Emby Android TV app - Closed network

uspider7

uspider7

Hello, I have Emby premiere and my understand of the apps is that all features are unlocked if the server has an active Premiere key.  My android boxes are in a private VLAN which is cutoff from the internet, and it appears that Emby Android TV needs to communicate either with an external server or Google servers to unlock all features which sucks because I do not want to open up the VLAN.  Is there a version that can be sideloaded that only validates if the server has a valid Premiere license?

Thanks

Hi.  For Premiere features a periodic internet connection will be required.  If you only desire playback, then you would need to validate at least once with the Google store and then it should work without internet (as long as the Google stuff on the box allows it).

uspider7

@LukeBasically what @ebr indicated, if I allow internet access for the VLAN the app does unlock, but after awhile it goes into a expired state and the premiere features stop working (e.g. Live TV), which the wife is not happy about.

All of my media boxes are in this same VLAN and I do not want to enable internet access (for security reasons).  Why use Google services to validate license if the server has it?  I understand the need for those that only purchase the app, but for those that purchased Premiere can't that be enough?  Example, check server, if it fails, check google  (I'm sure I'm over simplifying it).

Thank you

Hi. We have device limits as well.  Premiere features will require periodic internet access.

uspider7
On 12/02/2024 at 12:43, ebr said:

Hi. We have device limits as well.  Premiere features will require periodic internet access.

I would assume the same in that the server can and does track (from what i can tell) the number of devices.  What attracted me to Media Browser 10+ years ago and then Emby was the ability to use the product locally without any web dependencies (minus the server for metadata).  I'm not a fan of apps that tether me to the web and I understand that the server does require a connection, but if that was severed it would still function (at least I think it would, haven't tried it yet) minus the metadata.  

I do hope there is some consideration to how the checks are done in future versions,  for now I will see what other options are out there that may help with my use case.

Thank you for the prompt responses.

rbjtech

Assuming you have the means to do so, there is nothing stopping you from only allowing the strickly necessary client egress communications to the emby validation servers to be initiated by the emby clients on your vlan.   If the client IP's are fixed (or simply allow the vlan) and you use a dns endpoint for the emby validation destination (mb3admin.com), limit the port to https - then from a security perspective - there really is nothing insecure about opening that up to meet your requirement.   

If this is actually a 'why do the clients need to call home' then that has been answered many times and is fundamentally required to stop emby becoming a goto platform for internet streaming piracy - which will ultimately take it offline for all of us to use.

Edited by rbjtech