Tone mapping query - disable VAAPI or QuickSync?

fireplex

fireplex

Hi,

I run emby in a docker under unRAID and have an Intel i7 7700 with QuickSync support passing through /dev/dri successfully.

Do I need to disable VAAPI or QuickSync in one of these options below? and presumably I leave software tone mapping off as hardware is enabled?

Thanks!

image.png.35c262d8deabc2a93ea3599e4c349eac.png

sross44

I'm running on unRAID as well. I have my settings exactly the same. However on the first transcoding tab, I have all of the VAAPI options unchecked like below. Let me know if you have any issues with transcoding and tonemapping and I'll be more than happy to help. 

image.png

fireplex

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I must be blind but cannot spot the "first transcoding tab" or the options you posted 😕

I just see two tabs under Server-> Transcoding, Transcoding or Tone Mapping:

image.thumb.png.d3047f6861589ca5dd42043eca702d08.png

Lessaj

Transcoding is the first tab being referred to here. Have to set "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to Advanced to get the checkbox options.

fireplex
2 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

Transcoding is the first tab being referred to here. Have to set "Enable hardware acceleration when available" to Advanced to get the checkbox options.

Ah, I had set HW acceleration to yes rather than advanced, thanks 🙂

sross44
55 minutes ago, fireplex said:

Ah, I had set HW acceleration to yes rather than advanced, thanks 🙂

Yes sorry, I should have mentioned to have it set on advanced like @Lessajmentioned. 

RanmaCanada

I think you might have to disable quicksync as hardware tonemapping wasn't added until Tiger Lake.  I could be wrong though as softworkz is a wizard when it comes to coding dependencies that aren't officially supported.

• 4 weeks later...
VDB01

Jumping on this post. What are your thoughts about the performance of QuickSync vs VAAPI?

RanmaCanada
On 16/02/2024 at 04:39, fireplex said:

Hmm, Plex can do it on Kaby lake (my CPU) so I guess emby would also?

No as both programs use different custom builds of ffmpeg.  

sross44
2 hours ago, VDB01 said:

Jumping on this post. What are your thoughts about the performance of QuickSync vs VAAPI?

QuickSync has much better performance over VAAPI. At least in my experience that's the case. Usually quicksync is the way to go.