AndroidTV app vs Standard android app

Nabukodonosor

Nabukodonosor

Hey guys. I had a chance to try the standard android app and when it comes to scrolling my movies and tv shows, it is SO SMOOTH! It glides through my covers. I'm just talking about that part of the app, because everything else is jerky and choppy, like it's not very well optimized. On the other hand, the androidtv app is very jerky when it comes to scrolling through my content. Why can't you guys make it smooth like you did in the standard app?

marriedman

I've got a Shield on the way and I am trying to figure out the difference between the standard Android app and the TV app. Which one do you recommend @Luke

1 hour ago, marriedman said:

I've got a Shield on the way and I am trying to figure out the difference between the standard Android app and the TV app. Which one do you recommend @Luke

We're moving in the direction of the standard app. This is what's getting all of the new features. But until we fully transition I would say whichever you prefer.

• Like 1

80srule

Will the Standard app have the voice command? I like with the ATV app you click on search and the mic lights up. The standard version you have to do a few more steps. I dont know if that's because it's designed for non ATV boxes and such as well. 
On Fire stick it doesnt even show voice command as shown below.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 11.13.13 PM.png

Edited by 80srule

Nabukodonosor
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you happy continuing to use the standard app?

No, I'm not. The overall speed of the AndroidTV is much better, apart from the smoothness of the content scrolling. Everything is choppy and slugish in the standard app. Also, I just don't like the feel of using the standard app. The placement of the buttons, the look of the buttons, the speed and ease of use...everything is much better in the AndroidTV version. It's like it's really meant for TV use. Not to forget I can't play any videos because it asks me for the Premiere subscription.

Can you now answer my question? :)

Edited by Nabukodonosor

HI, yes we are continuing to work on improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Nabukodonosor

What do you mean you're continuing to work on improving it? The AndroidTV version of the app has been out there for ages, and the standard app is I think younger. Why don't you do what you did in the standard app with content scrolling, to make it that smooth?

mike3821

Don’t forget we need channel number buttons, previous channel, channel up/down, channel up/down in tv guide. Fixing of the image size when scroll pictures of live tv while watching.

44 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

Don’t forget we need channel number buttons, previous channel, channel up/down, channel up/down in tv guide. Fixing of the image size when scroll pictures of live tv while watching.

Channel up down is already there.

mike3821
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Channel up down is already there.

Seems the channel display number needs work.

i know you guys just got 4.8 out. Is the Emby app now on the priority list to get it up to speed for android tv?

3 hours ago, mike3821 said:

Seems the channel display number needs work.

Hi there, what exactly do you think needs more work?

mike3821
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what exactly do you think needs more work?

A fast way to change channels with out it changing right away. Like a slight delay so you can change channels quickly.

Channels DVR channel changing is the best example I can give. 

7 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

A fast way to change channels with out it changing right away. Like a slight delay so you can change channels quickly.

Channels DVR channel changing is the best example I can give. 

Having you tried using channel up/down? It is a quick way to change channels and has a slight delay.

• Agree 1

JackBowman

Tunning a Live TV channel is definitely faster in the Android App. I have been using the Android app a lot lately as opposed to the Android TV App. It is just a bit slower getting around in general and the Home screen seems to be not as sharp like is is running at a lower resolution than the TV App. Just kind of like a soft blur. Other than that I am really enjoying the Android App on a 75 inch Television. Great work! 

mike3821
16 minutes ago, JackBowman said:

Tunning a Live TV channel is definitely faster in the Android App. I have been using the Android app a lot lately as opposed to the Android TV App. It is just a bit slower getting around in general and the Home screen seems to be not as sharp like is is running at a lower resolution than the TV App. Just kind of like a soft blur. Other than that I am really enjoying the Android App on a 75 inch Television. Great work! 

I’ll look again.

but some key things such as number channel changes and page down up with channel changing in tv guide  isn’t or isn’t working properly.

Edited by mike3821

JackBowman

The Channel numbers seem to be the same, and while I don't have a Page Up or Page Down buttons on my remote, the up arrow and down arrow next to the Plus and Minus volume buttons do give me the page up and page down function, and it works fine. It could be I don't understand what you are saying. 

4 hours ago, JackBowman said:

Tunning a Live TV channel is definitely faster in the Android App

Do you have the option to allow direct streaming live TV turned on in the TV app?  if not, that is probably the reason for the difference.

JackBowman

I do have Direct Play Live TV enabled in the TV App. I also noticed that I have Live TV Start Time set to slow though. That setting helped me to get rid of the little pauses from time to time while watching Live TV.

Edited by JackBowman

Nabukodonosor

Why don't you start your own thread? What does this have to do with my issue?!

15 hours ago, JackBowman said:

I also noticed that I have Live TV Start Time set to slow though

Okay, then that would explain why you think it tunes slower, correct?

• Agree 1

JackBowman
6 hours ago, Nabukodonosor said:

Why don't you start your own thread? What does this have to do with my issue?!

My bad. I apologize. No hijack intended.