NextPVR Channels No Longer Working With Emby Server 4.8

billm97

billm97

I have an Emby Server installed on Ubuntu Linux with a connection to my NextPVR server using an M3U connection.  I was getting all the NextPVR channels into Emby until I recently updated to ver 4.8 and then when I tune a NextPVR channel, it tries to start the channel video (and I can see the request in the NextPVR logs) and then dies and goes back to the guide.  Did something change with NextPVR functionality in the latest Emby releases?

billm97

So I noticed the issue is affecting all my channels, those using an HDHomerun on my network as well as the m3u channels from NextPVR.  I'm attaching a log excerpt showing the activity from the last few channels I tried to tune of both types.

-Bill 

embylog_excerpt.txt

billm97
1 hour ago, billm97 said:

So I noticed the issue is affecting all my channels, those using an HDHomerun on my network as well as the m3u channels from NextPVR.  I'm attaching a log excerpt showing the activity from the last few channels I tried to tune of both types.  The error I'm getting is "No compatible streams are currently available"

-Bill 

embylog_excerpt.txt 577.58 kB · 0 downloads

billm97

OK I'm getting more insight into this issue.  The playback error I'm getting is happening on both my Nvidia Shield apps on 2 TVs and on my PC in Firefox and Chrome.  The Emby app on the Shields was updated to their latest version the same time I updated the server to  4.8.1.  However I just noticed that my IPad and my IPhone, which the Emby apps were not yet updated, work fine.  The play all channels, both from my HDHomeruns and from m3u channels from NextPVR.   This strongly points to something wrong with last updates to both the server and Android apps.  I would update my IPhone or IPhone to see if they also break, but those are my working devices now and I don't want to lose either at this point.

Hi, can you please attach the complete emby server log? Thanks.

Something is preventing ffmpeg from running:

2024-02-25 12:28:46.541 Error FfmpegManager: ProcessRun 'ffmpeg -hide_banner -version' Error Output:
	/opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59: undefined symbol: vaSyncBuffer

This is going to cause more problems than just live tv playback. I'm passing this onto our build developer to see if he can identify the situations in which this might happen.

If there's any information we should know about your server machine that you think might be helpful, please let us know. Thanks.

Just for testing purposes you may want to try installing 4.8.1 again on top of itself in the off chance that might make a difference. Thanks.

Lessaj

What do the so files/links look like on your side? Pretty much all the libs in use are contained within /opt/emby-server, there's a couple that aren't which you can see if leave out the grep on libavcodec.

ls -la /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root       23 Feb  7 16:06 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so -> libavcodec.so.59.37.100
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root       23 Feb  7 16:06 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59 -> libavcodec.so.59.37.100
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 26542904 Feb  7 16:06 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59.37.100
nm -gD /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59.37.100 | grep vaSyncBuffer
                 U vaSyncBuffer
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/emby-server/lib:/opt/emby-server/extra/lib
ldd /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg | grep libavcodec
	libavcodec.so.59 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59 (0x00007fdf90082000)

billm97

In response to Luke's comments, you are correct, playback of recordings fail as well.

My server is running Ubuntu Linux 20.0.4 LTS on an I5 that is about 4 years old. 

Here are the outputs of the commands recommended by Lassaj:

ls -la /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       23 Aug 21  2017 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so -> libavcodec.so.59.37.100
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       23 Aug 21  2017 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.58 -> libavcodec.so.58.62.100
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13918832 Aug 21  2017 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.58.62.100
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       23 Aug 21  2017 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59 -> libavcodec.so.59.37.100
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26542904 Aug 21  2017 /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59.37.100

nm -gD /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59.37.100 | grep vaSyncBuffer
                 U vaSyncBuffer

ldd /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg | grep libavcodec
        libavcodec.so.59 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59 (0x00007fb8fa63a000)

