Refresh Rate Switching Google TV

freddyfinn

freddyfinn

I have an issue with the app not switching refresh rate correctly. The screen flickers then reports it is using the correct refresh rate yet the picture stutters badly.  When I go into settings > display mode I get duplicate refresh rates see pictures. This doesn’t happen on my Nvidia Shield units. 
if I select the second refresh rate the screen flickers again  and changes correctly and playback is smooth.  Eg switch from 2160/23.98 to the same below.   
The only time it doesn’t do it is when you match content resolution and resolution is below 2160p.  
Duplicate refresh rates are constantly there as are various others at 2160p.   

image.thumb.jpg.fae5bce00be9b868205516320e483597.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by freddyfinn
Spelling

Hi.  On what device?

If you go to that devices display settings, it also has multiple modes with the same resolution and rate?  What's the difference between them?  Perhaps HDR vs not...?

• 3 weeks later...
freddyfinn

Hi @ebr 

it’s a Google Chromecast with Google TV 4K. Build STTL.231114.004
After doing some more testing the judder seems to be happening because exo player  is not resizing the picture properly when switching refresh rate (applies to all resolutions). If I fail to change refresh rate manually once the player has loaded the Google screen saver cuts in over the top occasionally after the screen saver time is reached which would suggest it’s not always going into full screen mode.  When I switch refresh rate once playing you can see the screen resize and playback is smooth with no screen saver. 
Could this an Android 12 refresh rate implementation issue?  Netflix switches without issue.

i have the 2019 shield 4K and it only shows single refresh rates no duplicates  

Hi.  Whether or not the screen saver kicks in is a function of an option in the app and has nothing to do with resolution or screen size.  Did you check this?

On 2/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, ebr said:

If you go to that devices display settings, it also has multiple modes with the same resolution and rate?  What's the difference between them?  Perhaps HDR vs not...?

freddyfinn

Emby is continuously trying to force HDR by the looks causing refresh rate problems. 
When SDR is manually switched in Emby the TV shows 24Hz when Emby automatically selects HDR there is no refresh rate displayed by the TV even though it goes through the motions of trying to change to 24Hz. 
So the app is failing to trigger the refresh rate change for HDR. Even with enhanced HDMI turned off on the TV and SDR changed to preferred on the Google TV it’s still trying to force HDR and failing to switch the refresh rate. 

freddyfinn

Done 

Playing: NCIS Hawaii

Time: 12.39pm utc-5

User: Emby

The app is successfully changing the display mode but the device is reporting two identical display modes (from a resolution and refresh rate perspective anyway) and so the app is choosing the first one.  We need to discover why there are duplicates.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:47 AM, ebr said:

freddyfinn
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ebr said:

No. Single resolution and refresh rates only. Unlike the Shield which shows 8 and 10bit with the same resolutions. 

Edited by freddyfinn
Fix sentence.