Big Green Box on Live TV

Scott D

Scott D

Since the latest update, this problem has returned.  It seems that when playing a program from OTA source that is of lower resolution, the image gets displayed in a small box in the corner.

720 or better resolution shows display with no issue.

I will provide log files if necessary, but since this is a problem that has been solved several times in the past, maybe it's an easy/known fix.

Set-up:
HDHomeRun tuner
Emby 4.8.1.0
Roku Streaming Stick w 4.1.8
Hardware transcoding is off

Tried reducing the quality down to 480 @ 3 mbps.  No change

20240212_180727.jpg

20240212_210652.jpg

I'm guessing it is related to this:

15:46:43.658 [mpeg2video @ 0000018b21f0a0c0] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.

@softworkz

Scott D
9 hours ago, ebr said:

I'm guessing it is related to this:

15:46:43.658 [mpeg2video @ 0000018b21f0a0c0] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.

@softworkz

That being the best/only guess so far, how does one go about correcting the issue?

So the difference between the two is that there's no problem when the server does a full transcode, right?

Scott D

What I have found (and I may be completely off track) is that when the source video from the broadcaster is of a lower resolution (i.e. 480, old video tv shows) it shows up with the green box.  If the video is higher resolution (720) it seems to work with no issue. 

I have forced the rate down as low as I can and have the video remain viewable (480 1 mbps) and the green box will remain.  If I set the rate to AUTO, it also remains.

This same problem has happened in the past.  I am not sure what was done to correct the problem, but it was handled on your end in some way.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Scott D

Installed 4.17.4.0 and ran the same tests using this older version.  No problems with the content being displayed in a green box.  Also, no need to change the bitrate to a low value.

Sorry for the size of the server log as it was still in the process of building the library.

Program was started at around 19:00

embyserver-63844761600.txt ffmpeg-transcode-4a324fee-7590-4701-ae32-761d0b379581_1.txt

4.7 is transcoding by accident. Actually from the standpoint of the server, 4.8 is correct and 4.7 is not. Allow me to explain.

Sometimes ffmpeg doesn't detect the bitrate of the live video stream. When this happens we estimate it based on other info such as the codec and resolution. So here's the difference between the two servers:

• 4.7 is not detecting the video bitrate, and the estimated value just happens to be higher than your remote client bitrate setting. This causes the full transcode.
  • 4.8 is detecting a bitrate (likely due to updated ffmpeg build), and this value is lower than remote client bitrate setting, therefore no full video transcode.

This video needs to transcode, otherwise you're going to get the green box regardless of the server version because the Roku can't direct play it.

So essentially, the 4.7 server has a quirk, and you got used to it, but all along this has actually been an issue in the Roku app.

Anyway we need to add an interlaced transcoding condition into the app for mpeg2, and then that will be your fix for this. Then the bitrate will no longer matter.

One bit of curiosity though, if you make a recording from this channel and then play that, does it happen with the recording?

Scott D
9 hours ago, Luke said:

One bit of curiosity though, if you make a recording from this channel and then play that, does it happen with the recording?

I wish I could provide an answer for you.  I have performed a fresh install of 4.17.4.0 and things seem to be working as desired.  When I see some indication in the release notes that address other problems, I will update to the current version.  Until then, I think I'll be sticking at this version.

Thanks for looking into this issue.  Good luck with developing a fix.