Cannot stop EmbyServer 4.6 from updating

Advarp

Advarp

Hi all,

I am still using WMC and trying to use the Emby for WMC. Had it working before on Wn10 no problems but that HTPC died. Now, I am trying to set up EmbyServer 4.6.7 however it immediately updates to 4.8.1.01 no matter what I do to stop it.

I have tried disabling internet however it just freezes. I have disabled auto updates however it seems it updates before this setting can take effect. Blocking it in Firewall also did not help.

Tried the latest beta version of emby for WMC (317) but I get an error, 'cannot load this application - emby'. Expected I guess because I am using the 4.8.1.0.

Can you please tell me how to install version 4.6.7 without it immediately uploading to 4.8.1.0? I am only using Embyserver locally to organise a collection of movies.

If this really does not work anymore, can you please suggest a reasonable / simple solution while still using WMC and a menu entry to view movie posters and play movies?

Many Thanks

EDIT: I tried also the stable version of Emby for WMC - 307 - and I get incorrect password even if I use blank pass or the pass of the EmbyServer user. Obviously it is the Embyserver version. I need to be able to use version 4.6.7.0...

Edited by Advarp

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  I'm sorry but we no longer support this setup.

As for getting your server to not update, make sure you turn off auto update and then shut it down and copy the system.old folder over your system folder and you should be good.

Happy2Play

You need to ensure you disable Auto update and if Emby has already downloaded the next update just go to Emby's update folder and delete the already update.

Now never touch the update now button on the dashboard.

Advarp

Re copying over - yes I believe I have tried that, especially since it is supposed to be portable.  I will give it another try.

I am still using WMC and I am happy with it. I know it is very old etc but nothing  else seems to be suitable for me. There is the server and the WMC client of course.

Maybe it is simply time to let go off Emby and just use Netflix and VLC player. Posters were nice but two 3.5 HDDs with movies I had died anyway. Old tech...

Thanks for the replies!

One2Go

I am running an older Emby server 4.0.10 that works with the WMC program and my custom themes. I had no problem to untick the update server part and am staying at my present configuration on a windows 7 PC and enjoy the eye candy and informative data details. I resigned to the fact that I am running two setups, one for my windows 7 PC with the Throgmorton themes which bar none are the pinnacle of themes. Plus I also run on a QNAP NAS the latest server for quick content like running shows, movies and documentaries.

The client for displaying the NAS Emby server is a Roku Ultra that does a fabulous job and for WMC a Windows 7 PC that is an Intel NUC with an i-7 processor. Best of both worlds. As far as your content is concerned redundancy as well as Raid protection is paramount. My QNAP NAS runs Raid 0 which means two mirrored 16TB drives. If one drive dies, buy a new one replace the bad one and let them sync, job done. For the Windows 7 PC I have two Unraid servers totaling about 40TB, they have a parity drive if one drive fails, replace it and let the content be restored. If two drives fail you just loose the content of the one drive.

Bottom line protect your media content, get a NAS install the Emby Server and get a decent client to display your media. WMC is past the sell by date and really has no advantage in today's world. I have a HDHomerun box that gives me free Over The Air channels that Emby can record. Streaming services become expensive, yet I do have my fair share also. Combine that with content available on private sources and Emby is the way to go for your entertainment.

I have used the programs that eventually became Emby and the dedication offered by their developers is a rare thing to find in today's world. Stick with it like I did for some 15 years and you will not be disappointed.

Advarp
Posted (edited)

Ok. So I tried to copy system.old contents over that of system. Overwrote quite a few files.

Now I can no longer connect to the Emby Server on localhost:8086.

17 hours ago, ebr said:

shut it down and copy the system.old folder over your system folder

Hmm.. I wonder whether you meant copying system.old contents over that of system? That is what i did with Emby Server shut down.

(Basically I cannot get an earlier version of Emby Server to run so as to be able to connect to it using the Emby_WMC plugin).

EDIT: I believe the config.xml file created in programdata folder on update is not compatible with the older server version that I have copied over...so I cannot access the server. If I move away the programdata folder, It creates another one but when accessing on 8086 I only get the Emby Logo.

I even went into the config folder of programdata  and edited system.xml -  changed autoupdate to False but still it does not work..

I feel there is a trick to do this but I cannot find the way. Bah...

Edited by Advarp