Can Emby Server be used with MinimServer?

RoySim

RoySim

Hi - I am looking for a single media app. on my QNAP TS-251 that will play all my media (photos, movies, music) to all the family Android devices (tablets, phones, Android TV) and am trialling Emby. It is looking good except for the music player. My music collection is 90% classical music and most media players, including Emby, do not handle classical properly. I currently use MinimServer, which is excellent, on the QNAP with BubbleUpnp as client on devices and Sony Media Player on Android TV. As far as I remember both of these apps. recognised MinimServer automatically. The Emby client does not do this.

Is there any way that I can configure the Emby Server so that I can set up a Music Library using MinimServer which will then be recognised by the Emby clients??

You will see from my question that I am not technical so please keep any replies simple!

Thanks and best wishes - Roy

Hi, why do you think Emby doesn’t handle classical properly?

RoySim

Hi Luke. Perhaps more accurate if I had written that with my tagging and folder/file structure Emby does not give the results I want.

My starting point for choosing music to play is usually either Genre or Composer. After selecting a Genre I am getting an alphabetic listing of all albums in my library whereas I need Genre>Composer>Album>Movement or song. After selecting a Composer I get an alphabetic list of all movements or songs but I need Composer>Album>Movement or song. All my tagging was done with Foobar 2000 or earlier releases, which is described in https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:ID3_Tag_Mapping

The folder/file structure I use is QNAPname>Music>Final>Composer>Work (equiv. to Album Title)>Movement etc (equiv. to Track Title). Each Work folder also contains album art - cover.jpg and back.jpg. I think this structure will be common in classical music collections. I loaded the Final folder into my newly-created Emby Music library.

As background I finished digitisation of my collection in about 2010 . There was a lot of chat on the Forums of the day about the lack of a media player for classical music - Foobar was about it. MinimServer came out in 2012 and, as I say in my note, is excellent. There may be other suitable players by now but I am not aware of them.

Hope this helps - best wishes - Roy

After selecting a Genre I am getting an alphabetic listing of all albums in my library whereas I need Genre>Composer>Album>Movement or song

Did you try using the Composers tab? you can filter that by genre.

RoySim

Hi - my second post may not have been clear on how I select my music.

20 hours ago, RoySim said:

My starting point for choosing music to play is usually either Genre or Composer. After selecting a Genre I am getting an alphabetic listing of all albums in my library whereas I need Genre>Composer>Album>Movement or song. After selecting a Composer I get an alphabetic list of all movements or songs but I need Composer>Album>Movement or song. All my tagging was done with Foobar 2000 or earlier releases, which is described in https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:ID3_Tag_Mapping

I meant that selecting a Genre or Composer is my first selection. When I want to decide type of music to listen to I want to select Genre and then decide on a composer and finally select an album.. If I know which composer I want to listen to I want to select Composer and then either album directly or genre followed by album.  Instead, I get the results I listed.

Using the current Composer tab to find an album through Genre doesn't work. For example, if I select Beethoven and then Chamber Music Emby lists all the Album titles in the library, not just Beethoven, and does not show their composers. Also, because only those Genres tagged for that Composer are shown, it would not be possible to meet my first criterion of selecting by Genre.

Is connecting to MinimServer a possibility? It has a port assigned on the NAS but I cannot connect to it from the client (altho' I am still using trial version prior to going to Premiere, which may be the problem). I would much prefer for Emby to handle my music but an alternative might be to have MinimServer as a second server and to be able to have it as a default server for my music library.

Thanks - Roy

RoySim

Hi - great news, thank you. BubbleUpnp is a product that handles classical music tags very well - might be worth a look??

I assume that any changes will take some time to be implemented. In the shorter timescale would it be possible to provide a link within Emby to the Minimserver server so that the Emby clients can access music that way??

Thanks and best wishes - Roy

RoySim

Luke - I have been looking at more detail of BubbleUpnp structure.

After selecting the appropriate Music library, the Bubble selections include Artist (Artist > Album > Tracks) and Album (Album > Tracks) which I think mirrors Emby and meets most users' needs.

In addition, from the Library user can select Composer which allows selection of Album among others and so Composer > Album > Tracks or the user can select Genre > Genre Category > Composer > Album > Tracks.  It is the implementation of these 2 options which give the full flexibility which I believe are needed for a classical music player.

After following the thread you highlight above, Bubble has implemented the Genre screen by giving these options for each Genre category:

Albums

Items (Tracks)

Artist

Date

All Artists

Composer

which is very similar to the structure in the last 2 posts of that thread. However, it is the implementation of Composer below Genre in Bubble which I think differs to Emby.

Emby  Library > Genre > Genre Category > List of all Albums in that Genre which can be sorted by Composer BUT Composer not identified nor is it possible to select Albums of a particular Composer

Bubble Library > Genre Category > Composer (as above) > selection screen of Albums/Items/Artist/Date/All artists/Composer, which allows groupings to be displayed rather than lists.

Best wishes - Roy

BubbleUpnp does have similar requirements but that doesn't mean I would necessarily say that I think their user interface is something I'd want to take inspiration from.

Anyway I think what we have coming for the music genre screen is something that will be able to satisfy most users.

RoySim

Great news about the Genre screen - I look forward to it.

I was using Bubble as an example because it is what I am familiar with and I know it meets my needs. I accept that it is the function that is important and not necessarily the interface

Best wishes - Roy

• Thanks 1