Password Required on local network every time

Squiggley

Squiggley

Think this is still an issue I am being asked every time on nvidia shield tv for a password on local lan.

It wasn't like that before I upgraded.

Thanks

@Squiggleyhave you configured the auto-login option in the app's settings? What version of the Emby app do you have installed on the Shield?

Joker

I have the same issue. Been using my account on local LAN password-free for years. Recently, Emby has been prompting me to enter a password when no password has ever been configured. I get the problem on Emby for FireTV and using the Emby LG app across multiple TVs. I don't get asked to login if I access Emby via a webpage on my PC.

When I check the server, Emby is telling me that "Emby Server Updated to 4.8.1.0 on HTPC-TV" on 10th Feb, although we've been experiencing the issue for about a week before that.

@LukeI haven't changed anything in any of the apps re: auto-logon. Where would I go to check that? As I can't login with my own (admin) account I am using my daughter's non-admin account as a workaround for now. Are app settings per-user or shared?

browned

I got the login prompt on the local LAN as well. I noticed 2 accounts with padlocks on the icons on the login page. Once I typed the password and checked the auto login option was still setup in the app it hasn't prompted since. I noticed the app said I need to login to change the auto login settings.....but I was logged in.

13 hours ago, Joker said:

I have the same issue. Been using my account on local LAN password-free for years. Recently, Emby has been prompting me to enter a password when no password has ever been configured. I get the problem on Emby for FireTV and using the Emby LG app across multiple TVs. I don't get asked to login if I access Emby via a webpage on my PC.

When I check the server, Emby is telling me that "Emby Server Updated to 4.8.1.0 on HTPC-TV" on 10th Feb, although we've been experiencing the issue for about a week before that.

@LukeI haven't changed anything in any of the apps re: auto-logon. Where would I go to check that? As I can't login with my own (admin) account I am using my daughter's non-admin account as a workaround for now. Are app settings per-user or shared?

Hi, I apologize for the disruption. In the Emby app on the Shield, have you enabled the option in settings to control your login preference as desired?

Also, have you checked out the new profile pin feature? This will allow you to have multiple users signed in and switch between them using pins. The Emby app on the Fire TV and for LG will both be getting that very soon. Thanks.

Squiggley
On 11/02/2024 at 08:09, Luke said:

@Squiggleyhave you configured the auto-login option in the app's settings? What version of the Emby app do you have installed on the Shield?

Thanks for the response @Lukeafter checking the forums I have found out it was an intentional change due to the possibility of local Lan being spoofed from the Wan. And as the forums suggested I only need to login once then it works on auto until I reboot. Quite a happy compromise if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, Squiggley said:

Thanks for the response @Lukeafter checking the forums I have found out it was an intentional change due to the possibility of local Lan being spoofed from the Wan. And as the forums suggested I only need to login once then it works on auto until I reboot. Quite a happy compromise if you ask me.

Great thanks for the feedback.

And for those using Emby for LG, version 1.0.41 has been released to the store tonight and it now supports the new profile pin feature.

Bordenuk

For major functionality changes/breaking changes,  I think a popup dialog box would be handy on first run of each client, to avoid threads like this, and/or us wasting 20 minutes going over and over and over the settings trying to find the option you removed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
notla49285

Why is this now an app setting rather than a server setting?! I dearly wish software companies would stop f***ing with things that work...

8 minutes ago, notla49285 said:

Why is this now an app setting rather than a server setting?

Because the functionality changed from being an alternate authentication method to an additional layer of parental control and you would only want it on shared devices.  You don't want to have to enter your PIN every time on your phone but you may on your TV.

notla49285

I don't want to enter a PIN or a password into the TV, and I don't have kids so have no need for any kind of parental controls. The problem this causes now is I often use Emby (well, used to) via a browser, my browser cache is cleared often so now I need to enter my password every single time. It worked fine before, now it's a complete pain.

polaris70

I have the same problem. In the Google Play Store, if you choose to download Emby TV, it keeps asking you for a username and password every time you want to sign in. The best way to avoid this is to download the Emby app only, not the Emby TV app. To use the Emby app, make sure to select the 'remember' radio button.

4 hours ago, notla49285 said:

I don't want to enter a PIN or a password into the TV, and I don't have kids so have no need for any kind of parental controls. The problem this causes now is I often use Emby (well, used to) via a browser, my browser cache is cleared often so now I need to enter my password every single time. It worked fine before, now it's a complete pain.

Hi, what if you exempt the web app from clearing browsing data?

2 hours ago, notla49285 said:

I don't want to enter a PIN or a password into the TV, and I don't have kids so have no need for any kind of parental controls

So all you need to do is NOT assign a Profile PIN and set the app to login as the last user. 

1 hour ago, polaris70 said:

I have the same problem. In the Google Play Store, if you choose to download Emby TV, it keeps asking you for a username and password every time you want to sign in. The best way to avoid this is to download the Emby app only, not the Emby TV app. To use the Emby app, make sure to select the 'remember' radio button.

Hi.  All you have to do is set the app to remember the last user - which is actually the default...