Cannot connect to server on wifi network or remotely

natchRoll
Go to solution Solved by darkassassin07,

natchRoll

I have been working at this for a few weeks now, trying everything on the connectivity page and trying everything suggested to others with a similar issue. At this point I feel like I must be missing something simple. I have emby running in a proxmox lxc container on an asustor NAS. That server is connected to a router along with my PC, and that router is connected to my ISP router which i use for wifi.

A while back i did this same setup with different hardware, using a laptop as the server. It worked then, and i was able to connect to my tv.

So far I've tried port forwarding on my windows firewall, and on my router that the server is connected to. 8096 is still closed on https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello natchRoll,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

darkassassin07

Is the router between your PC (server?) and ISP router performing NAT, or is it in bridge mode?

If it's not setup as a bridge, it's preventing everything that's directly connected to the ISP router from seeing the PC+NAS. All they can see is that router.

Either

- change the middle router to bridge mode.

- or, on that router port forward 8096 to the IP of the server then, on wifi clients, use the IP of that middle router to connect to emby (the IP of the WAN interface, ie what the ISP router sees it as)

- or connect the NAS+PC directly to the ISP router

If you want external access, I wouldn't recommend the second option. It leaves you with three addresses to use: the LAN ip of the NAS, the WAN ip of the middle router, and the WAN ip of the ISP router, depending on where the client is. Clients can only ever remember two at a time.

Lessaj

Is the router you're using for your computer and NAS handling any DHCP, or is that all handled by your ISP router? In other words, are the devices on the same or different subnets?

natchRoll

The middle router is in bridge mode, and DHCP is handled by the ISP router. Theyre on the same subnet

tedfroop21

So you can see all the devices on the ISP router dhcp table?

• Solution
darkassassin07

Sounds like it, yeah.

Make sure it's actually in bridge mode. Ensure it's DHCP server is disabled. Restart it after changes.

natchRoll

That worked and I'm now able to connect to the server through wifi. I now can't connect to the GUI for proxmox, but hopefully I should be able to figure that out.

Thanks for help.

Lessaj

You'll likely want to make sure that the middle router is not running any firewall services either, since that should be handled by your ISP router as well. You basically need it to act like an unmanaged switch, simply extending the connectivity of your ISP router to additional devices - "just plug in and go". I guess technically it's managed because it has a management page but you want it to be "transparent", a part of the network, but does nothing except pass traffic.

natchRoll

Ok, I'll continue using it as a switch until i get some more components, and using it as a router actually makes sense. Thank you.