Now Playing Not Showing

mattl1979

mattl1979

I've got the same issue after upgrading to v4.8.1.0 on Synology. Sometimes I can see "Now Playing" for a second or less as the dashboard loads, but that's it. It's never fully appeared after the upgrade. In addition, the activity log doesn't show anything other than if I played a song through the web interface. Anything my wife or I play through Symfonium no longer appears. Neither of these were an issue in 4.7.

Edited by mattl1979

The Symfonium app will need an update. I'll let the developer know. Thanks.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

OT: you need to adjust iNotify.

The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached

mattl1979
52 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

OT: you need to adjust iNotify.

The configured user limit (8192) on the number of inotify watches has been reached

Thanks. I have actually done this, but for whatever reason, the setting in DSM doesn't stick. I've even used a startup task. This is outside the scope of this message thread though so don't want to add too much else. 🙂

Edited by mattl1979

Happy2Play

Not a Synology user unless something has changed this all the majority of users have done to correct the issue.

• Thanks 1

Mantis64

This is happening to me too.  It will not show activity from SonixD or Symphonium like it used to.  I have adjusted inotify and confirmed the script has executed and made the changes.  However the issue still persists.  Please help.  

9 hours ago, Mantis64 said:

This is happening to me too.  It will not show activity from SonixD or Symphonium like it used to.  I have adjusted inotify and confirmed the script has executed and made the changes.  However the issue still persists.  Please help.  

Hi, the Symphonium developer is aware of necessary changes that need to be made, so hopefully they'll have an update out soon.

Mantis64

Thanks @Lukefor this.  It seems if changes are necessary then SonixD will not probably get an update.  Can I ask what has changed and why it used to show the activity on SonixD on previous server versions?

I'm unlikely to be able to fix whatever needs fixing on SonixD for emby to show activity reporting like it used to (whatever has changed, are you not able to do some type of backwards compatibility or something?)  Can you recommend an alternative app so that I can enjoy my emby music library on my desktop? 

BasicUser

Since this Now Playing issue was introduced in version 4.8.1.0, is there any way to roll back to the previous version?

While you guys are hopefully fixing this defect to resolve, I wanted to install the previous Emby server version as I still have the file for it.

But when I try to downgrade to the previous version I get an error message that won't allow me to install as the current version is more recent. 

Is there a way around this to downgrade without having to fully uninstall Emby Server, and then reinstall the previous version as a fresh vanilla install?

Mantis64

@BasicUserI was also considering downgrading but did not know this was not possible due to the error you've encountered, so a little disappointed that not possible or not very easy at least.  

I don't think it will be fixed as I'm not convinced by the responses received that they consider it a defect.  From what I can gather is that they want any clients to speak the new 'language' to emby and then emby will record the activity.  However this seems a little strange since surely emby can work out what is being accessed via itself.  All clients are authenticating via emby and then emby is providing the media it requests, so surely it can record that activity as before.  

BasicUser

@Lukeor whoever else is meant to be responding to these forum messages.

1. Is this a defect that is acknowledged and being worked on?  If so, what is the ETA for it to be resolved?

2. If it's not currently being worked on and is in the defect backlog - can you please advise what method we can use for downgrading to the previous Emby Server version that does not have this issue?

Thanks for your help.

GrimReaper
On 2/20/2024 at 10:05 PM, Luke said:

the Symphonium developer is aware of necessary changes that need to be made, so hopefully they'll have an update out soon.

Dev pushed an update yesterday, required changes likely included.

Fixed:

• Improve error recovery for Cloud providers, pressing Sync again should try again to scan the files with network issues.
  • Fix home button not leaving library view when using the library shortcut in home page.
  • Fix sometimes wrong bitrate detection for Icy internet radios.
  • Fix long press in playlists not starting multi selection.
  • Fix Jellyfin resume point update as they no more support data in body.
    Added workaround to support more webdav servers like Swisscom myCloud.
  • Fix a Chromecast renderer issue that could have triggered image refresh on Nest hubs. (Huge thanks to Thomas for the help).
  • Symfonium tag parser now use all songs data to generate album genre, language and mood values.
  • Fix possible wrong song started with retain player state and shuffled enabled.
  • Try to better detect relay connections to Plex servers and attempt more often to find a better direct connection.
  • Necessary fixes to support Emby 4.8 API changes.
  • Added workaround for Next cloud music plugin returning 2 identical fake libraries.
  • Fix possible race with queue saving and multiple queues enabled.
  • Fix possible track replay gain being applied in auto mode when it should be the album one.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:55 AM, BasicUser said:

But when I try to downgrade to the previous version I get an error message that won't allow me to install as the current version is more recent. 

Is there a way around this to downgrade without having to fully uninstall Emby Server, and then reinstall the previous version as a fresh vanilla install?

