Emby Backups not showing with correct permissions!!

electricwildflower

electricwildflower

Morning everyone

A bit of an issue with the Emby backup & restore not showing any backups

About 2 weeks ago on my Truenas Scale there was an update which brought a Kuberneties issue which failed to deploy my Truecharts apps when booting server from cold, all apps got updated to newer versions accept Emby which refused to Update and failed countless times. After a new update was done to Truenas Scale to fix the problems it i ended up having to nuke my Truenas install, nuke all apps (configs backed up else where) and start from fresh.

Anyway i have just installed the latest Emby from Truecharts

App Version: 4.8.1.0

Chart Version: 17.3.0

Pointed towards the Emby install location which is /mnt/Vol1/Program_Data/Emby and also added the backups location where Emby creates backups daily which is /mnt/Vol1/Backups/Emby (not added any media yet as need to make sure the back ups location works) All seems fine. Both locations on Truenas have correct permissions with the user apps getting read/write so all apps get read/write permissions on the Backups dataset and all datasets within this IE Emby, Syncthing, Homarr etc. 

When i drop in my premium key and then jump to backup and restore and choose the location /Embybackups (that's what i named it when doing the Emby install) it says settings saved but non of my backups show. In the Emby folder in Backups in we have a few backups

Emby Backup - 2024-02-07 00.10.0 - Auto

Emby Backup - 2024-02-06 00.10.0 - Auto

Emby Backup - 2024-02-05 00.10.0 - Auto

Emby Backup - 2024-02-04 00.10.0 - Auto

Emby Backup - 2024-02-03 00.10.0 - Auto

I'm pretty sure i have all permissions showing correctly for them to show up but nothing. Do i have something wrong?

Q-Droid

Were those backups created with Emby 4.7.x? If so the backup format and functionality have changed from 4.7 to 4.8 and the new version doesn't recognize the old backups. Unless someone knows of a workaround I think the way forward for you is to install Emby 4.7.x to restore from the backups. Then get everything up and running on 4.7 before you upgrade to 4.8. It might take a few rounds for you to get it just right before the upgrade. 

Did you have a raw backup of the Emby config/data locations before or only the backups from the Emby plug-in?

Q-Droid

Another thing - If you installed 4.8 over the previous 4.7 config/data then you can't go back down to 4.7. But if you started this round from scratch or from an external backup of Emby config/data then you'll have to repeat that step.

electricwildflower

Thanks for the response

I just found another forum post mentioning what you have mentioned and yes it was. Before i had to do a complete re install Emby had an update which failed to do so all my backups are currently on the 4.7 version. I will have to try and figure out how i can get 4.7 installed and then upgrade from there.

I have as stated 5 backups which are all for 4.7 which where done at least a week or 2 ago 

The current Emby install is from the Truecharts and is the latest version which i have nuked and installed a few times trying to work out the permissions issue but at least i know it's not permissions and a big change in the way backups are handled. 

Will go work out how to get back to an older version and report back.

Cheers. 

electricwildflower

Update!!

After going back to Truenas, nuking the current Emby install (using Truecharts) and trying to re install, in the installation i couldn't select a way to choose an earlier version so tried to install the Truenas Scale version (not Truecharts). This let me select a 4.7 version so i thought great i can save this. After installation though when i add my premium key and then install the backup and restore plugin the backups dataset for Emby called Embybackups i could select it and inside it would show visible the 5 backups folders before i selected to save the location for emby to back up to but again no list of Backup configs showing after a restart even though the 5 backups as shown above was all done on a 4.7 version automatically by Emby. I checked the Datasets permissions and all was fine, i tried adding an Audio dataset to see if that would show and i could create a library but no wouldn't even show the Audio dataset.

After checking over every permission it's all correct but nothing shows.

Installing Emby (latest 4.8 Truecharts) and adding the Audio dataset shows it in Emby when creating a library and also shows the backup folder so no permissions issues
Installing Emby (Truenas Scale Emby 4.8 not Truecharts version)  Shows the Audio dataset in Emby when creating a library and also shows the backup folder so no permissions issue

It's only the 4.7 version from the Truenas Scale (not truecharts) app that doesn't want to show any datasets mounted as if the permissions are wrong and it can't see anything. Unless i can figure out why or figure out how to get 4.7 Emby from Truecharts and then upgrade once i have put my library back i may have to re do a new Emby install but i am hoping that's the last thing i want to have to do. 

Q-Droid

If you get stuck with Truecharts or Scale images I think you can also choose to launch Docker image and use the official or LSIO images for Emby. This way you get to pull the exact version you want. It's been a while since I played around with TrueNAS and can't remember the differences between using their catalog and deploying the Docker image directly.

electricwildflower

Ah thank you i forgot about that, i haven't actually deployed any custom apps before so will have to quickly brush up on some knowledge, have deployed plenty of Truenas & charts apps just not custom ones. I will report back once i figure it all out and hopefully i'll get an earlier version of Emby installed that sees any of the datasets properly and i can at least use the 4.7 version to get my library back up and then upgrade to the latest and at least get a 4.8 backup of the library done with all my settings.

electricwildflower

Magically after trying the Emby app from Truenas again (not the Truecharts) this time it seemed to work fine with permissions unless i changed something on the way and it solved it. Got it updated to 4.8 and it's working fine now.

Thanks for you help

• Like 1