Some downloaded titles appear to be corrupted

mannyrothman
Go to solution Solved by mannyrothman,

mannyrothman

My friend, who I have download access, has found that a few of the downloads have resulted in an incomplete video file named “Download”. I attached a screenshot. What could be going on here?

d2a84282-5708-48ab-8653-7d532677e248.jpeg

45 minutes ago, mannyrothman said:

The file is an MKV, [Bluray-2160p][HDR10][AAC 7.1][x265].

hi, sorry, I don't understand how this correlates into an Emby problem. Can you please describe what you are doing in more detail? Thanks.

mannyrothman
1 minute ago, Luke said:

hi, sorry, I don't understand how this correlates into an Emby problem. Can you please describe what you are doing in more detail? Thanks.

Sure- my friend has been downloading titles from my Emby server via EmbyWeb (Safari). A handful of these downloads have resulted in corrupted files (see screenshot from first post). I assume this is an Emby Server issue that’s causing these malformed downloads?

Just now, mannyrothman said:

Sure- my friend has been downloading titles from my Emby server via EmbyWeb (Safari). A handful of these downloads have resulted in corrupted files (see screenshot from first post). I assume this is an Emby Server issue that’s causing these malformed downloads?

HI, not necessarily. It could just be a failed download. There could be any number of reasons for that, e.g. a brief network problem on their end, a brief network problem on your end, maybe they stopped the download mid-way through accidentally, ran low on disk space, or perhaps you restarted the server in the middle of the download.

That's why it's necessary to look at a specific example and include the emby server log corresponding to that example. 

Even that won't tell us everything. It won't tell us if there was a brief network problem on their end, a brief network problem on your end, or if they stopped the download mid-way through accidentally, or ran low on disk space.

But if there was some kind of problem in emby server, or if you shutdown or restarted the server in the middle of the download then we might be able to determine that.

mannyrothman
9 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, not necessarily. It could just be a failed download. There could be any number of reasons for that, e.g. a brief network problem on their end, a brief network problem on your end, maybe they stopped the download mid-way through accidentally, ran low on disk space, or perhaps you restarted the server in the middle of the download.

That's why it's necessary to look at a specific example and include the emby server log corresponding to that example. 

Even that won't tell us everything. It won't tell us if there was a brief network problem on their end, a brief network problem on your end, or if they stopped the download mid-way through accidentally, or ran low on disk space.

But if there was some kind of problem in emby server, or if you shutdown or restarted the server in the middle of the download then we might be able to determine that.

So, looking into it further, it seems like from the moment “movie 1” download begins, it appears to be corrupted for my friend (see screenshot).

“Movie 2” downloads properly, and can be seen by the other screenshot. 

The same issue with the same files occurs on my end as well.

84db5ea4-840b-4b79-a155-72c3119fd647.jpeg

d9f647b0-6afa-46ad-9346-5205ff50b77c.jpeg

Edited by mannyrothman

mannyrothman
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

What makes you think it's corrupted?

I guess “corrupted” may be the wrong term. The issue is that the movie 1 file “Download” is unplayable and has no file extension (it’s a “Document” file, not a video file). While the movie 2 file has the proper name, proper extension, and can be played. 

• Solution
mannyrothman

UPDATE! I believe this is an issue with video files with special characters. When the video file had "Á", the video that downloads is called "Download" and can't be played - but when I changed it to "A" - it downloaded properly! So is this a strange Emby Web issue?

56 minutes ago, mannyrothman said:

UPDATE! I believe this is an issue with video files with special characters. When the video file had "Á", the video that downloads is called "Download" and can't be played - but when I changed it to "A" - it downloaded properly! So is this a strange Emby Web issue?

OK we'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

• Thanks 1