Questions of a Kodi & Emby newbie

Crix1990

Crix1990

Hi everyone,

So, finally the day is here, that I go away from MediaPortal (after 15 years...).

I'll go with Kody on LibreElec (on a Ryzen 8600G) and a hand of Fire TV 4k Max sticks.

Since my home is used to ahve a multi client system with database and progress sync, I took a look, what will work best and found emby.
Emby itself is already up and running on my Synology DS918+ (newest DSM 7) and it looks pretty good.

All files are also on the Synology, so I placed in addition to the folders always the network path.

So, since I am waiting for the new vlient hardware to arrive, I have 2-3 questions, that I do not found a direct answer, even if they are complete newbie questions:
What do I need to ensure that Kodi uses the network path to enter fhe "raw" files and uses it's own player?
(I do not want to ahve enything streamed via emby, I just want to have it to manage my database and sync the progress. Playback (incl. 4k HDR with DTS-HD, etc., should be handled directly by Kodi.)

Regarding the streaming via emby in the browser to the PC, how do I need to do the best setup if I just want to use it in my LAN (all Aruba 1G company grade equiptment)?
I have the streaming on "Auto", but 4k material does not work (just a few frames till it freezes), wile the same files worke just fine via Windows SMB and VLC.
Does the Synology reencode all the streams (I see that the CPU went to 100% instantly)?
And if so, how can I do best to reduce the load on the Synology?
Is there a way to "just fowward the file"?

Thank you for your answers and with kind regards,
Felix

arrbee99

Just as an ordinary user, I would imagine you are transcoding and the Synology can't cope. You could possibly try using Emby Theater on your PC (I think it direct plays more stuff) and/or try experimenting with playing different audio streams. Also if you're using subtitles try switching them off to see if it helps.

Also see what Emby says its doing in the dashboard while its playing stuff - it should say if its direct playing not.

e.g.

EmbyNowPlayingexample.jpg.104516a48018c6d8efe3319241543fb1.jpg

arrbee99

Personally I only play a bit with Kodi just to try out different skins and experiment a teeny bit - don't see the need to use Kodi and Emby if you're starting fresh. Obviously up to you of course.

quickmic
On 2/23/2024 at 2:10 AM, Crix1990 said:

So, since I am waiting for the new vlient hardware to arrive, I have 2-3 questions, that I do not found a direct answer, even if they are complete newbie questions:
What do I need to ensure that Kodi uses the network path to enter fhe "raw" files and uses it's own player?
(I do not want to ahve enything streamed via emby, I just want to have it to manage my database and sync the progress. Playback (incl. 4k HDR with DTS-HD, etc., should be handled directly by Kodi.)

If you use emby for kodi next gen, native mode is what you want, but keep in mind. Direct file access is tricky to configure.

Crix1990

Yes, I use this.

Where can I ensure that native mode is selected?

Since I had some trouble to get the playback working (Kodi allways told me that the source file of the video was unavailable, till I finally mapped the SMB shares in the exact way Emby does), I assume that I have it enabled^^

quickmic
1 minute ago, Crix1990 said:

Yes, I use this.

Where can I ensure that native mode is selected?

Since I had some trouble to get the playback working (Kodi allways told me that the source file of the video was unavailable, till I finally mapped the SMB shares in the exact way Emby does), I assume that I have it enabled^^

addon/native mode can only be toggled by a factory reset. The complete Kodi database must be rebuild (complete resync).

btw, native mode only works for synced content

Edited by quickmic

Crix1990

In case I did not have native on (since I did not see that question while configuring it), would kodi do in "not-native-mode" the framerate reset (switching to the framerate of the file)?

quickmic
Just now, Crix1990 said:

In case I did not have native on (since I did not see that question while configuring it), would kodi do in "not-native-mode" the framerate reset (switching to the framerate of the file)?

It was asked during the "install wizard". Not sure what you mean with framerate switching. Unless you configured otherwise (transcoding options), Emby server would stream the file as it is. The rest is up to Kodi.

quickmic

btw, 4K capabilities depends on the used (Kodi) hardware. Without a proper hardware acceleration, this will not work. There are also settings in Kodi for that.

Edited by quickmic

Crix1990

I resetted Emby on the Kodi node just to ensure.

Works pretty nice ;)

And I'am sure that a AMD 8600G will hande 4k well😀

Thanks for the support.

• Like 1