looking for the best way to impliment this scenerio..

BigBillSD
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

BigBillSD

We record OTA shows on a local PC to my home which is probably a fairly standard way to use Emby.  That said, we spend many months each year traveling around the country in a motor-home (MH).  We often have cellular service or Starlink, but not always,  and for the last 7 years we have been using SageTV at home and in the MH.  I've been trans-coding the MPEG-TS shows to H.264 files, to make them smaller, then moves them to a Dropbox that uploads them to the SageTV DVR in the MH whenever there is cell/starlink service available.  The problem with SageTV is the dearth of current clients (there are NONE).  So this summer I want to implement a new system that has newer client capability's (that can play H.265 video, so they can be compressed even smaller and still look good on a 55" from up close)   Streaming is not an option as we often boon-dock far from cell signals, (and even Starlink signals) so moving files will be the norm for the foreseeable future.  

The files have the "S01E01" required TV show naming structure, but creating the the folder structure I hear Emby wants is probably not going to happen, (Is that Required?)  I have purchased the emby premium month to month service to see if we can use Emby successfully in this regard. 

Anyone have suggesting on how to make "This Scenario" work?  Or maybe a better way, of coarse, sans streaming?    Also, recording OTA is not usually an option where we are camping. 

Thanks, Bill

PS.  I see an option for H.265 trans-coding in Emby.  I will look at that later to see if I can get rid of my batch trans-coding jobs.  Right now, they work well, having been debugged over many years. 

JuJuJurassic

Emby with SSDs, remote cloud based version of Sonarr etc, with a VPN to emby. Make sure sonarr box has plenty of space. Once you connect emby to Sonarr via the VPN, it will download the TV shows to your local Emby. You might need a remote reboot of sonarr to "kick"it, but all the **ARRs will be on the same box. Make sure you set the profiles to exclude 4K.

BigBillSD
1 hour ago, JuJuJurassic said:

Emby with SSDs, remote cloud based version of Sonarr etc, with a VPN to emby. Make sure sonarr box has plenty of space. Once you connect emby to Sonarr via the VPN, it will download the TV shows to your local Emby. You might need a remote reboot of sonarr to "kick"it, but all the **ARRs will be on the same box. Make sure you set the profiles to exclude 4K.

I'm not sure how this info helps me?  Seems just a lot more complicated.   I get my shows via OTA and its been working for 20+ years.  KISS has always worked best for me.  -Bill 

reneboulard

We travel in RV for week at a time, In the RV I use a projector with kodi to play my emby files.

Emby does not work if you do not have internet for a while so I use kodi, since the emby library can be easely integrated in kodi.

All my files are HEVC transcoded after recording in Emby with a post processing script.

In emby I save the metadata with nfo file and the image in the folder with the recording (options available in the library section)

I copy my emby library on a usb hhd (5 tb) and import them in the kodi app in my projector.

Hope this help.

Edited by reneboulard

BigBillSD
14 minutes ago, reneboulard said:

Emby does not work if you do not have internet for a while so I use kodi, since the emby library can be easily integrated in kodi.

Emby doesn't work without a working internet connection?   That's a show stopper!   That would be a show stopper at home too.  You never know when the internet might go away and someone would want to watch TV.  Yikes!   I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.   -Bill

pwhodges

Emby requires Internet access to verify that Premiere is available when a device that has not been used for a week calls for a Premiere feature.  In principle, then, it can go for a week without access, but people often find problems with that, possibly because they do not realise the requirement applies to every affected device individually.

Paul

BigBillSD

Interesting,  do they have a setting that we can check to have it go every time a client is turned on to validate it for the next 7 days?  Or is there a script that could be run to facilitate that?  That way it would only be an issue if the client wasn't used for 7 days in a row and that day the internet was not available due to being camped too far from civilization.  When traveling its very important to keep the WAF in a good state.  -Bill

BigBillSD

I am doing some testing with OTA show files I moved into Embys TVshows folder.  They have the S01E01 (actually their real season/episode number) and have done a scan of that library.  Those shows have not showed up in the tvshows pages.     I did the same test with Plex and SageTV, they showed up immediately after the library scan.  I guess this means the S01E01 I read about in another post was wrong then, or am I missing something?  -Bill     

3 hours ago, BigBillSD said:

I am doing some testing with OTA show files I moved into Embys TVshows folder.  They have the S01E01 (actually their real season/episode number) and have done a scan of that library.  Those shows have not showed up in the tvshows pages.     I did the same test with Plex and SageTV, they showed up immediately after the library scan.  I guess this means the S01E01 I read about in another post was wrong then, or am I missing something?  -Bill     

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? How are your files named and organized?

BigBillSD

I just have my shows dumped into a TV Show library folder like C:\TVSHOWS.   Here are examples of show names.   All the important ones have the S01E01 naming convention.  -Bill

image.png.75d81b3bae11171b98972dc6c459f63b.png

• Solution

Currently series folders are required:

TV Naming

We plan to be able to accommodate a mish-mash style structure in future updates, but we're not quite there yet.

BigBillSD
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Currently series folders are required: TV Naming We plan to be able to accommodate a mish-mash style structure in future updates, but we're not quite there yet.

Thanks for that info.  Not sure how I missed that link you provided.  Currently I am going to stick with OTA recording from my SageTV server as its been bulletproof for so long.  A few years back I was testing plex's ota recording and it failed spectacularly at something Sage had been doing well since the early 2000's in our home.  (if only someone would make a modern client for it)   I would like to move to something that can do it all with one tool, but right now that's not available.   Once you implement that "mish-mash" capability I will come back and reevaluate Emby and also look at its OTA recording capability too.  That "mish-mash" is one of the biggest requirements for us as we spend so much time in the Motorhome traveling now. Right now plex will do that, so we will use SageTV to record shows and then transcode and move them when there is connectivity via DB to the motorhome and use plex for its clients.  It would be nice to know if we are talking months or years for the mishmash changes...   So I could set a tickler.  -Bill