Roku pin behavior not as expected

theaudcouple

theaudcouple

Codecat5 and ebr,  

Would it be possible to move the issues codecat5 is having to a new support ticket.

Thank you.

Guest CodeCat5
1 minute ago, theaudcouple said:

Codecat5 and ebr,  

Would it be possible to move the issues codecat5 is having to a new support ticket.

Thank you.

If you read my last post and look at the video, these are Roku security issues now too.

theaudcouple
4 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

If you read my last post and look at the video, these are Roku security issues now too.

My apologies, thank you for posting the video.  I did not see or read that you moved from android to roku.

Edited by theaudcouple
Typo

theaudcouple

Codecat5 video is what I experience.

I have not tried the other was of getting access he mentioned.

theaudcouple

Codecat5, thank you for confirming the problem I am having is not specific to my setup.

Guest CodeCat5
Just now, theaudcouple said:

Codecat5, thank you for confirming the problem I am having is not specific to my setup.

Yea, it's definitely not just you. I've seen the same issue with the broken PIN box on 3 different Roku devices, and had posted about it a couple of weeks ago already, but I hadn't realized the full extent of the issue until seeing your post and trying it out.

theaudcouple
2 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

Yea, it's definitely not just you. I've seen the same issue with the broken PIN box on 3 different Roku devices, and had posted about it a couple of weeks ago already, but I hadn't realized the full extent of the issue until seeing your post and trying it out.

Koodos for not taking offense at my request.  At this point, I think I'll take my docker emby back to 4.7.13.0 until this gets sorted out.

theaudcouple

4.7.13.0 is working as expected.  

I need to look to see if the updates since 4.7.13.0. include any security patches.

Also, I have been using the image from https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

I wonder if the image from docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-emby/ would yield different and hopefully better results.

Edited by theaudcouple

theaudcouple

Both docker image sources give the same result.  Reverting to an earlier version will work for now, but is not a solution.  It is now, as it has been, in the Emby team hands.  Please let me know if/how I can help with this issue,  as it seems there are many similar tickets revolving around the new pin system. 

Edited by theaudcouple

Hi, if you stay on the latest we'll work with you to keep on improving it.

theaudcouple
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, if you stay on the latest we'll work with you to keep on improving it.

If have a container on the latest emby docker image just for that reason. However, the current version of Emby is unusable for me.  Without the ability to have a profile inaccessible to those with the pin, I can't use the software.  Using passwords and logging out each time is not a practical or unable solution.

Looking forward to a working  new and improved pin authentication feature of Emby, hopefully soon.

So, I will use the 4.7 as the daily driver  but will gladly keep working with the Emby team on.the 4.8 version.  Just let me know how I can help.

Edited by theaudcouple

21 hours ago, CodeCat5 said:

I decided to try out of curiosity. It was easier to reproduce than I expected...

I'm pretty sure that this comes back to that "Remember Me?" bug that screws up the PIN entry that I told you about a couple of weeks ago.

*edit*

Yup, I confirmed it. I went into the settings and toggled "Remember Me?", then exited the app. The next time I launched Emby I could not see anything behind the PIN entry box, and pressing "OK" brings up the "Wrong PIN" pop-up instead of granting access.

However, there's still a bit of a security issue here as well. When you get to that "Wrong PIN" screen, just press the "back" button. The screen is mostly blank, but you can navigate up to the top settings cog and change anything you want there with no authentication necessary.

*edit #2*

Oh neat. From that same mostly black screen you can also use the search icon and get access to anything you search for, again, without any type of authorization. Apparently the app authenticates the user before the PIN is ever actually entered.

Okay, so just to confirm on this - you did not manually select a server, it just automatically went to the user selection screen, correct?

I think that's the difference in logic paths as I have multiple servers and have to select one first.  In reality, we should be forcing you to select a server too - otherwise, how would you add a new one?

Thanks.

theaudcouple

I get the ability to bypass the pin when I first add the server or when I select the server from the list of servers.  The Emby app does not directly log me into the last selected server but shows me a list of servers to select when I open the app.

2 hours ago, theaudcouple said:

The Emby app does not directly log me into the last selected server but shows me a list of servers to select when I open the app.

Hi.  That is how it should work. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to select (or add) a different server.

theaudcouple
2 hours ago, theaudcouple said:

I get the ability to bypass the pin when I first add the server or when I select the server from the list of servers.  The Emby app does not directly log me into the last selected server but shows me a list of servers to select when I open the app.

I was responding to this question.

"Okay, so just to confirm on this - you did not manually select a server, it just automatically went to the user selection screen, correct?"

15 hours ago, theaudcouple said:

I was responding to this question.

"Okay, so just to confirm on this - you did not manually select a server, it just automatically went to the user selection screen, correct?"

Okay, sorry, I asked that question before I gave you the updated beta - which now properly goes to the server selection screen instead of bypassing it.

Thanks.