Emby 4.8 is still ignoring embedded cover art in Music Library

wordlover

wordlover

Good news: new Emby 4.8 is now at least recognizing embedded cover images. Bad news: when there isn't a formal folder.jpg or cover.jpg, it isn't using them as its own album cover image. Example, with images below. On initial Music Library import (everything here is from a fresh & clean & new 4.8 install and Music Library creation and scan), despite every track in this directory having the same embedded cover image, Emby went to Discogs and grabbed some weird, wrong cover. When I manually went in and deleted the wrong cover, then the correct, embedded cover image (same in any of the tracks) immediately appeared, meaning Emby is correctly recognizing it. Could Emby please - as discussed many times previously over several years in prior threads - use this order of priority for cover art:

1. cover.jpg
  2. folder.jpg
  3. [filename].jpg if filename is identical to album directory name
  4. [maybe any other .jpg in that directory?]
  5. embedded cover art from first track in that directory, if it exists 
  6. only if none of the above exist, reach out to external providers (Discogs, etc.)

YES, this will occasionally grab a wrong image (especially in 'various artist' albums), but that's still going to lead to incorrect album covers much less often than under current scheme. 

emby01.png

emby02.png

emby03.png

Hi, please read the last page of this topic here: 

Thanks.

wordlover

Despite what it says in that thread, it is not apparently the case that "if there is no album artwork in the folder then the 1st found embeded image is used as the album artwork (inherited)" - my files DO have an embedded cover image, but Emby is nevertheless retrieving another image and using that instead. I don't want to turn off all album art retrieval, for any albums that have neither a cover.jpg/folder.jpg nor any embedded cover art in one or more of the files. Why isn't/can't Emby use the order above, especially "6. only if none of the above exist, reach out to external providers (Discogs, etc.)"?

wordlover

I am seeing this again and again as I scan through my brand new and very large 4.8 Music Library. Emby IS correctly scanning and recognizing embedded album cover art, but it is choosing to ignore that in favor of retrieved cover art. This isn't very "YOUR MEDIA, YOUR WAY."  When I manually delete the retrieved album cover, the underlying, already scanned-and-recognized cover art is instantly displayed correctly. And again, it's not a solution to just turn off external retrieval, because there are albums for which there is no cover.job/folder.jpg nor an embedded image in any of the song files, and that's exactly when Emby should be retrieving an image from an external provider. Please implement some version of this album image ordering - at least use external providers LAST.

1. cover.jpg
  2. folder.jpg
  3. [filename].jpg if filename is identical to album directory name
  4. [maybe any other .jpg in that directory?]
  5. embedded cover art from first track in that directory, if it exists 
  6. only if none of the above exist, reach out to external providers (Discogs, etc.)

Happy2Play

Will have to test but images do honor folder images but dependent on structure setting.

Music Images

Images are supported in both artist and album folders, as well as images embedded within audio files. Below is a table of the supported image file names:

Supported image extensions are jpg, jpeg, png and tbn.

Several image types support multiple file names. They are listed in the order that they're checked for.

Image Type Supported file names
Primary folder.ext
  poster.ext
  cover.ext
  default.ext
Art clearart.ext
Backdrop backdrop.ext, backdropX.ext
  fanart.ext, fanart-X.ext
  background.ext, background-X.ext
  art.ext, art-X.ext
  extrafanart (subfolder)/fanartX.ext
Banner banner.ext
Disc disc.ext
  cdart.ext
Logo logo.ext
Thumb thumb.ext
  landscape.ext

wordlover

Yes. The point is in instances (among my thousands of folders) where there isn't an image file that matches any of these - I am saying (as others have also been saying for a lonh time) that Emby should use other sources via priority 3, 4, 5, 6 above.

Happy2Play

So in the end per other topics track extraction should be before provider image.

image.png.6c8b64bb90aedc8a29fe266cb8639131.png

But personally, image extraction is saved to folder when I tag all my media before ever importing into Emby.

wordlover

Reasons why Emby should implement this soon:

1. An app like Emby should focus on honoring user preferences and effort whenever possible
  2. Many of us have spent days and weeks and longer carefully polishing our large music libraries and adding cover images to the music files themselves, and to have them literally ignored and in fact overridden by a music app like Emby is ridiculous
  3. It's not that hard to alter Emby code to implement this.
  4. As Happy2Play indicates, "embedded images" are already retrieved and respected and used as Song Image Fetcher - please just add it to album & artist fetcher and let users decide what order they prefer.

• An app like Emby should focus on honoring user preferences and effort whenever possible
  • Many of us have spent days and weeks and longer carefully polishing our large music libraries and adding cover images to the music files themselves

Hi, Emby fully supports and honors your user preferences and embedded images.

wordlover

Luke this simply isn't true. I have posted example after example. As Happy2Play has posted about as well, preference for Embedded Images is an option for Songs only, NOT for Albums. My music library - since importing from scratch into a brand new install of 4.8 - is filled with Album cover images that were retrieved from one of the external services (which I want to use when there are no images embedded or otherwise for an album and it's songs) and which are being displayed INSTEAD of the embedded cover images in every single one of the song files. Why are you refusing to acknowledge this?

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, Emby fully supports and honors your user preferences and embedded images.

OP does wants embedded extraction to supersede online providers.  Only use online providers if no folder or embedded image exists.

Personally, I ensure there is a folder image when embedding images, so this is never an issue.  Unless structure is not honored then folder images are irrelevant.

Edited by Happy2Play

Sorry, if it wasn't clear. The topic that I linked to acknowledges an issue and mentions a build with a fix as well as what to do when you have the build.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:22 AM, Luke said:

Hi, please read the last page of this topic here: 

Thanks.

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Sorry, if it wasn't clear. The topic that I linked to acknowledges an issue and mentions a build with a fix as well as what to do when you have the build.

Don't follow either but it is order of precedence with providers superseding embedded per the image above.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

But don't believe this has anything to do with new beta 2.1.04 app

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't follow either but it is order of precedence with providers superseding embedded per the image above.

I'm pretty sure the two topics are about the exact same thing, despite the title of the other one.

Happy2Play
Just now, Luke said:

I'm pretty sure the two topics are about the exact same thing, despite the title of the other one.

But there is no fix as the server/web client will fetch online image before looking at embedded images per library settings, correct?

My example per that topic.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But there is no fix as the server/web client will fetch online image before looking at embedded images per library settings, correct?

My example per that topic.

There was a fix yes.

• Facepalm 1

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

There was a fix yes.

So it does not exist in the server/web client?

But will retest in 4.8.1.0 and 4.9.0.5.

wordlover

What on earth are you talking about @Luke!? I am running 4.8.1 and there is literally no setting in a Music Library to extract OR set priority for embedded images as Album cover. And the server is still overwriting embedded images with retrieved images. Are you not paying attention to what two of us are amply demonstrating?

wordlover

I beg all Emby staff to read that thread. Luke is gaslighting several of us paying users or just not paying attention to what we are amply demonstrating. This is infuriating.

• Agree 1

wordlover

@ebrCould you or another Emby staffer please read this thread. Luke is not helping nor accurately responding to clear, documented, illustrated reports about this problem.

The fix is in the 4.9 beta channel and will be back ported to 4.8.2.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

wordlover

You could have shared this information many hours and many posts ago, but thank you for finally tacitly acknowledging what @Happy2Playand I have been reporting. Delighted to hear it will be addressed in a stable release soon.

• Thanks 1