Won't display certain subtitles formats when transcoding/remuxing

rechigo

rechigo

I'm having an issue where certain video files (not all files have this issue) containing internal SUBRIP and ASS subtitles files won't display if the file is being transcoded or remuxed. I am using the latest Emby server Beta and Emby for Roku 4.1 build 8. These subtitles display just fine for the video files in question while transcoding/remuxing on other platforms (web, android). SRT subtitles display just fine while transcoding/muxing. 

Let me know if I should provide transcode log and)or Roku log (please instruct/link how to do this, it's been a while)

Edited by rechigo

Hi.  That log indicates that no subtitles were selected at the time...  are you sure it is the right one?

rechigo
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That log indicates that no subtitles were selected at the time...  are you sure it is the right one?

Are you referring to the Roku log or Remux log? I'm pretty confident I had them selected, but I can try to get the logs again and see !

• Thanks 1

rechigo

Okay, here are some more FFmpeg remux logs. I resubmitted Roku logs as well.

There are multiple logs because I switched subtitles a few times and restarted playback.

Submitted at: ~8:48 PM EST

Playback user: rechigo

Playing back Narcos S01E07 with SUBRIP subtitles enabled while remuxing (due to incompatible audio codec)

ffmpeg-remux-70b9de23-72e9-4936-ac43-5e5806b97b28_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-d3c2e6d4-fb1a-409e-bf48-1cbe3d557b91_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-7eca0b22-d6dc-4970-9132-f53bca72597c_1.txt

Did you select the subtitles prior to playback, or in the video player?

rechigo

I tried setting them before playing and in the OSD during playback, they don't show no matter what

According to the app log, they should be getting delivered externally:

[VideoPlayer] Manual change to subs: <44191_d_0>http://192.168.1.208:8096/emby/Videos/23402/2e3fac5903fb8f7cf84c28c00a0d6b62/Subtitles/3/0/Stream.subrip?

rechigo
4 hours ago, ebr said:

According to the app log, they should be getting delivered externally:

[VideoPlayer] Manual change to subs: <44191_d_0>http://192.168.1.208:8096/emby/Videos/23402/2e3fac5903fb8f7cf84c28c00a0d6b62/Subtitles/3/0/Stream.subrip?

I tried playing the same episode again, and checked my Emby server log for the subtitle request URL. I was able to open it in my browser and it displayed all of the subtitles for that episode. Does this mean that we can chalk this up to being an issue with the app not displaying subtitles? Where should we go from here?

image.png.76bd4eae1b928b6e4560b006b3464413.png

The app doesn't handle it, the Roku player does so I don't really know what is going on here...

Can you please attach the corresponding emby server log? thanks.

rechigo

OK. In the server log, I am noticing some errors on requests to .subrip files.. Maybe this is why? 

Is there any reason why we don't convert subtitles to SRT and give them to Roku instead? This is what appears to happen when playing media with .subrip in the web apps and I never have had any issues.

embyserver (2).txt

Thanks. For comparison purposes, can you provide a server log from playing the same thing in the web app, also with subtitles enabled.

rechigo
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks. For comparison purposes, can you provide a server log from playing the same thing in the web app, also with subtitles enabled.

Here is a fresh log file after playing the same video back in the web app. Let me correct myself: the web app converts subrip to webVTT, not SRT.

sublog-webapp.txt

Gilgamesh_48

Of course rather than wanting Emby to support everything we (users) should make the effort to get our media in forms Emby supports. 

rechigo
8 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Of course rather than wanting Emby to support everything we (users) should make the effort to get our media in forms Emby supports. 

I'm not 100% sure who this is directed towards, but the header on Emby's about page reads "Your media, your way"... Emby is supposed to take the hassle out of having to format/standardize your entire library to a single audio/video/subtitle codec by automatically transcoding audio/video/subtitles when needed.

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, rechigo said:

I'm not 100% sure who this is directed towards, but the header on Emby's about page reads "Your media, your way"... Emby is supposed to take the hassle out of having to format/standardize your entire library to a single audio/video/subtitle codec by automatically transcoding audio/video/subtitles when needed.

There are some media formats that this absolutely can not be done with though, and some hardware that refuses to support certain playback limitations.  For example if you had PGS subs only, and your device does not support PGS subs, there is absolutely no way for Emby to transpose those image based subs into text based subs on the fly without burning them in, which would not be direct playing and would cause significant server overhead (some people do run with transcoding turned off on their servers).  It is something that needs to be done offline and by hand with software like subtitle edit.

I think we found something so please let us know if the next update to the Emby Roku app resolves it. Thanks.

rechigo
1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

There are some media formats that this absolutely can not be done with though, and some hardware that refuses to support certain playback limitations.  For example if you had PGS subs only, and your device does not support PGS subs, there is absolutely no way for Emby to transpose those image based subs into text based subs on the fly without burning them in, which would not be direct playing and would cause significant server overhead (some people do run with transcoding turned off on their servers).  It is something that needs to be done offline and by hand with software like subtitle edit.

That's true, I didn't consider image-based subtitles, and I agree with everything you said. However, it shouldn't ever matter what format of text-based subtitles somebody uses, those are always possible to convert on the server to a format compatible the client. 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I think we found something so please let us know if the next update to the Emby Roku app resolves it. Thanks.

Is there a scheduled date for this, or has it already been released? Checked & am currently on build 10, still no subtitles displaying.

11 hours ago, rechigo said:

Is there a scheduled date for this, or has it already been released? Checked & am currently on build 10, still no subtitles displaying.

Hi.  The Roku process takes a couple of days and they don't work weekends.  We will get it out as soon as we can.

Thanks.

rechigo

I recently got upgraded to build 12 - still no change, ASS subtitles are not displaying :(

9 hours ago, rechigo said:

ASS subtitles are not displaying

Can we please see a new set of logs from an example?

Also, have you tried selecting the option to have them burned in?

rechigo
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Can we please see a new set of logs from an example?

Also, have you tried selecting the option to have them burned in?

Like before, whether I select subtitles on the media info screen before playback, or via video OSD, no .ASS subtitles will display. Enabling "Burn in SSA" subtitles in settings, and attempting to play the video with subtitles enabled causes the Roku app to hang on the video loading screen (33%). Attempting to enable subtitles while the video is playing behaves similarly (hangs on the loading screen, no video playback until I disable subtitles and restart playback)

Roku Logs:

Submitted at: ~10:49 PM EST

Playback user: rechigo

Playing back Narcos S02E07 with .ASS subtitles enabled

Server, transcode, and remux logs are present in the attached archive. Debug logging was enabled. Hopefully, something can be found in there.

LATEST-SERVER-DEBUG.zip