Roku app skipping password

mrkillit

mrkillit

Hi,

When I open Emby on Roku and select my local server it will take me to the user selection screen. If I select a user that requires a password it will prompt for the password only the first time, after that if I close the app and reopen it will let me log in as that user without prompting for a password. It does this even I if power of the TV. I have version 4.1.12 of the Roku app and server version 4.8.1.0. It will only prompt for the password again if I select "Sign Out" in the app. The "Remember me" setting in the app is set to no.

I believe this behavior started sometime in the past three weeks.

pwhodges

If I understand you correctly, this is the intended behaviour under the rewritten login system.  "Remember me" determines whether you are automatically selected on the next entry to the app, but to kill the password memory, you have to explicitly log out.  This enables families to have all users logged in and to change user without having to re-enter the password.  If you want to protect any account from this (e.g. admin or adult accounts), you can add a PIN which will be required to switch into that user.

Paul

mrkillit

Oh ok I see. I was not aware of that. I just noticed the change and thought something wasn't working properly.

Thank you for the quick reply!

mrkillit

Hmmm, actually I spoke too soon.

I just enabled the PIN and completely logged out of the app and restarted it. Also restarted the server for good measure. Now if I login as a user with a password it will prompt for the PIN when I switch between users and that seems to work fine. However, if I am still in as the user with a password and exit the app, when I open the app again and select the same user, it will prompt for the PIN but not let me enter it, but if I hit the back arrow on the remote it lets me in. So I can get in still without entering password or PIN. but now the PIN prompt is in a frozen state and the back arrow gets me logged in. Using the Switch to user function behaves correctly as stated above.

I preferred the old behavior (which just worked like a normal application) where every time I wanted to login as a specific user I would be prompted for the password.

I'm guessing the PIN is supposed to work when I just open the app and login as the same user, similar to the old behavior of prompting for a password.

Edited by mrkillit

2 hours ago, mrkillit said:

when I open the app again and select the same user, it will prompt for the PIN but not let me enter it, but if I hit the back arrow on the remote it lets me in. So I can get in still without entering password or PIN

Hi.  We should have an update to the app next week that will address this.  For now, try going into your settings in the app, go to "Advanced" and then turn on the "Debug Options".  Does that correct the problem for you?

• 4 weeks later...
Tigga5
On 2/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  We should have an update to the app next week that will address this.  For now, try going into your settings in the app, go to "Advanced" and then turn on the "Debug Options".  Does that correct the problem for you?

What version will this be addressed in? I'm running 4.1.15 and it's been been over 3 weeks now since you said there would be an update in a week. Currently I can still press the back button twice to make the PIN screen go away. Then I can use the search icon to find/play whatever I want without actually having to login first, and I can go to the settings icon to change the user's settings. Toggling the "Debug Options" setting on/off does not seem to make any difference at all.

8 hours ago, Tigga5 said:

What version will this be addressed in? I'm running 4.1.15 and it's been been over 3 weeks now since you said there would be an update in a week. Currently I can still press the back button twice to make the PIN screen go away. Then I can use the search icon to find/play whatever I want without actually having to login first, and I can go to the settings icon to change the user's settings. Toggling the "Debug Options" setting on/off does not seem to make any difference at all.

Hi. This issue was already addressed. 
Can you describe exactly what you are doing?

thanks. 

Tigga5
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you describe exactly what you are doing?

I see the PIN entry pop-up. I press the back button twice on my remote to make the pop-up go away. Now, without logging in, I'm able to navigate up to the search icon to find any media I want to play, or I can go into the settings icon to change any of the users' settings.

3 hours ago, Tigga5 said:

I see the PIN entry pop-up

Exactly how did you get to this point?

Tigga5
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly how did you get to this point?

I turned on my Roku, launched the Emby app, and then selected my username.

Tigga5

Anyone?... Is this going to be addressed?

Edited by Tigga5

Hi.  Yes, we're taking a look at it.  Thanks for reporting.

• Thanks 1