Subtitles

UCM_1

UCM_1

Is there a way to force burning-in subtitles on all movies for specific devices only?

I have three Roku Ultra devices -- all share the same Emby user account.  But they are three different versions of the Roku Ultra.  I have many mkv files where one Roku Ultra (the newest) will play the subtitles, but the other two will fail to play the file if subtitles are enabled.

Edited by UCM_1
Mistake in initial posting

HI, there is currently no option for this. Can we please look at an example of your subtitle issue?

UCM_1

I believe I've solved the particular issue I was having -- although I don't know the specific cause of the issue.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Roku Emby app, and that did NOT fix this issue....  But I finally did a full factory reset of the Roku, and I also deleted the devices from the Emby server at the same time.  Either it was something saved regarding the device capabilities on the emby server, or somehow the Roku itself became corrupted.  Either way, they are all working the same/properly now.

--------------------------------------------------

A few comments/suggestions that just came to mind while I was trying to fix this issue.

1) It still might make sense to have per device options (for, example, burning in subtitles).  Specific devices may have issues that other devices may not, where global options may not work best for both.

2) "Disable Hardware Subtitle Overlay" in the diagnostic section.  Turning this option off (it defaults to on) appears to help with at least some transcoding scenarios, but it does seem to kill over the air closed captioning from showing up.  Perhaps split this into two options?  One for subtitles, and one for closed captions?

3) And I think I understand the reasoning behind having the options in the Diagnostic section reset after every server restart.  But, at the same time, if an option fixes an issue in some edge case scenario, it would be nice to have it permanent as well.  Why not make the changes survive restarts, but add an option on that Diagnostic page to revert to defaults?  Anyone who has a edge case scenario where one or more of those options is a fix can then have a working system, and yet can get back to defaults anytime they want/need.

• Thanks 1

2) "Disable Hardware Subtitle Overlay" in the diagnostic section.  Turning this option off (it defaults to on) appears to help with at least some transcoding scenarios, but it does seem to kill over the air closed captioning from showing up.  Perhaps split this into two options?  One for subtitles, and one for closed captions?

3) And I think I understand the reasoning behind having the options in the Diagnostic section reset after every server restart.  But, at the same time, if an option fixes an issue in some edge case scenario, it would be nice to have it permanent as well.  Why not make the changes survive restarts, but add an option on that Diagnostic page to revert to defaults?  Anyone who has a edge case scenario where one or more of those options is a fix can then have a working system, and yet can get back to defaults anytime they want/need.

Hi, remember the purpose of these is so that during troubleshooting we can ask you to try certain things temporarily and see what the results are. That's why the settings aren't permanent.

Glad to hear you're back up and running.

UCM_1
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, remember the purpose of these is so that during troubleshooting we can ask you to try certain things temporarily and see what the results are. That's why the settings aren't permanent.

True... But from the end user standpoint?  1) A large number of people will mess with those options when they have a problem, whether or not the support team first asks them to.  And 2) However the end user ends up trying one of the options, if they find it fixes their problem are they really going to be ok having a fix "within their reach" and not be able to make it more than temporary?

Edited by UCM_1