Minor Annoying 4.8.1 behaviour change - Home Button (browser)

DarkStar1977

DarkStar1977

Since I've upgraded to 4.8.1, I've found an (for me) annoying behaviour change with the Home button:

Before updating, if you click on the Home button, this forced the interface to reload when you're at "Home" Page, very useful to reload the interface after you Scan Library Files, to reload the interface and see changes on the Home page:

ScanLibFiles.jpg.13b402cba0f7e1bcf847b40a2e7c7048.jpg

Since the upgrade, if you click on the "Home" button, this does nothing, forcing you to refresh the screen by the browser Reload button, that depending on your browser configuration forces you to login again.

Edited by DarkStar1977

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? Thanks.

DarkStar1977

On version 4.7, when you click on the Home Button being at home screen, the content section was refreshed:

Home Screen:

HomeScreenc.thumb.jpg.2a88bb5ba6db0aff1dc487fff9cbaafe.jpg

Home Button:

HomeButton.jpg.1565bdf0470cd61630308b1e785282b4.jpg

Content Section:

Content.thumb.jpg.c35a67d5b171f25728e0cc7d83129c04.jpg

In 4.8, clicking on Home Button, being at home screen, does nothing.

Hope now is clear.

Edited by DarkStar1977

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

But what makes you think it does nothing?

You can watch the dev console as 4.7 would actually reload the home page where 4.8 does nothing from that page.

• 1 month later...
DarkStar1977
Posted (edited)
On 2/18/2024 at 11:15 PM, Happy2Play said:

@DarkStar1977Click on the navdrawer logo instead of Home to Refresh Home.

You know tha humans are habit animals right ?

Will click 300 times the "Home" button before remembering to click the Emby logo ... I don't understand what dificulty is to re-enable this link again .... It's called User Experience ... and it might be consistent on new versions, specially this minor things ....

Edited by DarkStar1977

50 minutes ago, DarkStar1977 said:

You know tha humans are habit animals right ?

Will click 300 times the "Home" button before remembering to click the Emby logo ... I don't understand what dificulty is to re-enable this link again .... It's called User Experience ... and it might be consistent on new versions, specially this minor things ....

The buttons that take you to a certain page don't do anything if you're already there. So perhaps it's the logo that is the one who is being inconsistent by forcing a refresh, and that should be fixed. 

Then that would force you to use a dedicated function to refresh, or report the reason why you feel you need to refresh in the first place.

DarkStar1977
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Luke said:

The buttons that take you to a certain page don't do anything if you're already there. So perhaps it's the logo that is the one who is being inconsistent by forcing a refresh, and that should be fixed. 

Then that would force you to use a dedicated function to refresh, or report the reason why you feel you need to refresh in the first place.

@Lukeof course is your application and you can do whatever you want with it and consider consistent whatever you want, even clicking on Home button on the Home page have been always refreshed the home screen until version 4.8, but and this is my opinion:

Home page is a dynamic page that can include contents like "Recently added", "Live TV", etc that are refreshed, depending on your configuration based on "new media detection" (if the media storage is compatible), manual library scans or scheduled scans.

In my case I have libraries that include local WD locations, same where Emby is installed, and mounted resourced from another NAS, that are not compatible with "new media detection", when I add multiple movies or TV shows and I know those will not be identified automatically or correct (please remember that all users does not use english as their main language and in other languages, identifications require a lot of manual intervention), meanwhile the library scan is still running, launched manually I use refresh several times to be able to identify them before the library scan is complete, not having to wait until the process is finished so those are presented in the hub or the library itself, that can take sometimes depending on the number of elements added several minutes.

And For example, I have a home videos section that of course are not matched with anything, and when I add several of them (dozens) and I run a scan of the section, I usually refresh several times the home screen hub to edit their metadata before the whole library re-scan is complete, not having to wait until the process is finished so those are presented in the hub.

Same with Music Videos that are not matched with anything.

BTW, Plex refreshes the home screen by pushing the Home Button AND the Plex Logo.

Another example of inconsistent is presenting different interfaces on Episodes form TV shows if they have 1 season or more than 1:

1 Season - Shows presented horizontally, with big pictures forcing to scroll to see more than 4 episodes:

image.thumb.png.10d9d1d304d33bfd8cc3380e70bde2d1.png

More than 1 Season - Shows presented vertically with smaller images and less scroll:

image.thumb.png.4a4ce283eeb2e35a307ed00876c0d7b2.png

But as I said, is my opinion and it's your app.

Edited by DarkStar1977

GrimReaper
6 hours ago, DarkStar1977 said:

Another example of inconsistent is presenting different interfaces on Episodes form TV shows if they have 1 season or more than 1:

1 Season - Shows presented horizontally, with big pictures forcing to scroll to see more than 4 episodes:

image.thumb.png.10d9d1d304d33bfd8cc3380e70bde2d1.png

More than 1 Season - Shows presented vertically with smaller images and less scroll:

image.thumb.png.4a4ce283eeb2e35a307ed00876c0d7b2.png

That is controlled by User settings>Display>Preferred TV show display.

image.png.23f823390446cec5d749aa3acc5da328.png

DarkStar1977
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

That is controlled by User settings>Display>Preferred TV show display.

image.png.23f823390446cec5d749aa3acc5da328.png

Thank you I've been asking for this in another topic:

and no one told me this feature was available.

In any case, no matter the "Show display" for me is inconsistent that are presented one horizontal and the other vertical.

Edited by DarkStar1977

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 7:22 AM, DarkStar1977 said:

Thank you I've been asking for this in another topic:

and no one told me this feature was available.

In any case, no matter the "Show display" for me is inconsistent that are presented one horizontal and the other vertical.

Hi, To make them consistent just select the option to always show season folders or the option to always show the flat list of episodes.