Ubuntu Server - upgrade to 4.8 fail - Emby crash after startup - fixed

psybertech

psybertech

Greetings.

I found the answer to this, but figured I'd share just in case someone else runs into this...

PROBLEM:

I tried 4.8.0 and had this issue a couple weeks ago but didn't report it and just reverted to 4.7.

But today I upgraded to 4.8.1 and it is the same as I experienced with 4.8.0. (same with 4.9 betas as well).

Once the upgrade is complete and I start the server up, it just dies. I don't touch the server for 10 minutes and when I check, the emby app has died. Restarting app or server has no change to the issue.

Log attached for the first boot after upgrade.

I tried again after removing the EmbyScripterX plugin (only thing I noticed as an error in the log) and the same result. Server starts and just stops.

So I tried a few more times but noticed something on my last attempt that I missed during the unpacking and upgrade of Emby previously:

emby-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.27); however: Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.23-0ubuntu11.3

This warning/error did not prevent Emby from upgrading. It would install and then allow me to start Emby server and then would die as I stated - the log attached shows no issues I could see really.

FIX:

I was on Ubuntu 16 server (yes, I know, old), so I couldn't easily upgrade libc so I decided to do a full distro upgrade to 18 server and then Emby installed and worked normally.

Just figured I would share.

cheers!

j

embyserver.zip

Edited by psybertech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Paxalou
Posted (edited)

Hi, almost same thing here :

Dependency problems prevent configuration of emby-server:
 emby-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.27); however:
  Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.24-11+deb9u3

I had to purge and reinstall the older release, and now it is working.
But how can I upgrade to last version ? I think I have a old Debian release :

lsb_release –a :
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch)
Release:    9.1
Codename:    stretch

Edited by Paxalou

Lessaj

Yes Debian 9 is old and EOL.

Debian 9.13 was released July 18th, 2020. Debian 9.0 was initially released on June 17th, 2017. The release included many major changes, described in our press release and the Release Notes.

Debian 9 has been superseded by Debian 10 (buster). Security updates have been discontinued as of July 6th, 2020.

Stretch also had benefited from Long Term Support (LTS) until the end of June 2022. The LTS was limited to i386, amd64, armel, armhf and arm64. All other architectures were no longer supported in stretch. For more information, please refer to the LTS section of the Debian Wiki.

Paxalou
Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 8:14 PM, Luke said:

@Paxalou are you able to update Debian?

I don't think so. It's on a distant server, and I'd better subscribe to another one and make a new reinstall, but I have no time to do this at the moment.
Is there a way to have Emby 4.8 working on Debian Stretch ?

Edited by Paxalou

On 5/13/2024 at 2:13 PM, Paxalou said:

I don't think so. It's on a distant server, and I'd better subscribe to another one and make a new reinstall, but I have no time to do this at the moment.
Is there a way to have Emby 4.8 working on Debian Stretch ?

Hi, not currently. You might have to keep it on Emby Server 4.7.14. Please let us know how things go and if you're able to update the OS. Thanks.