Shorts and Specials

unisoft

unisoft

On 4.7.x, in a TV library I had "Shorts" folder and "Specials" folder at same level as Season folder would be.

• This worked fine. Shorts had episodes starting "E01" (incrementing track number) and had embedded metadata for TRACK, ARTIST, ALBUM, COPYRIGHT, DESCRIPTION.
  • Specials used XML metadata files that have always previously worked for each episode and follow naming like S00E01 at filename beginning (incrementing track number).
  • Thinking is 'Specials' are for Special episodes or related specials of duration of over 20 minutes and 'Shorts' are small things like out-takes, small interviews with cast members
  • No internet lookups for metadata are allowed as data embedded or in XML files. 

On 4.8.x, I am getting weird behaviour on REFRESH METADATA or a Full Scheduled task scan of media library. I am finding that the "Shorts" folder is no longer shown, or that Shorts are attempting to be listed inside the "Specials" folder. Was anything changed in regard to this in 4.8.x please?

Edited by unisoft

unisoft
21 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Have a look here.

and 

Cheers. I did see that post, but I have had this working for a good couple of years now? I'm confused right now. Other series where I haven't put anything new into Shorts or Specials are showing as intended still.

I think I found it. Another of those great undocumented "features" in 4.8 where something changed but no user impact statement ahead of release:

In Emby Server 4.8, we'll add support for using all of the same names that you can use for video files:

• extras
  • specials
  • shorts
  • scenes
  • featurettes
  • behind the scenes
  • deleted scenes
  • interviews

Specials is already supported and will be detected as Season 0, but we'll make the others all aliases of Season 0 as well.

So there was a change and now its user impacting and can't see the new structure detailed in the WIKI?.

The emby team really got to get better than this. Emby works mostly well, but then there are things like image changes, structural naming changes, theme dropping - and these are usually done without any advance notification in a new release resulting in hunting around the forum. I spend more time sorting this mess out than doing what I should be doing.

So for me, something that was working is now broken and waiting for Luke to decide some century in the future when they will deal with naming properly as a feature request. No dates maybe "just coming".

Edited by unisoft

Apologies for the disruption. So it sounds like in 4.7 you had these displaying as a custom season. You should be able to continue to do that by giving your shorts folders some other name.

unisoft
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Apologies for the disruption. So it sounds like in 4.7 you had these displaying as a custom season. You should be able to continue to do that by giving your shorts folders some other name.

Hi Luke,

I am confused what to do.  I had a folder called "Shorts" at the same level as Season Folders and this was working fine as long as each episode in there was named like "E01", "E02" at the beginning. With the 'Specials' folder, they are named as "S00E01", "S00E02" etc.

The existing stuff that was scanned is working fine. When I go to add a NEW Shorts folder to an existing series that only had a Specials folder previously, I am getting random things like them (the Shorts folder episodes) appearing in Specials OR leaving the first 5 out because there are 5 specials there already, and then showing from 7 onwards from the Shorts folder (but in Specials).

Do I need to call the Shorts folder "Xtras" or something now in 4.8?

Edited by unisoft

unisoft
1 hour ago, unisoft said:

Hi Luke,

I am confused what to do.  I had a folder called "Shorts" at the same level as Season Folders and this was working fine as long as each episode in there was named like "E01", "E02" at the beginning. With the 'Specials' folder, they are named as "S00E01", "S00E02" etc.

The existing stuff that was scanned is working fine. When I go to add a NEW Shorts folder to an existing series that only had a Specials folder previously, I am getting random things like them (the Shorts folder episodes) appearing in Specials OR leaving the first 5 out because there are 5 specials there already, and then showing from 7 onwards from the Shorts folder (but in Specials).

Do I need to call the Shorts folder "Xtras" or something now in 4.8?

So renaming Shorts at the Season level to "Xtras" and this worked.

I now have to go through all my cover art for the old Shorts folder and change "Shorts" on them to "Xtras" - this is definitely a user impacting change and because existing folders were scanned on my test server, the beta releases did not reveal this.

Can the WIKI please be updated with the new handling in 4.8 - It's supposed to reduce support tickets and be authoritative but its not detailed. Also the release notes of 4.8.x do not have indication of this change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1