Issue with emby and discord screen share

tiff1002
Go to solution Solved by darkassassin07,

tiff1002

One of the things I do regularly, being in a long distance relationship, is watch stuff together remotely over discord screen share.  Sometimes youtube sometimes emby and this has always worked really well.  It seems in some update to discord there now seems to be some kind of audio driver issue sometimes.  Certain high def videos have no sound over screen share and other work fine (there are no errors just no sound).

Now I tried to screenshare while watching the same video file opened in VLC and the problem still happens.  So this is not the fault of emby it would seem so why am I asking here?  Well I wonder if there is a way emby can fix it.  I assume the video is being transcoded locally and not server side (I may have mixed up the technical terms there a bit).  Is there a way to force the server to do all the work so that the audio is not reliant on an audio driver in discord that is not able to work with some of my higher definition videos.

• Solution
darkassassin07

You could try using the convert feature to create a different copy of the file with a different audio codec.

Right click on the item > convert.

Original folder, next to original files

Custom

MKV

H264

AAC

Original quality

If the audio's already in AAC swap that setting for MP3.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Thanks 1

tiff1002

I bet this would work but my conversions are failing so I need to work that out first

Lessaj

Sounds like a Discord issue to me, or something localized with your setup - could be multiple output devices for example. If you're doing the screen sharing from the desktop client, try it from a web browser instead to compare, or vice versa if using the web browser already.