Some questions about subtitles

crabgg

crabgg

1、The browser I use is Google’s official version 121.0.6167.185

2、The emby versions I use are the official versions 4.7 and 4.8.1.0

3、The video played is a 4Kremux resource with PGS special effects subtitles.

emby cannot display subtitles correctly. The position is incorrect and there will be display lag and jitter issues.At the same time, emby also has very poor support for some ass subtitles.

But I played the same video using jellyfin and plex, and both of them could display subtitles correctly. There is no deviation.
Below I am attaching a gif image of the clip of emby and jellyfin.

As you can see from the gif, when emby plays, the subtitles are not where they should be. Only the display of jellyfin and plex is correct.

When playing a video with ass subtitles, emby freezes and cannot play normally. But plex and jellyfin can be played normally.

I don't know why this happens, a paid commercial software is not even as good as a free jellyfin? Even competitor Plex does it better.

The first gif is emby4.7

The second gif is emby4.8.1.0

The third gif is jellyfin

The fourth gif is plex

the fifth gif is plex

Because the ass video emby cannot be played normally, there is no screenshot.

emby4.7.gif

emby4.8.gif

jellyfin.gif

plex.gif

plex-ass.gif

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dad95c02-be96-4f34-9333-55a3e558ee97_1.txt embyserver-ass.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dad95c02-be96-4f34-9333-55a3e558ee97_1.txt

Edited by crabgg

crabgg
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.

Thanks. I hope the official can solve the problem as soon as possible. emby has an excellent enough interface display and a convenient enough local account management system. In my opinion, at least emby should be better than plex.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
crabgg
On 2/24/2024 at 5:38 AM, Luke said:

Hi, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.

I would like to know how long it will take to fix this problem?

Hi, no ETA but we are looking into it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2024 at 12:58 PM, Luke said:

Hi, no ETA but we are looking into it. Thanks.

I paid for another two months and the version was upgraded from 4.7 to 4.8.5. But I found that the problem about subtitles still exists. Even the  software UI has been changed over and over again, but the fundamental usage problem has not been solved. I really want to know when the official can solve the problem of subtitle support. After all, jellyfin and plex both support this aspect very well. If the official continues to spend a lot of effort on those interfaces and does not solve the real problem, then I think There is no need for me to continue paying to use it. I should also tell my friends to quit using EMBY.

4 hours ago, crabgg said:

I paid for another two months and the version was upgraded from 4.7 to 4.8.5. But I found that the problem about subtitles still exists. Even the  software UI has been changed over and over again, but the fundamental usage problem has not been solved. I really want to know when the official can solve the problem of subtitle support. After all, jellyfin and plex both support this aspect very well. If the official continues to spend a lot of effort on those interfaces and does not solve the real problem, then I think There is no need for me to continue paying to use it. I should also tell my friends to quit using EMBY.

Have you tried using subtitle burn in? I had a lot of issues with subtitle extraction on the fly. Plex also burns in subtitles btw.

image.thumb.png.3178f3fb0fd2ef8fed39a1375e6c7732.png

IMG_4230.png