After ASUS router restart "Unable to Reach Server"

esoteric0ne
Go to solution Solved by js28194,

esoteric0ne

After I restarted my ASUS RT-AC86U router, I'm unable to login to Emby through my web browser. Emby still works on my streaming devices, but I can't login to the main Emby interface through any web browser. 

• Error Message: 

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

If you're trying to connect to an http address, your browser may not be allowing this. You may want to try one of the following:

• My emby server is run through a Synology NAS
  • Running Windows 11
  • Tried all my browsers, Chrome, Brave and EDGE
  • I tried to setup port fowarding on my ASUS RT-AC86U, but I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it correctly because most of the instructions I have found have a different web interface.

I have been looking through the other forum responses to similar issues and have tried those methods but I have to be missing something somewhere since they are not working for me, so I'm thinking I'm still missing a windows setting or the port forwarding on my router is still wrong.

Thank you for your time!

tedfroop21

Are you on the same network as the server, or connecting from remote?

Happy2Play

And how are you connecting but sounds like you synology changed ipaddress.

esoteric0ne

My computer, and NAS are connected directly through Ethernet to the Router. I would normally login through my browser to manage everything on Emby. 

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, esoteric0ne said:

My computer, and NAS are connected directly through Ethernet to the Router. I would normally login through my browser to manage everything on Emby. 

Right, you enter ipaddress:8096 correct?  By chance did the ip address on the device change when you restarted the router?

esoteric0ne

Yes, I made sure to add that; howver, when I do that Emby just creates a new server with the same name and has me create new login credentials. Once it is done creating the new server it has no data connections and is not connected to my Premiere account.

I'm not 100% sure if it created a new ip address, that was just a thought since I didn't have an issue before that.

tedfroop21

If  you open the Asus management page, go to the Network Map page and find the button that says "View List"  it should show a list of all the devices connected to your network.

Find the one that is your server.   There should be an ip address associated with it.  

Open a new window in your browser and type the number (which should go like 192.168.1.71)  and add :8096 to the end of it. (192.168.1.71:8096)

That should connect you.

Once its working Read This. It tells you how to set things up so the server address stays the same the next time you reboot.

• 2 weeks later...
esoteric0ne

When I did this it just says it can't be reached.

• Solution
js28194
Posted (edited)

Assuming on same network (port forwarding will do nothing for this)  identify your server ip address first.  You mentioned emby apps work on streaming devices (streaming apps self discover the server anyway), so click on the the little user icon on top right and goto manage server, it should tell your internal ip address.  Note it.  Now goto a computer, shell to dos (start, run, CMD hit enter) then try to ping the Server ip address.  Command is "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" remote the quotes and put in the ip instead of xxxx.  If successful, then goto the web browser and http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8096

Push come to shove, install Angry IP Scanner on a computer, refer to my Lasp post here (

)

Edited by js28194
  • Thanks 1

esoteric0ne

@js28194

Thank you my friend, I just went straight away with Angy IP Scanner, got the proper IP popped it in, and it worked instantly!

I marked it as the solution so we should be good to go.

@Luke

It most def did help and problem solved!

• Thanks 1