Roku playback keep spinning and not playing

moviesandtv56

moviesandtv56

Since the new update, 4.8, my playback is having issue, spinning dial, percent coming up, going to 45% then 33%, then 50%, then doesn't play.  Did something go wrong with the new update?  Should I downgrade to an older version?

moviesandtv56

Update on this, seems to only be the TV shows, not the movies, strange.

rookslide

I am having the same issue except for me I get no more than a 26% and then it fails every time if I get any percentage at all. 

Before the update we would occasionally see the buffering spinner and it would sit at 33% for a bit before continuing but now it never streams at all. Movies and recordings are fine but no Live TV. My wife like to check local news and weather frequently so we found this problem the same day we updated but I thought it was something on my end until I saw all the feedback after this update now I suspect something broke in the update...

I attached my logs from just trying to watch something. Still failing.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8d13b0c5-85bf-4985-906b-8b177900fc52_1.txt

Spoiler

2024-02-19 04:19:05.229 Error Server: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.1.0
    Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /usr/bin/ffdetect-emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
    Operating system: Linux version 6.7.1-arch1-1 (linux@archlinux) (gcc (GCC) 13.2.1 20230801, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.41.0) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:14:
    Framework: .NET 6.0.26
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/6.0.26/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /usr/lib/emby-server
    System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Emby.LiveTV.Api.ProgressiveFileCopier.CopyFile(String path, PipeWriter writer, IFileSystem fileSystem, IStreamHelper streamHelper, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost httpHost, IServerApplicationHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, IStreamHelper streamHelper, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.LiveTV
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit,DirectPlayError

VideoBitrate=5216000 (Video Quality setting bitrate maximum) <  BitRate:5989959 (Video Stream bitrate)

If you raise the video quality bitrate you might be able to get around ffmpeg having to convert the video stream. It can then copy it and direct play. But it also shows DirectPlayError on there for Transcode Reason. Which to me, means it tried to already copy the file and failed and fell back to this point where we are. But... seeing the bitrate is already too low for the file to play directly in the first place this is contradicting. I am seeing issues with there actually being a problem causing the DirectPlayError. Something is confused here.

@rookslideThe above information is derived from your logs. Thank you very much. Can you please raise your video quality above 6Mb/sec and if you are on LAN please raise it as high as possible. If you are using AUTO for video quality it may have picked too conservative a value. It appears something in how the item is being transcoded is causing problems.

@LukeAny ideas?

Edited by speechles

rookslide

You mean to try and raise the video quality in the playback section of the main app correct? 

If so I did raise it to 1080 - 25Mbps and it still errors out on screen not even spinning for more than 5 seconds. This is attempting playback through the app itself on another PC in the house on LAN not Wifi. ROKU app does the same. I also raised it in the app on the ROKU device which is a television using wifi but nonetheless this problem didn't happen at all before the most recent update either on the app through lan or on tv through wifi... 

Everything had been set to auto prior to making this change...

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a0425571-a145-47c2-bdf7-9724adce0265_1.txt

Edited by rookslide

rookslide

EMBY is also holding on to the transcode files until it is restarted or a new stream is attempted. Shouldn't it let go of the files once the stream has been released from the client app? This seems different to me.

moviesandtv56

Sorry guys, it was the same error as before, somehow the roku playback got reset back to auto and I didn't check.  I reset it back to a fixed setting and that fixed it.  Hope I remember to check that next time.  I suppose it happened when rokup pushed their last update.  Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, rookslide said:

This is attempting playback through the app itself on another PC in the house on LAN not Wifi. ROKU app does the same.

This happens on BOTH the web app and the Roku app?

@moviesandtv56Glad the problem got sorted. Excellent! Going to borrow your thread for a bit to help this other fellow. Hope you do not mind.

Edited by speechles

rookslide

So has there been any update to why this is happening on the Roku and PC but not on my iPhone. I've made no other changes to the system except for EMBY so I am thinking something changed in how the streams from the HDHomerun Tuner are handled... Been more than a week and no other feedback...

Hi, Emby Server 4.8.3 will be rolling out today. Can you please let us know if this update resolves your issue? Thanks !