Version 4.8.1.0

aadham
Go to solution Solved by aadham,

Hi @aadhamI haven't seen this one before and to be honest, based on the log it looks like it could happen in older versions.

We'll be getting a 4.8.2 update out and we'll include a fix to prevent the crash, however I'll need another server log from you at that time because there's a couple different ways to handle this error and we need additional information in order to determine that. Thanks.

aadham

Hi Luke

Thank you for looking into the matter.

Actually, the issue started happening during the last few months with the previous version but less frequently.

I'll be happy to provide the log(s) you need once the update has been released.

Edited by aadham
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
RickPaq

This has been a constant issue since I started running Emby on Shield about 3 mo. ago.  I thought it was Shield maybe putting apps to sleep since I don't really use the Shield that much.  My only use of the Shield is actually to run Emby, which pulls video's across the network from another server.   I haven't been able to figure out WHEN Emby server shuts down, but it does, after time. Seems like after 24hrs.  I'll try setting up something to record on a daily basis and see if that might prevent it from shutting down.  Looking at the history of Emby on Shield in this forum, it has a long history of complaints of it shutting down on Shield.  But this may be a shield issue.  I've had Emby running on other devices without this issue, but running Emby on Shield works extremely well, as long as you can keep the server running!  I'll have it start doing some daily recordings and see if that keeps it awake.

Edited by RickPaq

RickPaq

As to my previous comment about the server shutting down.  I DO have it recording on a daily basis so daily recording doesn't keep it going.  It shut down a few days ago, I wasn't aware, and missed 2 days worth of recording.   I still think it's a Shield issue, but I've turned off all sleep functions on the Shield.  I'll just have to check it daily to make sure it's running.

• Solution
aadham

Hi RickPaq

Since I posted about the issue here, I uninstalled the 4.8.1.0 version and reinstalled a couple of 4.7.x versions and they, too, started shutting down randomly, so I decided to uninstall these and re-install 4.8.1.0 and then upgraded to the 4.8.3.0, but this time I cleared the app's cache and it's been running pretty normal for nearly 48 hours now, so I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

aadham

Hi RickPaq

I hope it's worked out well for you. For now, I'll mark this topic as solved.

• Thanks 1

RickPaq

Hopefully it will work.  Unfortunately there's no automated method to upgrade Emby server on the Shield,  At least it's not obvious to me.  All of the file management tools with the Shield are really bad making the manual method of upgrading difficult.   I click to download the new server from the Emby page and the link changes color and nothing happens.  I really should just take if off this platform. Thanks for your advice though.

1 hour ago, RickPaq said:

Hopefully it will work.  Unfortunately there's no automated method to upgrade Emby server on the Shield,  At least it's not obvious to me.  All of the file management tools with the Shield are really bad making the manual method of upgrading difficult.   I click to download the new server from the Emby page and the link changes color and nothing happens.  I really should just take if off this platform. Thanks for your advice though.

It's a big download, maybe it's just taking time? It's also standard procedure for the browser to virus scan files before downloading. That can take a minute or two.

• Like 1

RickPaq

It was just the challenge of the Shield.  I have it installed now and will provide feedback if it shuts down again.  Thank you!

• Like 1

RickPaq

Well, the server was running fine last evening, but this morning it was shut down again.  I've provided the logs.embyserver.txt

Well, the server was running fine last evening, but this morning it was shut down again.  I've provided the logs.embyserver.txt

Hi, what exactly do you mean by shut down?

RickPaq

I had to start it.  Sometimes it runs several days, but sometimes, like last night, it stopped running at some point during the night and missed recording a morning program.

To be clear, on the shield, when I click on the server icon, if it's running normally, you see it's operating IP with a choice to stop the server.   When it's not running, you only see the choice to start it.

I use Emby from my phone a lot.  When I find it can't make a connection to the server, I then have to go to the shield, go to it's server icon, and click "start server."  It may then operate a few hours or a few days before I'll have to re-start it again.

