Audio - Capture additional embedded tags..

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi All,

Below is a list of embedded audio tags that could be used to enhance the UI in the future. They are scattered across requests. If possible can they start being captured by the emby db now?

1) Release Type

2) Disc Subtitle

3) Style

They are all recognized by ffprobe, 

So this request is to start capturing this data now vs some kind of rescan in the future. When or if they are available in the UI, the data will be there.

Thanks

-vicpa

@Luke , @softworkz I can PM you a sample file if needed. (For what it is worth, I would expect Disc Subtitle and Style to be sparsely populated, they are optional tags. Those of us who use them would like to see them somewhere in the UI, but they would have negligible impact on other users)

• Like 2

Vicpa

Just a visual example of data elements.

ReleaseType.png.6c1ae4fadcaf4f74d2109ef8271e43e9.png

Disc-Subtitle.png.ad3076ec905afdac55a40e648d5fdbe7.png

style.png.a8303936d3e7eb93ae3b895955c36769.png

-vic

HI, yes these are certainly possible for future updates. I think capturing the explicit status is probably the most valuable addition we could make relating to audio tags.

Thanks.

user24

Yes, it is an excellent suggestion to capture and display more Music info.

I would likely make very good use of Release Type and Style (sub-genre). Another one that I would use is Country.

If these were built-in to Emby, I would go back and retag my source files with this info, if it wasn't there already. At the moment I would not even consider doing this, as it could end up being a massive amount of work for no end benefit. (I have added some Emby tags for Country though).

These options (and others?) would bring Emby more up-to-date with other popular music management and music streaming platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vicpa
3 minutes ago, user24 said:

I would likely make very good use of Release Type and Style (sub-genre). Another one that I would use is Country.

The new List 😀

1) Release Type

2) Disc Subtitle

3) Style

4) Country

2 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, yes these are certainly possible for future updates. I think capturing the explicit status is probably the most valuable addition we could make relating to audio tags.

@Lukeremember part of the request is to start capturing this data now, even if the full implementation is some time in a "future update" 

1) Modify emby probe to read above tags

2) Save to emby db as discrete audio medatadata tags.

3) Stop Declare Victory !!!

4) Users can then know if they work on any retagging this data will be available.

You always implied that it was easy to add embedded tag metadata or do I have that wrong?  

Thanks

-vicpa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HeroHabit

Totally agree! I would love to see the disc subtitle visible on the UI because of how I tag my classical music. I put all of Beethoven's sonatas into a single album titled "Piano Sonatas" then each individual sonata is a disc with subtitle of "Piano Sonata 1 in F Minor, Op.2 No 1" and then each track is the specific movement "I Allegro". It keeps things organized and easy to find but the subtitle doesn't show up on Emby so I also include that as part of the track title which is kinda long. 

I'd love the other tags you mentioned to show up but I think that the subtitle tag would be most useful (to me) in the immediate.

• Thanks 1

user24

I've been looking up the ID3 tags specs/codes, and as best as I can figure out, there are no official Country tags.

If Emby did allow importing of embedded Country tags perhaps three custom tags could be mapped? E.g.:

• AlbumArtistCountry
  • ArtistCountry
  • ComposerCountry

All three could be displayed under an Emby generic Country field.

Perhaps those with more knowledge on ID3 and tag mapping could comment on whether or not this would be a feasible approach? Perhaps just one Country tag is sufficient for most use cases?

(Plex displays Country for Artists but doesn't get the info from embedded tags, from what I can determine - perhaps MusicBrainz?)

(Roon also uses Country, again I'm not sure of the exact setup)