Forced subs switch to match audio

MndWrp

MndWrp

Hello Emby people.

I was trying to make something happen but I'm not sure how exactly and I searched the forums and docs, but to no avail.

Basically I would like to have the forced subtitles always auto select themsleves to match the selected audio language.

So for example, if I have a movie that has English and French audio, and the english is the default track -> automatically select the english forced subtitles

If instead I switch the audio track to French -> automatically select the French forced subtitles.

I did try a few combinaisons of smart/default etc in the settings, but could not make it happen...

My logic is that Forced Subtitles are a companion of sorts to the selected audio language, that will display sub when dialogue is spoken in another language or when signage is displayed that should be read, the forced subs have the translation... So forced subs should always be on, if available, to match the audio language.

Any help, or tips would be most welcome !

Thanks !

Here's an example of my folder structure, with srt subs external

image.png.e8263e105cbf2458eec74c04b8f07718.png

Hi.  You basically cannot have more than one "forced" subtitle track per video.  Forced means that this track should be forced to play so having two of those doesn't really make sense.

You could accomplish what you want by making different versions of the video - one for each language.

rbjtech

Yep, it's actually a known deficiency of the MKV container format.  As Eric suggest, you can probably get around it by creating different versions of the source file - you don't need to literally copy it (use strm files) and then match with external srt files.

MndWrp

hm ok... weird limitation considering the subs are external..

Would that be a feature request then?

A new setting in Subtitle mode, something like : "Only Foced Subtitles that match Selected Audio" ?

Anyhow, thank you for the replies !

• Agree 2