Session stuck in Now Playing

ray-finkle

ray-finkle

I have a session stuck in the Now Playing activity section on my server which has been stuck this way for days now. It also has survived multiple restarts of the container and the service.

This is on version 4.8.1.0 running in Docker.

image.png.c6570071acdbe59864fc3a88a7a813cf.png

embyserver(3) - Copy.txt

Edited by ray-finkle

Hi.  Is it possible the app is still sitting there in a paused state at the end?

jaycedk

According to the screenshot the movie is 1 sec. into overtime.

And should have ended.

ray-finkle
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is it possible the app is still sitting there in a paused state at the end?

I'm not able to check the device right now but this is a family member that always falls asleep watching so I assume that's what happened.

Like the person above noted, you can see the time progression is showing 1 second more than the length of the video. Also, there are no pause/stop actions available on the stream.

18 hours ago, ray-finkle said:

you can see the time progression is showing 1 second more than the length of the video

Based on how that display works, I can see how that could happen.  The question still is, what is the state of the app/device?  If its still alive and pinging somehow, that is the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
ray-finkle

It went before I got to check it. I think family used before I got to it.

I'll post again if it reoccurs.

ray-finkle

Just caught this issue again, now for the third time, and checked the playback device.

The device (a fire tv) isn't playing anything back and is in the menus. Also, the activity which is stuck is not what was the most recently watched item; the stuck activity is the next to last watched item.

14 hours ago, ray-finkle said:

and is in the menus

Hi.  Where, exactly?

And do you have the server log from when that happened (and the time it happened)?

ray-finkle

Well another item had been played afterwards so it had already been backed out of playback, out to the main menu, then navigated to somewhere else. I can't recount the exact specifics.

Server log attached and it was happening while I posted so approx. 8:13 PM yesterday.

embyserver(2).txt

On 3/2/2024 at 3:37 PM, ray-finkle said:

Well another item had been played afterwards so it had already been backed out of playback, out to the main menu, then navigated to somewhere else. I can't recount the exact specifics.

Server log attached and it was happening while I posted so approx. 8:13 PM yesterday.

embyserver(2).txt 10.72 MB · 1 download

Hi, can you try to determine the specifics of what you did? From what I can see it looks like you're still playing. The app is still requesting data from the server. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Suliamu

I have also some very odd behaviour to report here regarding the sessions in admin interface. 

To illustrate this i've made a video. See attachment.

On the left side it's me. On the right side it is a family member that also falls asleep and is not very technical educated. 
The odd part is that when I as a user have my playback stopped, it looks like in this video in the beginning. 
At second 10 you will see what happens when i start the playback. 
At the right side it starts to iterate between two sessions. 
And it stops again flipping back and forth when I stop the playback.

Besides this bug it would be really nice if it would be possible to somehow set up a timer for a session to close if no activity happens.
24 hours or so.
This is just with one family member. If it will be more, those open sessions will happen even more and i cannot bother the people always
to close the tabs. 

Edit: Btw when i play nothing, and my user is not shown in this overview, it is also iterating between those two sessions.

Edited by Suliamu

ray-finkle
On 3/6/2024 at 12:05 AM, Luke said:

Hi, can you try to determine the specifics of what you did? From what I can see it looks like you're still playing. The app is still requesting data from the server. Thanks.

Luke - I've been waiting to capture the issue again. No luck yet.

@Suliamu Any chance  you routing thru a reverse proxy?

Suliamu
5 minutes ago, ray-finkle said:

Any chance  you routing thru a reverse proxy?

Yes i do. 
Is it because some sort of caching-thingy? 

ray-finkle

Not sure but I've been thinking it could be related. What software are you using for reverse proxy?

Suliamu
22 minutes ago, ray-finkle said:

What software are you using for reverse proxy?

Caddy with the most basic/default config.

ray-finkle

Great... Same. If you don't already, setup logging in caddy and hopefully we can replicate the issue and find something useful in caddy logs.

ray-finkle

Seeing a stuck stream right now and can confirm that both my firewall and Caddy reverse proxy see no traffic from the IP emby shows of the client. I've monitored the logs in both for about a half hour now.

I did notice some related active states in the firewall state table, killed those for good measure, and the session is still stuck in emby. It shows the playback time complete like all other instances we have seen. This time: 1:56:16/1:56:16.

I also did a packet cap on my firewall (on multiple involved interfaces) for a few minutes and there was nothing related to the client IP.

@Luke I think this makes it safe to say the client is not requesting data from the server.

@SuliamuProbably can rule out Caddy...

I've been doing this troubleshooting for maybe 1.5 hours now and suddenly the stuck session is gone...

• 2 weeks later...
Quack6765

Same thing for me. Seems like a stuck session. Also using caddy has my reverse proxy.

Hi, we'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

• 4 weeks later...