Cinema mode always marks media as Watched

brendanonline
Go to solution Solved by quickmic,

brendanonline

I'm currently running Kodi v21 beta 3 and Emby Next Gen v9.4.15 (as an Addon, not Native).  I'm running Emby Server 4.8.1.0 on a Synology NAS.  The skin that I'm using is Eminence v4.1.0.  

I'm running in Cinema mode to place Custom Intros before my movies.  I have noticed that no matter what time I stop the movie after the intro is played, the file is marked as Watched.  I can stop it within 5 seconds (which should show as unwatched) or within 30 minutes and it always gives the green check mark in Kodi.  When I disable Cinema Mode, the file is marked where I stopped.  

On the server for the library I have the following set:
Min resume percentage:  3

Max resume percentage: 90

Min resume duration (seconds): 120

Is anyone else noticing this issue?  It works and captures the marker using the web player (with custom intros enabled), it's only within Kodi that is an issue.  Is there a setting that I need to set or is this an issue within the addon?

quickmic
7 hours ago, brendanonline said:

I'm currently running Kodi v21 beta 3 and Emby Next Gen v9.4.15 (as an Addon, not Native).  I'm running Emby Server 4.8.1.0 on a Synology NAS.  The skin that I'm using is Eminence v4.1.0.  

I'm running in Cinema mode to place Custom Intros before my movies.  I have noticed that no matter what time I stop the movie after the intro is played, the file is marked as Watched.  I can stop it within 5 seconds (which should show as unwatched) or within 30 minutes and it always gives the green check mark in Kodi.  When I disable Cinema Mode, the file is marked where I stopped.  

On the server for the library I have the following set:
Min resume percentage:  3

Max resume percentage: 90

Min resume duration (seconds): 120

Is anyone else noticing this issue?  It works and captures the marker using the web player (with custom intros enabled), it's only within Kodi that is an issue.  Is there a setting that I need to set or is this an issue within the addon?

I'll check that, sounds like a bug.

Edited by quickmic

brendanonline

I have also noticed if the file has a resume marker attached to it from the web player and I choose Resume Playback in Kodi, the Custom Intro plays, then the movie attempts to load but goes back to the list and a green watched check mark is displayed next to it.  The movie file is never played but the resume marker is eliminated and replaced with the watched flag.  This behavior only occurs when Cinema Mode is enabled and a custom intro is played before the library file.

quickmic
On 2/24/2024 at 11:25 PM, brendanonline said:

Please confirm, that the watched/progress is always correct on Emby server.

As Kodi has no native support for intros, I faked the intro as actually watching the movie (on Kodi). I assume this leads to wrong markers in Kodi, only way around would be resync watched/progress status from Emby. Before I add a fix, Emby's markers must be correct.

Edited by quickmic

brendanonline

I tested with a Movie that is 2 hours long.  

I played the movie in Kodi and the Intro rolled and then started playing the movie.  I stopped the movie at 10 seconds and it is given a green check mark as Watched.

I played the movie again, this time stopping at 20 minutes and looked at the Emby server and I see the marker was added.  I can click on Resume on the web interface and the movie picks up where I stopped it on Kodi.  Looking at Kodi, the movie now has an in-progress icon next to it.  When I load the movie again in Kodi and choose Resume from 00:20:00, it appears to attempt to load an Intro but nothing is displayed.  Then the movie starts from the beginning.

Perhaps a conditional statement could be added:  If in-progress, do not play an intro or cinema trailer?  

quickmic
7 minutes ago, brendanonline said:

Perhaps a conditional statement could be added:  If in-progress, do not play an intro or cinema trailer?  

It's on the agenda.

A Kodi restart should resync the progress from Emby but only works if the markers are correct on Emby.

btw, I guess you use addon-mode

Edited by quickmic

brendanonline

Yes, I am using addon-mode. 

I noticed that when I'm resuming the movie in Kodi, it tries to resume the intro to the marker for the movie.  So if my Intro is 40 seconds long, Kodi tries to resume it 20 minutes into a 40 second intro.  It freezes for a few seconds and then it will either play the movie from the beginning or exit back into Kodi with a green check mark next to the movie, eliminating the marker.  

Thanks for your work developing this add-on. 

