Better handling of diacritical marks

wordlover

wordlover

Could Emby please ignore diacritical marks and similar non-alphabetic items for sorting: "¡Dundunbanza!" (w/ upside down Spanish exclamation) should import and have Sort Order set to "Dundunbanza!" Similarly, "...Plays Cole Porter" should import and have Sort Order set to "Plays Cole Porter." (All files from both these examples have no embedded "Album Sort" metatags - this is Emby's doing.)

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, wordlover said:

Could Emby please ignore diacritical marks and similar non-alphabetic items for sorting: "¡Dundunbanza!" (w/ upside down Spanish exclamation) should import and have Sort Order set to "Dundunbanza!" Similarly, "...Plays Cole Porter" should import and have Sort Order set to "Plays Cole Porter." (All files from both these examples have no embedded "Album Sort" metatags - this is Emby's doing.)

I think there is a file of ignored articles. I cannot remember its name right now but you can edit it to add or remove things to be ignored by Emby. I do not know if it works for characters outside the "norm" but you can give it a try. If i happen to remember its name I will post back here or, maybe, someone with a younger brain can clarify exactly what the name of said file is and if it will work for this need. 

If you search these forums for "ignore" the file might surface.

I think I found it. At least I found this on a simple search:

Edit the SortRemoveWords values in the SYSTEM.XML file on your Emby server.

I hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
Additions

wordlover

I will investigate, but expecting users to edit system files isn't the best way Emby could handle this issue.

Gilgamesh_48
9 minutes ago, wordlover said:

I will investigate, but expecting users to edit system files isn't the best way Emby could handle this issue.

Emby does not, I believe, want users editing system files. This is presented simply as a possible workaround until when and if Emby decided to add the new characters themselves. But it is possible that Emby may decide that the need is so tiny that making Emby ignore them for everyone is not practical. 

There have been, in the years i have used Emby, many times I have asked for a feature/change/enhancement that I thought was both needed and easy but Emby, looking at the bigger picture, decided to not implement what I asked for.
Of course there have also been some, fewer than the denied ones, that have ended up being implemented. Of course once Emby starts making changes the users have very little direct impact. 

Sometime I feel a bit like a minor Second Foundation speaker when he/she finds the changes to the Prime Radiant he/she submitted. There is a feeling of "belonging" when we see the impact we had on the system. ;) 

I think the examples in the first post are matters of taste and don't necessarily have right or wrong answers. I think if you try them on a variety of apps you're likely to see different behavior. For example, even in windows explorer I can see contradictory sorting to what is being suggested here.