Disable password on local network missing

reggierat

darkassassin07

I haven't used any of them in a decade, so I'm not sure: how do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon handle login on smart tv's?

Q-Droid
46 minutes ago, serpi said:

Entering a complex password even once with a tv remote (that has no number pad) is really bad.

And this is for every single device and every single user.

Just give us the option back and put a big security warning on it.

Too late, that ship has sailed. The dev team can provide other means to login in the future but for now this is it. Some might need to adjust their passwords to accommodate the limited entry options until the next round, ETA unknown.

42 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

I haven't used any of them in a decade, so I'm not sure: how do Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon handle login on smart tv's?

Pretty much the same way we handle it with Emby Connect.  However, that is overkill on your local network and they all have centralized authentication systems (you are authenticating on their sites, not your server).

4 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Too late, that ship has sailed. The dev team can provide other means to login in the future but for now this is it. Some might need to adjust their passwords to accommodate the limited entry options until the next round, ETA unknown.

We have a new QR code sign in method in the works that hopefully we'll be able to spend more time soon once all of the 4.8 maintenance updates are behind us.

Q-Droid
31 minutes ago, Luke said:

We have a new QR code sign in method in the works that hopefully we'll be able to spend more time soon once all of the 4.8 maintenance updates are behind us.

This is good but don't forget those who might need the most help are the least likely to have or know what it takes to use QR codes.

• Agree 1

darkassassin07

Vaultwarden (bitwarden) has a great option where you can select 'login with another device' once you've entered your email/username, then you'll receive a notification on a device you've already logged in with asking if you want to auth the new login.

So for example:

open xbox app, select user, 'login with another device'

Open notification from android app, click 'allow'.

Xbox is now logged in.

Just another idea to think about.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Agree 1

kakashi55
13 hours ago, serpi said:

Entering a complex password even once with a tv remote (that has no number pad) is really bad.

You know what is my password ? It's only 'q'. 😁  But I worry that Emby would require 8 digits password in future.😿. Please don't do this ever in future, dear emby team.

Edited by kakashi55
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, kakashi55 said:

But I worry that Emby would require 8 digits password in future.😿. Please don't do this ever in future, dear emby team.

No need to worry. Won't happen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
afogleson

I mean the real upshot to this is that

1. not even my tv, but my nvidia shield forces me to now select a server AND type a password every time.

2. same for my Fiancee account in the Philippines so i have to make passwords simple and easy enough for my 9 year old to remember and type.

as an IT person who has complete control of my network and such i KNOW where every request is coming from to the emby server and they are firewalled a couple ip addresses. this was working fine but now im left in a state where it is easier for some random person to see someone typing a simple password and gaining access to my servers (yes i had to open the network a bit until i have everything local (that is the definition of local right... as in The SAME subnet. (regardless of size of that subnet) you dont have to type a password but remotely you do..... im not sure being just a simple it professional and all...

Just now, afogleson said:

not even my tv, but my nvidia shield forces me to now select a server AND type a password every time.

Hi. That is not correct.  Logins are remembered and you can switch freely between them without re-authentication if you wish.

afogleson
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi. That is not correct.  Logins are remembered and you can switch freely between them without re-authentication if you wish.

you can tell everyone that... but i am happy to record a video showing that it is not correct. my Nvidea shield does not remember my login at all. every tmie i select emby on its screen i have to select a server and then a user and then log in. I can understand this for my REMOTE users but on a local network... it makes absolutely no sense. Ill probably have to consider switching now to jellyfin which does rememebr the logins etc.

afogleson

but by the way... on a web browser no matter where i am in the world (I travel significantly) on my laptop I can browse to my home server and never have to login so if i wanted to use a web browser on my tv/nvidea shield i suppose it would work and never prompt me.

Just now, afogleson said:

you can tell everyone that... but i am happy to record a video showing that it is not correct. my Nvidea shield does not remember my login at all. every tmie i select emby on its screen i have to select a server and then a user and then log in. I can understand this for my REMOTE users but on a local network... it makes absolutely no sense. Ill probably have to consider switching now to jellyfin which does rememebr the logins etc.

What version of the app do you have installed?

What is your "Startup Behavior" set to?

afogleson

I have to leave it set to show login. because i have several local users (ie household members) but now everyone has to remember their password... which by the way most did not and i had to go reset them. before all they had to do was select themselves... and tada they were logged in because... no password on a local network.

Again i totally understand the thinking of WHY it was decided to do this... there just was no option for users who are aware of and can control and or accept the conseuqneces of leaving their system open. Largely mine was... on a local network. and it worked fine... i would log in and my shows/movies were left in their state... someone else would log in and see their favorites and their shows and all this worked without a password. when i travelled... tada i needed to use my password... it just worked. because I understood the risks,. we could have just popped up a nice dialog when people selected the no login on local network warning people of the risk... instead we crippled people who know what they are doing all the time. I dont want the auto login i have mutliple users... locally.

I suppose i can go backwards to a previous version that actually worked. or as i said... move to jellyfin that does the behavior we have come to expect

rbjtech

@afogleson

There is a config issue somewhere - as I can assure you, this all works just fine.

For AndroidTV, I have several shared devices which just show all the avatars/users every time emby is opened, the user just selects themselves, and it logs in and away they go.

You only ever need to login ONCE on a NEW device, remembering to tick the 'Remember Me' and it will save that password until you forcefully logout.  For extra protection for Admin accounts or child/adult type accounts, an OPTIONAL Pin that can be set on the server - which forces you to use the Pin ONLY when logging in.

My login setup on shared devices is now identical in functionality to the very out dated concept of a local network (with no passwords necessary) - but now it has proper security behind it (passwords being hashed and stored on the device) and thus allows multiple shared users to be used remotely as well, not just on the local network. 

pwhodges
7 hours ago, afogleson said:

Do you log out when changing user?

Paul

afogleson

nope i just exit emby. I have multiple apps on my nvidea sheild of course. so im not in only emby. this is sort of the point i am making... on a local network it never forgot my login before or forced me back through all those screens. :shrug: it is what it is really.

On 3/26/2024 at 10:46 PM, ebr said:

What version of the app do you have installed?

Tigga5
On 3/27/2024 at 4:16 AM, rbjtech said:

@afogleson

For AndroidTV, I have several shared devices which just show all the avatars/users every time emby is opened, the user just selects themselves, and it logs in and away they go.

How do you set it up to work like that with the standard Android app, where it lists all users when the app is opened? It seems to work like that on the old Android TV app, but I can't find any configuration settings to make it match that behavior in the standard Android app. It just opens with whatever user was last logged in.

rbjtech
47 minutes ago, Tigga5 said:

How do you set it up to work like that with the standard Android app, where it lists all users when the app is opened? It seems to work like that on the old Android TV app, but I can't find any configuration settings to make it match that behavior in the standard Android app. It just opens with whatever user was last logged in.

I don't believe that has been added yet - but it will be.

3 hours ago, Tigga5 said:

HI, try unchecking remember me during the sign in process.

Tigga5

Thank you @Luke. I signed out of my account, then signed back in and un-checked "Remember Me". It does seem to be mimicking the same behavior from the Android TV app now.

afogleson
19 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, try unchecking remember me during the sign in process.

I wish the nvidea shield did that... ahh well its my fault i decided to be on the bleeding edge :) i can always downgrade but at some point i would have to take something new... i just sort of wish we had the old behavior even if it was a warning popup of "HEY doing this is dangerous make sure you know what your doing"

1 hour ago, afogleson said:

I wish the nvidea shield did that.

Did what?