Apple TV app missing basic features?

marriedman

marriedman

I literally just got an Apple TV today and I can't seem to find the settings for basic things. I can't find the alphabet for jumping quickly through my library. I can't see where to change my subtitles to yellow with a dark background. The is an ever so slight delay in audio, but I can't change the sync.

I did a quick search on the forum, and it seems like these are things that have been requested for the past 4 years. Is this app no longer supported?

marriedman

Well, been using it for a a little while and can't believe it. The LG app is actually better than this.  I actually like the Apple hardware, but I only wanted this for a Emby streamer and the Apple app doesn't do many of the things I find important. 

Infuse is an option others have mentioned, but it doesn't allow for user switching nor music playback. Went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a damned Nvidia Shield. I'll be giving this Apple TV to my daughter for her birthday I think.

BeachBum83

It is appalling. Especially since Plex and Infuse both demonstrate that it can be done well so long as someone actually cares about it. I regularly have days where I regret going with Emby instead of Plex.

I wonder what the response would be if Emby offered a black-friday style "day of refund" for Apple TV customers who bought an Emby Premiere subscription and now regret it ...

• Like 1

HI, we are working on getting these features added to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks for the feedback.

marriedman
2 hours ago, BeachBum83 said:

I regularly have days where I regret going with Emby instead of Plex.

Nope - Emby as a whole will never get bad enough to drive me to Plex. If somehow Emby went away tomorrow, I'd go back to using Kodi and SMB shares before I would support Plex. They are the antithesis to who I want to support. Emby developers - so far in my experience - are real people and not greedy sellouts.  

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, we are working on getting these features added to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a roadmap or changelog where users can see what progress is being made on the Apple app? No offence, but I've seen forum posts that are 4+ years old asking for these things. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
cnwinger
On 2/11/2024 at 11:38 AM, marriedman said:

Nope - Emby as a whole will never get bad enough to drive me to Plex. If somehow Emby went away tomorrow, I'd go back to using Kodi and SMB shares before I would support Plex. They are the antithesis to who I want to support. Emby developers - so far in my experience - are real people and not greedy sellouts.  

Is there a roadmap or changelog where users can see what progress is being made on the Apple app? No offence, but I've seen forum posts that are 4+ years old asking for these things. 

Don't get your hopes up...going on 6 years and counting:

Apple TV isn't a priority for the Emby staff.

Also, don't bother asking Luke about it, you'll only get a robotic "we're working on it" response.  I think it's actually a bot.

Thelasts

Hi @Luke, I’ve moved over from Plex to Emby and find the server aspects more robust than I’d come to experience recently on Plex however there’s a significant gap between the Plex app on Apple TV and the Emby app, as an example even looking at the live tv guide you have no idea on the Apple TV which shows are new or repeats which you get on the Emby iPad app. There isn’t even a clock anywhere on the UI so you know what time it is.

is the Apple TV app being actively developed with planned regular capability drops or should I pull stumps with my Apple TVs and look to another platform?

TIA

jason

19 hours ago, Thelasts said:

Hi @Luke, I’ve moved over from Plex to Emby and find the server aspects more robust than I’d come to experience recently on Plex however there’s a significant gap between the Plex app on Apple TV and the Emby app, as an example even looking at the live tv guide you have no idea on the Apple TV which shows are new or repeats which you get on the Emby iPad app. There isn’t even a clock anywhere on the UI so you know what time it is.

is the Apple TV app being actively developed with planned regular capability drops or should I pull stumps with my Apple TVs and look to another platform?

TIA

jason

Hi, yes we are working on getting the Emby Apple TV caught up to our other apps. Thanks.

• Like 2