Issues with M3U Recordings On Certain Channels

tmurphy2792

tmurphy2792

So for those of you who may have seen me posting about m3u issues in another thread, I chose to post this as it's own thread because I think this is a separate issue, or at least seems to be.

Background:
The channel in question is an m3u feed (720p h.264 .ts) of "Comet TV" (a free OTA channel). 
The issue seems to only happen sometimes depending where the recording starts. If the show has already started then the recording performs beautifully and everything goes great.
If the recording starts while the previous show's credits are still running (or I force it to start early using the series recording settings), it does fine at first, up until the credits end and what I'm assuming should be a commercial break hits. At this point the recording either dies, or the video and audio get severely messed up, usually for the rest of the recording, sometimes it clears up.

When I try to do anything with the file in windows it really doesn't like the file, takes several seconds to open anything when I right click and takes another several seconds to open properties. (See screenshot)
When I open the video in VLC it behaves fairly the same as it does in emby, first play through gets to the "breakpoint" and then restarts the video. Second or third playthrough it makes it through with a whole lot of audio and video issues

To see if it would resolve the issue, I tried running the m3u stream through a PC running xTeVe and using streamlink as a buffer, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Any solutions?

Log is attached. Example video file shows a modified time of 2024-02-08 16:00:02 in windows, so guessing that means that's when the recording ended.

recording properties.PNG

embyserver-63843033601.txt

spaghetti

Take the .ts off the end of all your m3u channels then refresh the guide and try again.

tmurphy2792
25 minutes ago, spaghetti said:

Take the .ts off the end of all your m3u channels then refresh the guide and try again.

Hey @spaghettithanks for the suggestion. Though I'm unsure how or if I can follow it in my situation.
I have a local m3u8 that has several sources in it, including the below path for comet tv.

http://usgeowall.sinclairstoryline.com/channel/3e45c6b5354a40f787e0b2aadb0f5d6a.m3u8

If i download said m3u8 and look at the streams inside it, it appears to be more m3u8s for various quality streams, then inside those are links to .ts files but they appear to be segmented or something?

I'm wondering if there is something I can play with in the parameters of this url (720p feed in above m3u8 link)?

https://content-ause2-up-1.uplynk.com/channel/3e45c6b5354a40f787e0b2aadb0f5d6a/g.m3u8?tc=1&exp=1614631202&rn=1156942286&ct=c&cid=3e45c6b5354a40f787e0b2aadb0f5d6a&ad=comet&repl=aboi&ad.adUnit=%2FCOMET%2FLivestream_midroll&ad.ad_rule=1&ad.pmad=12&ad.output=xml_vmap1&sig=5ddba8e8016ce06ed1c5f4b24b948705f771a12d3008729bdee3c3cedd8c8f19&pbs=28f4cdb657b14dbc875d35dbd23f2684

spaghetti

You can open your m3u file in a text editor and remove all .ts tags at once very simple, example below.

txt.jpg

txt1.jpg

Due to the .ts extension, this causes emby server to treat it like a .ts stream.

But it sounds like that's not what it actually is, it's an hls manifest, so if you can remove that extension of change to m3u then that should help.

tmurphy2792
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Due to the .ts extension, this causes emby server to treat it like a .ts stream.

But it sounds like that's not what it actually is, it's an hls manifest, so if you can remove that extension of change to m3u then that should help.

I'm not quite sure how to do that in this case.
I'm pointing to an m3u8 hosted by the provider that contains multiple m3u8s (also hosted by provider) for different qualities, and those m3u8s are what contain the .ts extension. But when I try pointing to anything other than the root m3u8 those sub m3u8s stop working after awhile.

Any idea what I can do in this situation as I cannot control the .ts extension in the final layer m3u8?

tmurphy2792

@LukeI know you're fairly busy, but wondering if you can offer any additional guidance for my specific situation? I'm unable to remove the ".ts" because I cannot edit the final layer m3u to my knowledge.

I don't think i fully understand the situation. Whose server is hosting that .ts url?

tmurphy2792
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

I don't think i fully understand the situation. Whose server is hosting that .ts url?

M3U and .ts url are hosted on the same domain.

The problem I run into is if I try to just download and use that final layer M3U with the .ts urls edited, it only works for a few hours (looks like the .ts urls change?).
So to maintain stability I'm pointing to a parent M3U (also hosted by them) that seems to stay up to date with appropriate links.

M3U and .ts url are hosted on the same domain.

Whose server is hosting that .ts url?

So to maintain stability I'm pointing to a parent M3U (also hosted by them) that seems to stay up to date with appropriate links.

So then can't you just put those into the m3u that you feed into emby server, instead of the .ts urls?

tmurphy2792
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Whose server is hosting that .ts url?

The .ts url is hosted by uplynk. My understanding is they're a third party streaming host used by sinclair (owner of this channel) to stream the content.
https://comettv.com/watch-live/

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

So then can't you just put those into the m3u that you feed into emby server, instead of the .ts urls?

If I understand what you're asking, that's currently what I'm doing is pointing emby to the parent M3U hosted by sinclair. ( http://usgeowall.sinclairstoryline.com/channel/3e45c6b5354a40f787e0b2aadb0f5d6a.m3u8 )
I should amend my previous post to clarify this is only "more" stable in that the link doesn't completely die on me.  I still end up running into the issues I've reported in this thread.
If the recording happens to start before the end of the previous show, where the commercial break should be between shows seems to completely trash the recording and make it go haywire.