Anyone else have stuttering/glitching video since the recent update?

Blam84

Blam84

Originally, I thought it was because I turned on video thumbnail previews. But I've since removed them, and now I have plenty of my media that's glitching, stuttering, and repeating. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

• Agree 1

Blam84

I will try to find the bandwidth to gather this information and send along. 

Blam84

I'm not sure which one it is, but these are the log  files from what we were watching at the time. It was on a Roku, so if these aren't helpful, and you need the Roku debug logs, let me know.

ffmpeg-transcode-ae9a0034-0df9-4e95-bf1b-0ea596bf5d69_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-ea1f1e98-8583-43ae-9236-4ed986347645_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-28b60aae-680d-42f4-9257-6efd6d1c30c0_1.txt

Hi. There will be a new update to the Roku app next week.  We should re-evaluate with that.

Thanks.

• Like 1

ghostuw

I had the same problem only on my Roku devices.  I was able to resolve it by replacing the ffmpeg files with the latest from ffmpeg.org (well their link to someone who compiled them for Windows).  Probably not the best solution but it seems to work now.

20 hours ago, ghostuw said:

I had the same problem only on my Roku devices.  I was able to resolve it by replacing the ffmpeg files with the latest from ffmpeg.org (well their link to someone who compiled them for Windows).  Probably not the best solution but it seems to work now.

We do NOT recommend this. 

tedfroop21

Don't know I would call it stuttering - more like it switches to a very low frame rate,  and gets jerky.  I have seen it a couple times.

ghostuw
4 hours ago, ebr said:

We do NOT recommend this. 

I agree with this recommendation as I have discovered issues with not using Emby's version of FFMPEG.  I was under duress because the wife couldn't watch her shows 🙂.

tedfroop21

Watched a mix of content since installing the beta @ebr sent a link to this morning and all seems OK so far.  

- Mix of MP4, MKV, HEVC content (including files that I saw a problems on.)

- Mix of frame rates - 24 and 30 FPS

I had a movie I started watching the other day that had some issues but I had not watched it since I ripped it.  I am playing it right now and it has no issues at all.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 2:53 PM, Blam84 said:

Just had my first issue since the Roku update. Pearl Harbor stopped, rewound a few seconds, and then played, without me doing anything to the remote or having any issues with internet, etc. This took place at 14:4 4. embyserver_stutter_pearlHarbor_1444.txt

Hi, please attach the ffmpeg log as well. Thanks.

Blam84

The stuttering is happening almost constantly now with multiple files. How do I revert back to the old version of Emby?

fridgefins

Im also experiencing intermittent starting/stopping in recent days, maybe a week.  Not sure if its a networking issue and dont see any errors or irregularities in the logs so I came to see if anyone was experiencing anything.

HI, can you please try the Emby Server 4.8.3 update and let us know if this helps? Thanks !

Blam84

I'm attempting to apply update but the version showing as active is 4.8.1.0. However, there are 44 alerts starting at midnight EST showing that 4.8.3.0 is installed. I am asked to restart the server. When I do, the update doesn't apply and I am prompted to install the update again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Blam84 said:

I'm attempting to apply update but the version showing as active is 4.8.1.0. However, there are 44 alerts starting at midnight EST showing that 4.8.3.0 is installed. I am asked to restart the server. When I do, the update doesn't apply and I am prompted to install the update again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

This typically means that some file or other in Emby is being held open somewhere (it's never clear where!).  A reboot of the host server would clear it in this case.

Paul

Blam84
Posted (edited)

I have restarted the server and the issue persists. I have also removed the automatic update checkbox several times and saved the setting, and it keeps reapplying.

Edited by Blam84

Blam84

Any advice @Luke? It still continues to attempt to apply the update, but it never works.

Try shutting down Emby server, then download and install the update from our website on top of your existing version. Please see if that helps.