57 minutes ago, BasicUser said:

can you please advise what method we can use for downgrading to the previous Emby Server version that does not have this issue?

Backwards compatibility was never officially supported nor stipulated (in particular between different server branches, i.e. 4.7 vs 4.8); unless you have a backup of your 4.7 installation, full rebuild would be required.

Tolriq

The fix does not fix the missing API solution for offline cached media that needs to be seen on the dashboard and the dashboard bug with multiple sessions.

BasicUser
13 hours ago, GrimReaper said:
On 21/02/2024 at 01:05, Luke said:

the Symphonium developer is aware of necessary changes that need to be made, so hopefully they'll have an update out soon.

Dev pushed an update yesterday, required changes likely included.

Fixed:

• Improve error recovery for Cloud providers, pressing Sync again should try again to scan the files with network issues.
  • Fix home button not leaving library view when using the library shortcut in home page.
  • Fix sometimes wrong bitrate detection for Icy internet radios.
  • Fix long press in playlists not starting multi selection.
  • Fix Jellyfin resume point update as they no more support data in body.
    Added workaround to support more webdav servers like Swisscom myCloud.
  • Fix a Chromecast renderer issue that could have triggered image refresh on Nest hubs. (Huge thanks to Thomas for the help).
  • Symfonium tag parser now use all songs data to generate album genre, language and mood values.
  • Fix possible wrong song started with retain player state and shuffled enabled.
  • Try to better detect relay connections to Plex servers and attempt more often to find a better direct connection.
  • Necessary fixes to support Emby 4.8 API changes.
  • Added workaround for Next cloud music plugin returning 2 identical fake libraries.
  • Fix possible race with queue saving and multiple queues enabled.
  • Fix possible track replay gain being applied in auto mode when it should be the album one.

Appreciate the detailed response here @GrimReaper

I am not a Symfonium user so this part of the thread is not for me.  But with the red text entry highlighted for the API changes, are you saying that these updates are expected to resolve the Now Playing issue that was introduced in 4.8?

Thanks for your help.

mattl1979
On 2/21/2024 at 12:55 AM, BasicUser said:

Since this Now Playing issue was introduced in version 4.8.1.0, is there any way to roll back to the previous version?

While you guys are hopefully fixing this defect to resolve, I wanted to install the previous Emby server version as I still have the file for it.

What I did in the interim is turn off the native Emby Synology app and instead install a new Docker (Container) image for the latest 4.7. Used the same ports, etc., to avoid re-configuring Symfonium. This is a good workaround for the time being. Once Tolriq, the Symfonium developer, gets the necessary API calls resolved, most likely with help from Luke, I will spin up a 4.8 or 4.9 Emby instance and retry a new Symfonium beta to test. I rely on this functionality so it was quite annoying to see it no longer work w/ v4.8. Not Tolriq's nor the SonixD's developer's fault, though.

Edited by mattl1979

Just for an update, sometime next week we'll have a 4.8.4 maintenance release of Emby Server and we'll try to include a workaround for older apps that can't be updated to newer Emby api conventions.

Symfonium is obviously not an older app and I'm working on getting Tolriq the info that he needs. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
BasicUser
On 02/03/2024 at 01:52, Luke said:

Just for an update, sometime next week we'll have a 4.8.4 maintenance release of Emby Server and we'll try to include a workaround for older apps that can't be updated to newer Emby api conventions.

Symfonium is obviously not an older app and I'm working on getting Tolriq the info that he needs. Thanks.

Hi @Lukejust following up on the approximate ETA for the 4.8.4 maintenance release you said might be coming through for last week.

Do you think that this will be out this coming week?  Thanks for your help.

BasicUser

Hi @Luke, it's been 2 weeks since your last update on this so is there any news on when your team is planning for the next release?  Thanks.  

22 hours ago, BasicUser said:

Hi @Luke, it's been 2 weeks since your last update on this so is there any news on when your team is planning for the next release?  Thanks.  

HI, with any luck by the end of the week, otherwise sometime next week.

• 3 weeks later...
BasicUser

Hi @Luke

Any update on this as you've given multiple timeframes of 2 weeks previously that have well passed each time.

Do you and the team have a target date you're working to for releasing the next version with the fixes included?

Thanks.

BasicUser

@GrimReaperas you commented on this topic previously - are you able to help with an update here please if @Lukeis unavailable at the moment?  Thanks.

Tolriq

Fun fact, repeatingly asking will not make things move faster :) That's why you should never give dates, else users keeps doing this.

BasicUser
35 minutes ago, Tolriq said:

Fun fact, repeatingly asking will not make things move faster :) That's why you should never give dates, else users keeps doing this.

At this point it would be nice to get an update, or at the very least a response to messages.

This defect was introduced 2+ months ago, so it would be helpful to know when the internal team are targeting to release the next version which also includes this fix.