Synology, ssh, winscp

Jman5150

Jman5150

Ok, I see many posts in search but still confused.

im installing Emby on Synology nas for first time (1520+) and got the infamous login page.

i think I read somewhere the account name is “Emby” and to do a reset password for first time setup. (If im mistaken stop me)  

oF course I have no idea how to find the .txt file. (First year using nas). I found an instruction to enable ssh. followed that…

Also saw recommendation to use winscp. I have no idea how to install winscp. Been googling for hours nor how to “ssh the text file” (did I use the right language). I hate not figuring out on my own but am stumped and throwing things….

i think the ssh is the same as a terminal? …if so I couldn’t figure out how to open that screen for text…assuming I’m on the right path. I feel like this should be the easy part but I keep finding lots of setup instruction but none to actually use the ssh (winscp)? I found a few terminal “ssh”? Screen pictures but couldn’t follow what they did ….

im installing Emby on Synology nas for first time (1520+) and got the infamous login page.

Hi there, why is it infamous?

i think I read somewhere the account name is “Emby” and to do a reset password for first time setup. (If im mistaken stop me)  

Hi, this is the username and password that you entered during the server startup wizard.

Jman5150

I only said infamous because on search there seemed a decent amount of similar posts.

ok, I’m a bit confused…it never asked me to create a username or password or shows any wizard. So I assumed it was preprogrammed. So at least I missed something…not sure how. I just installed it and the login page popped up. It didn’t give me a lost username option but the password option gave a txt file that search didn’t find hence the ssh question. Others seemed to have to use it.

so any idea how I get that wizard so I can create a username? On this line of thinking would I need ssh for the password?

im on a ds1520 if it means anything (i also have a ds1522 and ds923 however it wouldn’t install without issues on those)

Edited by Jman5150

25 minutes ago, Jman5150 said:

I only said infamous because on search there seemed a decent amount of similar posts.

ok, I’m a bit confused…it never asked me to create a username or password or shows any wizard. So I assumed it was preprogrammed. So at least I missed something…not sure how. I just installed it and the login page popped up. It didn’t give me a lost username option but the password option gave a txt file that search didn’t find hence the ssh question. Others seemed to have to use it.

so any idea how I get that wizard so I can create a username? On this line of thinking would I need ssh for the password?

im on a ds1520 if it means anything (i also have a ds1522 and ds923 however it wouldn’t install without issues on those)

Perhaps you installed it in the past and forgot about it? Regardless, maybe you should just make a fresh start by shutting down the server, and then deleting the server data folder entirely:

Emby Server Data Folder

Then start up the server and you should get the startup wizard again and you can create your username and password. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Jman5150

I’ll try that, it’s possible. I On the other two nas units. I saw Emby in the apps however after installing it flipped back to uninstalled. I found a page that claimed newer units (non intel) may need a different install. Would that be true and the reason? For now I’m sticking to the 1520 for simplicity.ill get back on the results

Jman5150

Ok went in and found …EmbyServer/config

however there was no EmbyScripterX.xml in Emby config

the two files were system.xml and users.

would I remove system.xml?

am I in the wrong section?

9 hours ago, Jman5150 said:

Ok went in and found …EmbyServer/config

however there was no EmbyScripterX.xml in Emby config

the two files were system.xml and users.

would I remove system.xml?

am I in the wrong section?

I would delete the entire server data folder:

Emby Server Data Folder

please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Jman5150

I tried rm -rf /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer and it keeps saying permission denied? I’m on admin. Why or how would my permissions be off? I had admin turned off and per your instructions turned it on. After I saw the denial I went into the admin account to permissions (they were all off )and changed all to read write. Not sure if that’s the right place (hit save obviously). Still didn’t work.

Edited by Jman5150

20 hours ago, Jman5150 said:

I tried rm -rf /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer and it keeps saying permission denied? I’m on admin. Why or how would my permissions be off? I had admin turned off and per your instructions turned it on. After I saw the denial I went into the admin account to permissions (they were all off )and changed all to read write. Not sure if that’s the right place (hit save obviously). Still didn’t work.

@Jman5150did you follow the instructions to SSH into the machine?

Jman5150

Yes….i set up admin per as directed. Opened terminal as directed…went into the directory as directed…(which only showed deleting single files btw). Then inquired about what file. You suggested the data directory. Both data and embysever deletion attempts would ask for password when I attempted to remove and then say it can’t be. I googled and for directory remove or permission options as stated above in my last post which didn’t work.

Edited by Jman5150

Jman5150

I have another admin account that is the one I usually use. I turned on the default admin to try to stick as close to the instructions as possible. Could the two create a conflict preventing the directory from being removed? (Just through it something out there…) been looking over Synology groups and really stumped.

Jman5150

Got it to work ! and Emby is up! Had to go to the root level. immust have typed something wrong since I didn’t see it still said admin, once I got to the root correctly i had to add -rf after rm. (not sure what it means but it worked)

thank  you for the help!

Edited by Jman5150
  • Thanks 1