ldd /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff1ff91000)
        libavdevice.so.59 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavdevice.so.59 (0x00007fa7bfd91000)
        libavfilter.so.8 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavfilter.so.8 (0x00007fa7bee0a000)
        libavformat.so.59 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavformat.so.59 (0x00007fa7be6a1000)
        libavcodec.so.59 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.59 (0x00007fa7bc3df000)
        libpostproc.so.56 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libpostproc.so.56 (0x00007fa7bc1c8000)
        libswresample.so.4 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libswresample.so.4 (0x00007fa7bbfab000)
        libswscale.so.6 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libswscale.so.6 (0x00007fa7bbd0e000)
        libavutil.so.57 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libavutil.so.57 (0x00007fa7bb946000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fa7bb7dd000)
        libz.so.1 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007fa7bb5c1000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fa7bb59e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fa7bb3ac000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007fa7bb199000)
        libva.so.2 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libva.so.2 (0x00007fa7baf72000)
        libOpenCL.so.1 => /opt/emby-server/extra/lib/libOpenCL.so.1 (0x00007fa7bad68000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00007fa7baa4f000)
        libmfx.so.1 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libmfx.so.1 (0x00007fa7ba844000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007fa7ba4d0000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fa7ba2bc000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fa7ba2b6000)
        libmvec.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmvec.so.1 (0x00007fa7ba28a000)
        libva-drm.so.2 => /opt/emby-server/lib/libva-drm.so.2 (0x00007fa7ba087000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fa7c0045000)

billm97

Luke, so does this seem like an issue with emby causing ffmpeg to not run correctly, or is it possibly a conflict with the version of ffmpeg installed on my server?

alucryd

The libva library we ship does contain these symbols. Please make sure you have not tempered with any file or environment variable. If in doubt, you can uninstall and reinstall the package.

strings libva.so.2 | grep vaSyncBuffer
vaSyncBuffer
vaSyncBuffer

billm97

alucryd, nothing was changed as far as I know. Everything was working right up until I updated Emby to  4.8.1. After the problem arose I ran Ubuntu updates and updated some packages to see if that would resolve things, which it didn’t.

When you say if in doubt uninstall and reinstall the package. Which package are you referring to? Thank you.

Lessaj

I'm a bit surprised to see another version of libavcodec in the libs folder, I'm doubtful that this is conflicting because it specifically mentions so.59 and not so.58 for the error but you can probably remove /opt/emby-server and then reinstall the package to make sure there's no extra files.

alucryd

@LessajNice catch, didn't even see it. There's definitely something wrong with the installation, so yeah uninstalling, making sure /opt/emby-server is completely gone, and reinstalling should do the trick.

billm97

Ok i will give that a shot when I get home tonight. I did previously reinstall Emby over the existing build but did not totally uninstall. Hopefully you are right and that will resolve my issue. I’ll post my results tonight. Thanks to everyone for their help with this.

Bill

billm97

Thanks for the assistance from everyone involved in this.  I am happy to report that after doing a complete and full uninstall of the Emby Server package and then re-installing, everything is now functioning as expected.  Not sure how that library got messed up after my doing the upgrade, but you guys are awesome for identifying so quickly the cause of my issue. 

Thank you, thank you, you guys are incredible.  I am happy and even more important wifey and daughter are very happy they have their Emby service back.  :-)  This is why I continue to use Emby and tell everyone I know why they should be running it too.

I just have one other question.  I am in the process of setting everything back up with all the channels we watch, recording directories and other file locations for shows, movies, etc.  I have a backup of my previous install.  I know that database structure changed with 4.8.  Are the configuration files for all my settings still compatible with the current 4.8 database?  Or will I have to just reconfigure everything manually.

Thank you again to Luke,  Lessaj, and Alucryd for all your help in getting this issue resolved so quickly!

• Thanks 1

alucryd

No problem, glad you got it running again. I don't have the answer to that question, as I don't use the channels feature, but Luke should be able to help.

3 hours ago, billm97 said:

Thanks for the assistance from everyone involved in this.  I am happy to report that after doing a complete and full uninstall of the Emby Server package and then re-installing, everything is now functioning as expected.  Not sure how that library got messed up after my doing the upgrade, but you guys are awesome for identifying so quickly the cause of my issue. 

Thank you, thank you, you guys are incredible.  I am happy and even more important wifey and daughter are very happy they have their Emby service back.  :-)  This is why I continue to use Emby and tell everyone I know why they should be running it too.

I just have one other question.  I am in the process of setting everything back up with all the channels we watch, recording directories and other file locations for shows, movies, etc.  I have a backup of my previous install.  I know that database structure changed with 4.8.  Are the configuration files for all my settings still compatible with the current 4.8 database?  Or will I have to just reconfigure everything manually.

Thank you again to Luke,  Lessaj, and Alucryd for all your help in getting this issue resolved so quickly!

Going from 4.7 to 4.8 settings should be retained.

billm97

So you’re saying I can copy everything from the  data and config directories from my backup to /var/lib/Emby and all my settings should be there?