Emby Android TV subtitle position

Youthanasia
Go to solution Solved by Youthanasia,

Youthanasia

As the title says, subtitle position is "inside" the movie.

I want them below the movie like in the drawn circle in the picture attached. There is where they should be in my opinion..

Kodi does it fine, but I want them on emby client.

Subtitles are srt.

Am I missing something?

photostudio_1708153840408.jpg

FrostByte

Is your video cropped?  Not sure if it's a ExoPlayer thing, or something else, but don't think you can move the subtitle outside the bounds of the actual video file.  For material that isn't cropped you could of course move it below.

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Is your video cropped?  Not sure if it's a ExoPlayer thing, or something else, but don't think you can move the subtitle outside the bounds of the actual video file.  For material that isn't cropped you could of course move it below.

Correct.  if you try to do what is requested here, this is what you'll get:

Youthanasia
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

The format of the movie is widescreen, yes. 

Kodi displays it fine below video. This is the only reason I use embycon/emby for kodi..

I listen on low voice so subtitles help, but this lack of setting subtitle position in Emby bothers me a lot.. 

Strange there is no feature for this yet...

FrostByte

Wide screen yes, but if it was re-encoded and the black bars were cropped out then ExoPlayer can't handle Emby passing the subtitle position outside of the cropped dimensions of the video.

• Thanks 1

• Solution
Youthanasia

3840 x 1606.

So, yes, black bar is outside of the actual video frame.

Kodi does it, emby&exoplayer does not, on the same video and same subtitles.

So it seems, like i was afraid, exoplayer is lacking the feature.

It actually ruins the immersion for me..

• Like 1

Youthanasia

@LukeHi. Just tested. Same result. 

After I performed a quick search on google, the same issue seems to be in Emby and Plex.

Emby can play subtitles in the bottom of video, within the video frame. KODI in addition can play subtitles in Bottom of screen, so outside and regardless of the video frame.

Is this something that can be added as a feature request or is it impossible doe to how Emby uses exoplayer, or Exoplayer limitation?

Basically the setting that works for me in KODI is the below.

image.png.8d1b80f5bac625c6bd86780ccf23db11.png

Glassertje

The latest Kodi and Plex, are showing the subtitle on exactly the same position. So, it is not a Exoplayer issue, because Plex use Exoplayer. This is really the only reason, why i still use Plex. I'm also Emby Premiere lifetime user. Would like to use emby fulltime, so i hope someday it will be fixed.

Edited by Glassertje
  • Disagree 1

Youthanasia
46 minutes ago, Glassertje said:

The latest Kodi and Plex, are showing the subtitle on exactly the same position. So, it is not a Exoplayer issue, because Plex use Exoplayer. This is really the only reason, why i still use Plex. I'm also Emby Premiere lifetime user. Would like to use emby fulltime, so i hope someday it will be fixed.

Not sure what you mean. Probably your issue is unrelated to mine? Just tested again Plex out of curiosity. Result is as expected. It is not possible to set to display subtitles at a fixed height in bottom of the screen, regardless of video frame. So when black bars are not part of video, you cannot display subtitles there..

• Like 1

Glassertje
2 hours ago, Youthanasia said:

Not sure what you mean. Probably your issue is unrelated to mine? Just tested again Plex out of curiosity. Result is as expected. It is not possible to set to display subtitles at a fixed height in bottom of the screen, regardless of video frame. So when black bars are not part of video, you cannot display subtitles there..

If i watch here a movie via Plex only the 2nd (row) subtitle is in the black part. Same as Kodi. (sorry for my english) Were talking about the same thing. I even had a topic about this.

I made some screenshots with some examples. Kodi, Plex, Emby

In Kodi 19 and before, the subtitle was lower and completely in the black part.

• 1 month later...
Youthanasia
Posted (edited)

Update

@Glassertje You're absolutely right, 

I tried again with Plex, and subtitles display below as you mentioned. Although this time I hade Plex Pass active, not sure if that makes a difference??

@LukeThis looks like an Emby issue, since both Plex and Emby use Exoplayer.

Any fix?

