Android app on shield - infinite loading

Vatash

Vatash

The android app on the Nvidia shield is infinite loading.   If I unistall the app, and reinstall then it will start fine and run (1 time only) .  If I exit the app then try to restart it it is infinite loading.

My server is running fine (unraid docker) .  I can access on my computer just fine. From emby theatre or the Docker Webui.

JelloLabs

I think it happened to me before, If i remember is because I messed with the home settings like enhanced home option or something, I had to clear the data and will start again, same as uninstalling for you. Wish apps would get some love 😕 

Vatash

I have not changed any settings.   And unistalling only works for one play.  If I exit the app I have to uninstall and reload again to get it to work everytime.   Only happening on my shield pros.  Nothing else.

JelloLabs
Just now, Vatash said:

I have not changed any settings.   And unistalling only works for one play.  If I exit the app I have to uninstall and reload again to get it to work everytime.   Only happening on my shield pros.  Nothing else.

got you, yea happened to me also on 4.8, 4.7 never had issues.
What version you have for the android tv app ? they suggest sideloading the standard android app instead.

Vatash

Not at the shield at the moment,  but I have not changed anything except regular updates in years.  Worked fine yesterday.  Does not work today.

Hi.  How are you setting your 'Login behavior"?  After you install, do you change ANY settings?

Vatash

i have not changed any settings in years. Literally.  My app has always just auto logged in.  When I do the reinstall it does everything normally - no settings are asked for or changed.  I do not have to setup anything.  It just works.  When I exit the app and then restart the app it is infinite loading again.   Emby works fine on any non android device I have.  (I am not currently at home if you need me to look at anything specific,  I will not be home for 6-7 hours.)

Edited by Vatash

Vatash

When I fresh install it goes to select user at startup.  (I only have 1) It asks for password.   I enter it and it starts normally.

Does this on all 3 Shields I have.

I have tried all the differnet starup behaviorsm but it does not make a differnce. Infinite loading on 2nd start of app.

A roku I have starts up just fine like my PC's

4 hours ago, Vatash said:

When I fresh install it goes to select user at startup.  (I only have 1) It asks for password.   I enter it and it starts normally.

Does this on all 3 Shields I have.

I have tried all the differnet starup behaviorsm but it does not make a differnce. Infinite loading on 2nd start of app.

A roku I have starts up just fine like my PC's

Hi, if you restart the Shield, then launch the Emby app, how does that compare?

Vatash

If it is not a fresh reinstall, it just does the infinite loading.   I had also tried clearing the cache before and after tring to load.  Logging out before trying to load a 2nd time.

After I unistall and reinstall when I get to the first screen it will show that the use had logged in x number of minutes ago like the shield thinks it loaded okay, but I never get past the spinning wheel.

Hi. Do you use a proxy of any kind?

Is there anything "interesting" about your server or device - like the names containing non-Unicode characters etc.?

Vatash

Nope,

My network is pretty simple.  Static IP.  Name of server is just one word.   The shield app It has no problem seeing it when I do a fresh install, it loads up immediately.   Every other system and version of Emby plays just fine.

I also run plex and Jellyfin ( I have for years)  No settings have changed.  Night before first post it worked.  Next day infinite loading.

Edited by Vatash
more info

Vatash

I could delete the docker and do it over again on the unraid server, but I worry it is going to do the same thing since it is only the Nvidia app that I currently have the problem on.   I have an android tablet or a phone I can try it on when I get home.  Currently I only run Emby on 4 PC's, 1 Nvidia shield, 2 Nvidia shield pros, and a Roku Ultra.  A few game console have the app and a few TV's, but I had not tried it on them.

Edited by Vatash

Do you have any sort of customization to the home screen/launcher on the Shield?

Vatash

Just tested on an android tablet and phone.  Both worked fine.  Installed, played, quit, played again.  Going to check some more things.

Vatash

Unistalled app.  Reinstalled app.  Logged in with connect and pin.  Played file.  Exited.  Was able to open app again and play file.  Weird thing is other 2 shields worked after the first one reconnected.  Not exactly sure what did fix this.  I changed no settings anywhere.  Just kept uninstalling and reinstalling.   Changed how I logged in.

Thanks for attempting to help. 

Thanks for following up. Please let us know if you run into anything else.

Jam_Lai

if you are using Nvidia Shield , you better change to use Emby Android instead of Android TV app,

Android TV app works for my Sony Andorid TV but not work well with Nvidia Shield, but Android app works perfect with Nvidia Shield,

but Android app doesn't support Android TV-Play next, it's not showing "thumb.jpg" , it shows "poster.jpg", that's why the cover cannot be shown correctly,

can emby team fix it and can the team also add a chaptor function like Android TV app, when I press "up" arrow I can choose select the chapter?

Vatash

Jam,

My problem is fixed.  I have never had a problem with the android tv app  except the one issue and I have used it for years on multiple devices.  I don't need to sideload an app for it to work.  All of my covers work just the way I want and chapters work fine.  You may want to start your own thread for the problems you have.