• Solution
quickmic

This should be automatically fix, when I disable intros for resumed content.

brendanonline

I tested with 10.0.6 and the issue appears to be fixed. 

Intros are not played before In Progress content.  Stopping content within a few seconds of playback no longer marks it as watched but leaves the marker as unwatched which is the expected behavior.

Thank you for fixing this so quickly!

• Like 1

brendanonline

UPDATE:  I've noticed that since updating to 10.0.6, two (sometimes 3!) custom intros are played before the movie file where previously only one was played.  Sometimes I get lucky and only one intro is played but most of the time it plays 2.  My settings on the Emby Server call for one intro to be played and only one intro is played before the movie via the web interface.  This appears to be new behavior introduced with your fix.  

The enabled addon settings for Cinema mode are:
Enable cinema mode (movies)
Enable trailers

quickmic

Which trailers are extra/wrongly played? Remote or local?

The plugin plays everything reported/adjusted by Emby server. Currently I have no idea why this could go wrong and even less clue, why it should be incorrect after the update. The fix had nothing todo with the numbers of trailers.

I need a pattern for review.

brendanonline

This is only happening with Custom Intros.  I do not have Emby Premiere so no trailers are playing and that is fine.  I have a folder with about 6 custom intros that the addon would pick 1 at random and play before a movie.  In version 8.x and 9.x it would play one intro and then play the movie.  Now with version 10.0.6 it plays between 1 and 4 custom intros before the movie.  More often than not the number is greater than 1.  I cannot reproduce this behavior in the web interface, only in Kodi Next Gen 10.0.6.

I was previously using 9.4.15 and only one custom intro played.  Something has changed this behavior between 9.4.15 and 10.0.6.

Let me know if you need anything additional to help troubleshoot.

quickmic

tested again, perfect on my setup.

Intro1.png

Intro2.png

brendanonline

It's odd that it is behaving this way on my setup and not yours.  I have tested with two different NVIDIA Shields both running the same version of the addon.

I set the option to ask to play trailers and noticed this behavior:  When I play the movie it will ask to play trailers.  I select Yes and it will play my custom intro.  When the custom intro is finished it will again ask to play trailers.  If I say yes, it will play another custom intro.  This pattern is repeated until the addon believes it has played enough custom intros and the movie starts.  If I select no, the movie plays without the custom intro.

Is it possible that the custom intros are looping somehow?  Could I have something set incorrectly that would cause this behavior?  I have performed a factory reset and this still happens.

quickmic

As you can reproduce the issue, please send me a kodi.log in debug mode including the issue.

Send it via PM, debug logs include confidential data.

brendanonline
Posted (edited)

I have sent the debug log in PM.

The first attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Enabled. The movie file had not been watched.  One custom intro was played.

The second attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Enabled.  I played a different movie file than the first attempt (this movie had been watched with a green check mark).  One custom intro was played.

The third attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Disabled.  I played a different movie file than the previous attempts (this movie file had been watched with a green check mark).  Two custom intros were played before the movie file played.

The fourth attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Disabled.  I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie had not been watched).  Only one custom intro was played.

The fifth attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Disabled.  I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie had not been watched).  Two custom intros were played.

The sixth attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Disabled.  I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie file had been watched).  Two custom intros were played.

The seventh attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Enabled. I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie had not been watched).  Only one custom intros was played.

The eighth attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Enabled. I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie had been watched with a green check mark.).  6 custom intros were played!

The ninth attempt had Ask to Play Trailers Disabled. I played a different movie file than either previous attempts (the movie had not been watched ).  Two custom intros were played.

Edited by brendanonline

quickmic

Thanks for the log, first thing I see, you have "plugin.video.imdb.trailers" installed. Beside there are several crashes of this plugin, probably it's playing the extra trailers and not next gen?

Try disable it, I continue log review.

brendanonline

I have disabled this plugin and multiple custom intros are still played.

As info, the IMDB Trailers addon does not play trailers before a movie.  It is an independent video addon.

I am also not trying to play internet trailers, only custom intros from a folder.  This was working in 8.x and 9.x.  It only started playing multiple intros when I upgraded to 10.x.  I did a factory reset after upgrading to 10.0.6.

It's very strange that the number of intros played is seemingly random between 1 and 6 in the test that I ran.  It's not consistently one number of intros.

quickmic

I continue in the PM thread...