Low Network Utilization on Emby 4.8.1.0

BIgdongdong1028

BIgdongdong1028

Hello Emby Community,

I've recently upgraded my Emby server to version 4.8.1.0 on a Windows Server setup. Since the upgrade, I've been encountering a challenging issue where the network utilization is very low, especially during peak times when many users are streaming. My bandwidth is 2G, but Emby seems to be using less than half of it, resulting in a very choppy viewing experience.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How can I resolve it to ensure smooth streaming for all users?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!embyserver.txt

Hi, in this log file, what example should we focus on that you would say was not smooth?

BIgdongdong1028
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, in this log file, what example should we focus on that you would say was not smooth?

I can't read the log and I don't know what information to focus on. But my server is very abnormal, it after more than 60 people watch, the player no longer buffered, or buffered very slowly. Which makes it very awkward to watch.

jaycedk
2 minutes ago, BIgdongdong1028 said:

But my server is very abnormal, it after more than 60 people watch

What ? can't a system designet for Home use, not handle 60+ user streams at the same time.

I'm shocked.

• Haha 1

BIgdongdong1028
8 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

What ? can't a system designet for Home use, not handle 60+ user streams at the same time.

I'm shocked.

It's not for a family. I'm a YouTuber. I shared my emby media library with my followers, so it was a lot of people

BIgdongdong1028
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm going to reinstall version 4.7.14. How do I restore the user information from 4.8.1.0 to 4.7.14?

6 hours ago, BIgdongdong1028 said:

I'm going to reinstall version 4.7.14. How do I restore the user information from 4.8.1.0 to 4.7.14?

There's no way to do that, but if you can reproduce this on your own then we're happy to look into a specific example. Thanks.

BIgdongdong1028
On 2/17/2024 at 1:42 AM, Luke said:

There's no way to do that, but if you can reproduce this on your own then we're happy to look into a specific example. Thanks.

I found a problem, and it came up a lot

What could possibly have caused this?

2024-02-21 17:31:37.605 Error App: Error in OnLiveResourcesTimerFired
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.1.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.20348
    Framework: .NET 6.0.26
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 44
    Data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'key')
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(String name)
       at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.PingSession(String reportedDeviceId, String playSessionId)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.StreamState.OnLiveResourcesTimerFired(Object state)
    Source: System.Collections.Concurrent
    TargetSite: Void ThrowArgumentNullException(System.String)

WX20240221-230427@2x.png

4 hours ago, BIgdongdong1028 said:

I found a problem, and it came up a lot

What could possibly have caused this?

2024-02-21 17:31:37.605 Error App: Error in OnLiveResourcesTimerFired
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.1.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.20348
    Framework: .NET 6.0.26
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 44
    Data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'key')
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(String name)
       at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.PingSession(String reportedDeviceId, String playSessionId)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.StreamState.OnLiveResourcesTimerFired(Object state)
    Source: System.Collections.Concurrent
    TargetSite: Void ThrowArgumentNullException(System.String)

WX20240221-230427@2x.png

Hi there, please attach the complete emby server log file. Thanks.

BIgdongdong1028
On 2/16/2024 at 4:12 PM, BIgdongdong1028 said:

Hello Emby Community,

I've recently upgraded my Emby server to version 4.8.1.0 on a Windows Server setup. Since the upgrade, I've been encountering a challenging issue where the network utilization is very low, especially during peak times when many users are streaming. My bandwidth is 2G, but Emby seems to be using less than half of it, resulting in a very choppy viewing experience.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How can I resolve it to ensure smooth streaming for all users?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!embyserver.txt

8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, please attach the complete emby server log file. Thanks.

Here is the complete log file. Search "OnLiveResourcesTimerFired". Then you will find all of the error.

BIgdongdong1028

I discovered another strange thing when everyone started to experience slow connections. I noticed that the internet activity of every Emby-connected user seemed to be throttled, as their connection speeds were all the same.

WechatIMG11857.thumb.jpg.374825246561a0e7cbbb864f873a4f2c.jpg

jaycedk

What network connection do you have ?

If its 1Gb you are almost maxed out.

And with all the connections you have to your server.

I guess you are using your max Disk i/o and Nic I/O to the max.

every single connection need nic i/o and disk i/o.

BIgdongdong1028
Just now, jaycedk said:

What network connection do you have ?

If its 1Gb you are almost maxed out.

And with all the connections you have to your server.

I guess you are using your max Disk i/o and Nic I/O to the max.

every single connection need nic i/o and disk i/o.

I'm on a 2Gb network. But emby doesn't use it. The read/write capacity of the hard disk exceeds 4000MB/s

jaycedk

Your screen shot shows differently, that not half used, thats almost depleted.

image.png.0a498bad7645eafdab55345ce4749f78.png

5 hours ago, BIgdongdong1028 said:

I noticed that the internet activity of every Emby-connected user seemed to be throttled, as their connection speeds were all the same.

WechatIMG11857.thumb.jpg.374825246561a0e7cbbb864f873a4f2c.jpg

Based on the one log you provided the bandwidth doesn't appear to be anything to be concerned about from your end. Nobody was transcoding, everyone direct playing.

That means the bandwidth consumed will be based on a combination of factors:

• The bitrate of the video they're playing
  • The manner in which the video player downloads data (e.g. just in time vs as much as possible)
  • Any ISP throttling that could be occurring on your side or their side (a very real thing nowadays)

There is no throttling occurring in Emby Server.

• 2 weeks later...
abegreen
On 2/22/2024 at 9:23 PM, Luke said:

Any ISP throttling that could be occurring on your side or their side (a very real thing nowadays)

I was wondering for weeks why my connection gets so slow that I can't play anything, every day at the same time range.

My speed test is great, my server is idle, wi-fi works great but tried the cable too. Still it was getting slow in the evenings.

Finally after reading this, I tried to play over VPN and it went to light speed.

Thank you Luke.

I guess that confirms that. By the way if you want to try to get it to work without a VPN, this is not a guarantee, but using non-default port numbers as well as setting up https have been known to help reduce the chances of being throttled.