It may then operate a few hours or a few days before I'll have to re-start it again.

Hi.  Is it possible your Shield is rebooting for system updates or some other reason?

• 3 weeks later...
RickPaq

I checked the logs of the Shield and it's indicated it's been running for a week.  No rebooting or updates.  Currently Emby won't stay running more than 6 or 8hrs. It appears offline when you go to use it and you have to go back to the shield to Start the server.  A few times I found it running but had to stop it and restart it to gain access.    

On 3/23/2024 at 7:48 PM, RickPaq said:

I checked the logs of the Shield and it's indicated it's been running for a week.  No rebooting or updates.  Currently Emby won't stay running more than 6 or 8hrs. It appears offline when you go to use it and you have to go back to the shield to Start the server.  A few times I found it running but had to stop it and restart it to gain access.    

Hi, can you please provide another server log example? Thanks.

RickPaq

Really strange.  I have version 4.8.3.0 running and kind of gave up on this new version because it crashed only 4hrs after loading it.   But I JUST noticed TODAY that it's been running perfectly for the past week!!   It's NEVER run that long before. 

So here's the sequence of events which might point somehow to the problem.

I use a USB memory stick on the Shield to expand my internal memory, and I also have a 6TB hard drive attached.  Obviously Emby runs on internal memory along with all of the other apps, and with the memory stick, there's plenty of internal memory, but I never intended to store my videos there.

A few days later I started receiving "out of memory"  errors on my Shield.  I then realized that Emby was actually WORKING and saving ALL recorded videos to the Shield's internal memory.  My first effort to fix this was to move Emby over to the hard drive.  I moved it over, but it didn't move the video's so I moved Emby back to Internal Memory again.  I then finally figured out a way to move the video's over to my hard drive, thus reclaiming the space on my internal memory again.  I then reconfigured Emby, as it should have been, so all video are saved to the hard drive and NOT internal memory.

For the past week Emby has been working fine.  So what was the actual fix?  I'm not totally sure.  When it crashed within a few hours after installing the new version, I gave up on the new version but I did restart the Shield, and to my surprise Emby started running without issues, until it ran out of memory. 

Maybe Emby has an issue storing videos to it's internal memory when it's expanded with a memory stick??  Or maybe your new version fixed the issue.

I was SO pleased to see it still running this morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!    If it fails in the future, I'll send another copy of the server log.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:14 PM, RickPaq said:

Really strange.  I have version 4.8.3.0 running and kind of gave up on this new version because it crashed only 4hrs after loading it.   But I JUST noticed TODAY that it's been running perfectly for the past week!!   It's NEVER run that long before. 

So here's the sequence of events which might point somehow to the problem.

I use a USB memory stick on the Shield to expand my internal memory, and I also have a 6TB hard drive attached.  Obviously Emby runs on internal memory along with all of the other apps, and with the memory stick, there's plenty of internal memory, but I never intended to store my videos there.

A few days later I started receiving "out of memory"  errors on my Shield.  I then realized that Emby was actually WORKING and saving ALL recorded videos to the Shield's internal memory.  My first effort to fix this was to move Emby over to the hard drive.  I moved it over, but it didn't move the video's so I moved Emby back to Internal Memory again.  I then finally figured out a way to move the video's over to my hard drive, thus reclaiming the space on my internal memory again.  I then reconfigured Emby, as it should have been, so all video are saved to the hard drive and NOT internal memory.

For the past week Emby has been working fine.  So what was the actual fix?  I'm not totally sure.  When it crashed within a few hours after installing the new version, I gave up on the new version but I did restart the Shield, and to my surprise Emby started running without issues, until it ran out of memory. 

Maybe Emby has an issue storing videos to it's internal memory when it's expanded with a memory stick??  Or maybe your new version fixed the issue.

I was SO pleased to see it still running this morning so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!    If it fails in the future, I'll send another copy of the server log.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for following up.