Subtitles not showing in Chrome, OK in iOS app

stlbb

stlbb
On 4/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, Luke said:

Then you have to choose between these options:

• Play with an Emby app that can direct play the subtitles without transcoding, such as Android, iOS, etc
  • Disable subtitles
  • Acquire external srt subtitles instead, our subtitle download features can help with that.

Hi, I find this thread helpful. I am using the latest version of Emby Web App in Chrome, but I cannot see any subtitles. The server I use doesn't have  transcoding. So is it possible for web app to see subtitles under such condition? According to my test, the same subtitles works fine with windows, andriod and ios players.

Besides, I cannot play anything in MS Edge, there is a msgbox saying "no compatible stream". Should I install some plugin for Edge?

Thanks a lot.

Without a specific example I can give you only a quick answer - they can play without any server conversion provided they are external text (srt, vtt, etc), or external ass/ssa.

stlbb
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Without a specific example I can give you only a quick answer - they can play without any server conversion provided they are external text (srt, vtt, etc), or external ass/ssa.

Sorry, I don't have access to the server. But it seems all subtitles on that server is PGSSUB format, does that explain why the web app cannot show it?

Here is the screenshot of Edge msgbox(the video is 1080p HEVC, I tried hardware acceleration on/off, neither would play but I can hear the sound):

image.png.a7f834b3273ed0c46af323b370d34b95.png

Sorry, I don't have access to the server. But it seems all subtitles on that server is PGSSUB format, does that explain why the web app cannot show it?

Maybe the server admin has restricted your access to certain features that are required in order to see PGS in the web app. We'll need some involvement from the server admin in order to troubleshoot this. Can you pass this along to them? Thanks.

stlbb
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Maybe the server admin has restricted your access to certain features that are required in order to see PGS in the web app. We'll need some involvement from the server admin in order to troubleshoot this. Can you pass this along to them? Thanks.

Thanks, I'll try. But I found a thread from 2016 saying that PGS subs are not supported in emby web app, and the team was not planning to implement this feature. Is it supported now? 

P.S. as for the Edge playing issue, I think I found the solution: install a HEVC codec from MS app store.

11 hours ago, stlbb said:

Thanks, I'll try. But I found a thread from 2016 saying that PGS subs are not supported in emby web app, and the team was not planning to implement this feature. Is it supported now? 

P.S. as for the Edge playing issue, I think I found the solution: install a HEVC codec from MS app store.

Web browsers don't support rendering PGS subtitles. It's not about what "Emby app supports". In the case of the web app, it all depends on what the browser you're using supports.

• 3 weeks later...
stlbb
On 2/24/2024 at 5:16 AM, Luke said:

Web browsers don't support rendering PGS subtitles. It's not about what "Emby app supports". In the case of the web app, it all depends on what the browser you're using supports.

Thanks. If I may ask, do you know which browser supports PGS subtitles?

5 minutes ago, stlbb said:

Thanks. If I may ask, do you know which browser supports PGS subtitles?

As of today, none. PGS will always require server transcoding for browser playback.