Ubuntu Server - upgrade to 4.8 fail - Emby crash after startup - fixed

psybertech

psybertech

Greetings.

I found the answer to this, but figured I'd share just in case someone else runs into this...

PROBLEM:

I tried 4.8.0 and had this issue a couple weeks ago but didn't report it and just reverted to 4.7.

But today I upgraded to 4.8.1 and it is the same as I experienced with 4.8.0. (same with 4.9 betas as well).

Once the upgrade is complete and I start the server up, it just dies. I don't touch the server for 10 minutes and when I check, the emby app has died. Restarting app or server has no change to the issue.

Log attached for the first boot after upgrade.

I tried again after removing the EmbyScripterX plugin (only thing I noticed as an error in the log) and the same result. Server starts and just stops.

So I tried a few more times but noticed something on my last attempt that I missed during the unpacking and upgrade of Emby previously:

emby-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.27); however: Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.23-0ubuntu11.3

This warning/error did not prevent Emby from upgrading. It would install and then allow me to start Emby server and then would die as I stated - the log attached shows no issues I could see really.

FIX:

I was on Ubuntu 16 server (yes, I know, old), so I couldn't easily upgrade libc so I decided to do a full distro upgrade to 18 server and then Emby installed and worked normally.

Just figured I would share.

cheers!

j

embyserver.zip

Edited by psybertech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1