Below nearly the same frame, on the same TV, on the same movie, same file, on Plex. Subtitles are as they should.

image.thumb.png.6153a2d31bb1ba73629dc703349c87d6.png

Edited by Youthanasia

7 hours ago, Youthanasia said:

Subtitles are as they should.

Looks to me like they are half-in half out....

Youthanasia
Posted (edited)

@ebrThat is fine and normal. Both Kodi and Plex do that when there are two rows, formatted above a certain font size. 1 row, is usually always below.

Edited by Youthanasia

GrimReaper
On 2/17/2024 at 8:17 AM, Youthanasia said:

I want them below the movie like in the drawn circle in the picture attached. There is where they should be in my opinion..

Personally would never want them outside the bounds/in black area. 

49 minutes ago, Youthanasia said:

when there are two rows, formatted above a certain font size. 1 row, is usually always below.

I find that horrendous solution. Guess it all boils down to user preference, I just hope that it'll never get implemented in Emby. 

• Like 1

Hi, more options to control subtitle position are certainly possible for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Youthanasia

btw, Jellifin does it fine too... So Emby is the odd one out.

Hoping it gets fixed, this is a dealbreaker for me and my Emby Premier Lifetime Purchase...

FrostByte
On 4/8/2024 at 12:29 AM, Youthanasia said:

I tried again with Plex, and subtitles display below as you mentioned. Although this time I hade Plex Pass active, not sure if that makes a difference??

@LukeThis looks like an Emby issue, since both Plex and Emby use Exoplayer.

Not necessarily as both Plex and Emby have modified Exoplayer.  Plex couldn't always play outside the boundaries of the video either as this subject has been brought up before.  I would add a post to the FR section if that's something you want Emby to look into because there may be others.

I'm with @GrimReaper though.  They aren't "broken" now as all my UHD play within the video when I stick them into my disc player.  I have subtitles on all the time and the further your eyes are from the center to read subtitles the more you miss of the actual picture.  Options are always nice though.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 18/04/2024 at 22:20, FrostByte said:

I have subtitles on all the time and the further your eyes are from the center to read subtitles the more you miss of the actual picture.  

Reading this - it's an interesting question actually.

I find at the start of subtitles - I focus on them to read them (and 'miss' any action on the screen) but after a couple of minutes, I can read them as part of the entire screen and thus remain focused on the main screen only without having to 'move' my eyes/focus.   Maybe it's me getting old haha - just thought it was an interesting observation about how far away the subs are from the center of the screen. 🤪

FrostByte
25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Reading this - it's an interesting question actually.

I find at the start of subtitles - I focus on them to read them (and 'miss' any action on the screen) but after a couple of minutes, I can read them as part of the entire screen and thus remain focused on the main screen only without having to 'move' my eyes/focus.   Maybe it's me getting old haha - just thought it was an interesting observation about how far away the subs are from the center of the screen. 🤪

Just based on several studies I've read on why most studios set subtitles to be viewed up higher (when played from disc).  Wherever your eyes are focused you see best, and it gradually gets worse the further out from that circle you go.  The best place to view a movie is of course with your eyes focused on the center.  So, the further down you move your eyes the circle of focus moves to read the text and the more you miss above.  Understand my wife needs subtitles on all the time and she gets no information from the sound.  She can't just glance at subs real quick if missing a word or two.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
29 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Just based on several studies I've read on why most studios set subtitles to be viewed up higher (when played from disc).  Wherever your eyes are focused you see best, and it gradually gets worse the further out from that circle you go.  The best place to view a movie is of course with your eyes focused on the center.  So, the further down you move your eyes the circle of focus moves to read the text and the more you miss above.  Understand my wife needs subtitles on all the time and she gets no information from the sound.  She can't just glance at subs real quick if missing a word or two.

Thanks - I guess the point I was making is I seem to have adjusted to read the subs without 'consciously' focusing on them - but yes, I certainly think that would be harder the further away they are from the main focus point.     

• Like 1

FrostByte

If there isn't one already the OP should probably do a FR.  It sounds like the other guys have modified Exoplayer to move subtitles outside the video range when cropped.