New Server Build- any thoughts?

tomreidy

Q-Droid
46 minutes ago, tomreidy said:

Okay.  I made everyone's max at 30 Mbps on the server.  Does that sound okay?  My highest Bitrate movie is 19.

A couple of things about this:

1. Setting a server side bitrate limit for individual users and/or global for everyone. This limits the per stream bitrate. 

2. Setting a client side bitrate limit on each individual client. This prevents bandwidth detection and the server uses the lowest of the two values for the stream. 

If you allow the bandwidth detection to happen then chances are that your users will get a ridiculously low value for the bitrate. It then forces transcoding and poor quality for the stream when there's enough to direct play or transcode to a decent rate. 

• Agree 1

tomreidy
12 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, what are you hoping to accomplish by doing that?

I don’t know?   Someone said to limit the Users Bitrate.  I am slowly understanding the suggestions I am getting.  I am a 66 year old guy who is just trying to have some fun with a hobby and provide some enjoyment for my friends and family.  
So, with that in mind- how should I set up my server settings in conjunction with my client settings to insure the best experience?   Should I make a list of their internet speeds and then set a predetermined bitrate for that user?   And then- have them set their client settings similarly?   I love the Emby App and this community has some many brilliant people who have helped me to get this hobby started.  I just struggle sometimes with understanding the suggestions and how to implement them into my system.  I will add that several years ago when I decided to expand my access to outside my home and realized that my server didn’t have the ability to do that and someone suggested installing a P4000- I trust the information I have gotten from this community and am very grateful.  

Q-Droid
3 hours ago, tomreidy said:

So, with that in mind- how should I set up my server settings in conjunction with my client settings to insure the best experience?   Should I make a list of their internet speeds and then set a predetermined bitrate for that user?   And then- have them set their client settings similarly?

Since you have very high speed service it's more important that your clients set a limit. Even a dozen users streaming are unlikely to put a dent in your capacity. Matching their speeds on your side would help if they were to set their limits to a value higher than their actual service and the stream was higher too. 

This isn't a huge deal or problem. It's merely the answer to your question on how to help your users with low bandwidth have an enjoyable experience and it applies to all users.

tomreidy

So- what formula or speed should I use to get this balance?  All I need is a little direction.  

Thanks in advance for all your help

tomreidy

BTW- Tonight I am going to put it through a test.  I will wait until several friends and family start watching something and slowly start throwing everything Local I have.  I want to see the CPU/RAM/IGPU sweat a little.

RanmaCanada
On 15/03/2024 at 16:40, tomreidy said:

BTW- Tonight I am going to put it through a test.  I will wait until several friends and family start watching something and slowly start throwing everything Local I have.  I want to see the CPU/RAM/IGPU sweat a little.

How did your testing go?  

tomreidy
3 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

How did your testing go?  

It didn't.  We got a new Mini Goldendoodle puppy and she is in a cage at night.  I can't handle her crying to be rescued from the "cage", and to get to my basement where all of the equipment is I need to walk very close to the Pantry where she is being kept.  I will post my test when I am able to do it.  May be a couple of weeks....

RanmaCanada
43 minutes ago, tomreidy said:

It didn't.  We got a new Mini Goldendoodle puppy and she is in a cage at night.  I can't handle her crying to be rescued from the "cage", and to get to my basement where all of the equipment is I need to walk very close to the Pantry where she is being kept.  I will post my test when I am able to do it.  May be a couple of weeks....

Taking care of doggo is far more important!  I hope it all goes well.