Martian and Black Hawk Down 4K discs about the Atmos track skipping.  However, Black Hawk Down was recently remaster, so not sure if they fixed it, or not.

• Thanks 1